pH experiment (1 Viewer)

kyu_chan

the REAL nightmare begins
HSC
well, this year's paper was good ^^ we're so lucky XD

Kyroth***

HSC
I did dry ice and data loggers. I had it for my trial too!
There are only so many pracs they can ask for for bio, and thats one of the better ones, cos its and actual PRAC prac, where you can have an actual method, not like "look through the microscope and record what u see".
I'm more worried about chem with pracs. *shudders*

stu_jacks88

I had it for my trial as well, but we had to write out both the blowing through the straw one, AND the calcium carbonate/sulfuric acid one. Bastards. i only did the calcium carbonate one for the actual test.

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
did it ask for it? i thought it just asked for method, variables and reliability?

i did the blowing into a straw one
Variables: independent - Carbon dioxide
Dependent: pH of water

Method: Blah blah

Reliability: tested in lime water
used a control.
damn, i should have said i repeated it 20 times. XD

Oso

Biotechnician in Training
HSC
Teachers at my school who are HSC markers told us, that even if they don't ask for one that you should give one, 'cause it's gonna be in the marking criteria.

Bboymot

Freshest member ever
HSC
hehheehe

Y'all forget to state you had to PROVE human breath contains C02.

Before blowing into a test tube, you had to blow into limewater and observe it turning milky.

Sorry to dissapoint lol

MiniT

Merlin The Sorcerer
Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun
HSC
I did the bubbling expired air into a test tube one. I basically wrote that you first bubble expired air in a test tube of lime water to confirm that CO2 is present. Then you set up 2 tt with equal amounts of tap water and add 2 drops of universal indicator. Bubble expired air into one and compare the colour change. Repeat the experiment many times for reliability. Variables are the size of the test tubes, the amount of time you bubble for, the amount of water etc etc.

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC

frootloop

HSC
Bboymot said:
hehheehe

Before blowing into a test tube, you had to blow into limewater and observe it turning milky.

Sorry to dissapoint lol
Hold on!

Proving that exhaled air contains CO2 is how you ensure the VALIDITY of the experiment, i.e. that the experiment tests what it is actually supposed to measure. So you breathe into limewater=turns milky. Therefore exhaled air has CO2.

However, the question asked for the REALIBILITY of the experiment, i.e. the repeatability of the experiment. So you show it is reliable if you repeat it a few times and the same result occurs. So it is RELIABLE. You should also have a tight control on variables (such as those described in your method) so that if the experiment were carried out by someone else the same result would occur.

Reliability and validity are completely different things. An experiment can be valid without being reliable or reliable without being valid.

What did I do? I mentioned breathing into limewater at the beginning of my prac but I put in brackets that this was for validity.

At least that's how I interpreted the question.

Bboymot

Freshest member ever
HSC
well it doesnt matter so long as you mentioned it hehe

frootloop

HSC
Bboymot said:
well it doesnt matter so long as you mentioned it hehe
Oh. Well OK. LOL. And here I was feeling compelled to argue my p.o.v and needing to prove myself (and confirm to myself of what I had written). :rolleyes:

Well yes. I did mention it in the exam. He he.

stfu noob

HSC
Bboymot said:
hehheehe

Sorry to dissapoint lol
Haha, well that's a fail for me then! :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)