Pharmacy at USyd (1 Viewer)

jefter

HSC
I want to do Pharmacy at USyd.
I havent done the STAT multiple choice yet.
I was wondering that if i do a science degree at UNSW or USyd i.e. Bachelor of Science or Medical Science, for 2 years or so, can i transfer back to Pharmacy at USyd?

It states in the 2009 UAC Guide under Pharmacy at USyd that if an individual has 1-2years of full time tertiary study they can transfer to Pharmacy.

Whats that whole story? How can i get into it directly?, and if i can't how can i get into Pharmacy later?

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
jefter said:
I was wondering that if i do a science degree at UNSW or USyd i.e. Bachelor of Science or Medical Science, for 2 years or so, can i transfer back to Pharmacy at USyd?
After one full year of university studies the selection team would consider your application based on your GPA for that year, as well as your UAI (it's a combination I believe).

(Additional criteria e.g stat is also in place to sort the wheat from the chunder)

If you did not sit the HSC, and gained admission to university via some other scheme, 2 years of full time study @ uni is required - this is plausible considering it wouldn't be fair since they are unable to rank you because you do not have a UAI (remember the combination GPA/UAI).

Do you understand what I'm typing?

jefter

HSC
What is a GPA and how is it different to the UAI?
Also, is it necessary to have a credit or distinction average to be considered?

-tal-

HSC
jefter said:
What is a GPA and how is it different to the UAI?
Also, is it necessary to have a credit or distinction average to be considered?
GPA - Grade Point Average. It's an average range of the marks you get for a particular course. eg. between 70-85 is a distinction I think. I'm not too sure.

Is it necessary? Most probably. You're going to have to stand out and be the most "attractive" (i use the word loosely) applicant to transfer to pharmacy. You're going to have to give them a very good reason to let you switch. Think of the other applicants trying to get in.

Last edited:

jefter

HSC
OK, lets say a distintion average is 70-85.
What is was wondering is this...
How difficult is it to obtain this kind of GPA score in a course such as Pharmacy, assuming I gain admission?

Because it is my belief that a distinction average is much easier to to score in certain courses compared to others.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
jefter said:
OK, lets say a distintion average is 70-85.
What is was wondering is this...
How difficult is it to obtain this kind of GPA score in a course such as Pharmacy, assuming I gain admission?

Because it is my belief that a distinction average is much easier to to score in certain courses compared to others.
For uni's which use the GPA system most subjects are scalled into bands like these:

High Distinction 85+ (2-5%)
Distinction 75-84. (<5-10%)
Credit 65-74 (<10-15%)
Pass/Fail <65 (50%+)

Depends on the uni, most scale cohorts regardless of size.

jefter

HSC
Ok...its been a while LOL!!!

Anyways, i am currently studying B Med Sciences at Macquarie Uni, as you can figure my UAI was pretty ridiculous...but ye thats life...

What i'm planning to do is try and transfer to USyd Pharmacy after this year...if i do well enough. If that doesnt work then i plan to complete the B Med Sciences degree in 3yrs and do a Masters in Pharmacy...all up it'll be 5years.

See the thing is if i did BPharm it would've taken 4years, whereas in my current situation it'll take 5years.

My question is: Hypothetically speaking, if i were to gain a Masters degree in Pharmacy...how would this be different to a graduate who has completed a Bachelors in Pharmacy??? Is the 1 year extra that i have to do the only difference? Or is it much more than that...if any?

Doomah

HSC
masters is full fee paying and there is no gaurantee u will get in after the 3 years.

u mayaswell try to get into pharmacy undergraduate NOW, if u cant get in, then try again a year later undergraduate and postgraduate.

anyway what is your GPA? u would need at least a 4.75 to transfer into pharmacy at sydney and 150 stat score.

5.0 would pretty much gaurantee u entry.

jefter

HSC
I'm in my 1st year...like the 7th week of my 1st semester...

How can you transfer now?

My original question remains unanswered... :(

Doomah

HSC
finish the first year and then apply thru uac again in september 09. for an 10 entry as a first year

lala2

Banned
HSC
Doomah, are you referring to GPAs out of 7? Because you need a distinction average, which makes it a GPA of 6. Macquarie ranks their GPAs out of 4 I think, which means a GPA of 3.

Tim035

HSC
I remember reading some where on Usyd's website that the entry level that they'll consider you for transfer into B.Pharm (undergrad) is 5.5 = A 50/50 of credits and distinctions in your prior course. If your UAI isn't up to scratch I'd definately be setting a GPA of 6 as the target.

heybashme

HSC
What about say you are doing pharmacy in another state (south Australia) and you want to transfer into second year pharmacy in usyd is it possible.... And if so would they still take into account your GPA for that year and ur UAI?

lala2

Banned
HSC
Wow I've heard of people contemplating transferring from CSU to USYD but never from interstate to USYD. But yeah, most definitely possible, they take into account GPA and your UAI as usual. Oh, and don't forget to sit STAT MCQ too.

sydneyphoenix

HSC
N/A
Keep in mind that while they will grant some credit for the subjects studied in Pharmacy degrees in other universities, you most likely will have to still take four years to complete the degree after any successful transfer. The subject contents don't exactly align betweeen universities just because you are doing same degree. You will probably end up with four-year stint with reduced loading in first two years or so.

jefter

HSC
Ok i've done my 1st semester exams doing Medical Sciences...havent done very well, out of 7 my GPA is 4.5, out to Macq's version of 4 its 2.5 i think...do i need to get a minimum of 5 out of 7 to guarantee a transfer to Usyd pharmacy??? Is what i got a Credit average??? Anyways...

Btw i've done my STAT MCQ Exam and got over 150, i think there is a 2-3 yr valididy on the STAT Exam i did in 2008...

Anyways...i'm thinking my chances are very slim...any thoughts/suggestions?

lala2

Banned
HSC
USYD pharmacy is distinction average, which I think translates to 6/7. 4.5 is a mid pass I think. Double check these numbers in the transfers forum though, but if my numbers are correct, your chances are very slim.

Doomah

HSC
actually a 5 will gaurantee u entry. 4.75 will prob be enough though. 4.5 is possible << trust me its not hearsay, i know people who have transfered to USY pharm with GPA of less than 5.

the UAI last year has only been reported to be around 89

Last edited:

jefter

HSC
actually a 5 will gaurantee u entry. 4.75 will prob be enough though. 4.5 is possible << trust me its not hearsay, i know people who have transfered to USY pharm with GPA of less than 5.

the UAI last year has only been reported to be around 89
My UAI in 2008 was only 81.20 =( ...so i'm thinking i need a 5/7

I'm just gonna try my best and see what happens

Doomah

HSC
dont usyd take just UAI after u have done 1 year full time uni??? check that so your UAI may not be relevant anyways

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)