PhB and R&D (1 Viewer)

Lieutenant_21

HSC
What does it take to get into these degrees at ANU? How difficult are they?
It says the cut off is 99 but then says they care about extracurriculars more then the ATAR :( (I have almost no extras lol)
Anyone doing any of these degrees? What is the diffidence between them and advanced science or engineering at UNSW/USYD?

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Extracurriculars are highly important. We want professionals who are well rounded people, not just book smart.

Lieutenant_21

HSC
But what they are looking for in "extracurricular" is academic olympiads and competitions so they are looking for ultra book smart people lol
Do you go to ANU?

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
The extracurriculars thing is bullshit. If you get above 99 (especially if you get well above 99), you'll get in. Obviously they want olympiad people, or people who have been high achievers in some way, but it's not mandatory. They take about 30 kids a year for PhB science, and there's only so many olympiad kids...

Karmix

HSC
I have a fair few friends doing this, and they're all high achievers. JUST getting above 99 is not enough. For example, one of my friends doing it got 99.95, another was captain of their school, and in the science olympiad - others are just simply maths geniuses. It's very competitive, but if you do get a very high ATAR as humphdogg said, well above 99, they'll let you in. Good luck =)

Procyon11

HSC
Uni Grad
It might be easy to group the PhB and R&D into the '99+ ATAR points club' now, but remember that they are in fact different degrees, even though they both have a heavy research focus. In the first year they can be very similar, but in second year the engineering degree starts to branch off into less theoretical physics and maths, and more practical applications and problem-solving. That does not, however, mean it becomes any easier. :p

If you like practical problem solving using science, as well as more 'theoretical' science, you could always do a combined degree B Engineering (R&D) / B Science, which is what I'm doing, and from what I have been told is in fact what most R&D students do. The theoretical knowledge of physics, chemistry or biology (for example) complements the research and development focus of the engineering degree. (Also: In your electives don't feel pressured in choosing maths-focused courses, it's absolutely ok to try something different, like philosophy, anthropology, environmental science or politics - and electives can be a good break from your main courses.)

I applied to the R&D program with a high 98 ATAR, and had no problems getting in. When I went to one of the advisory days, they said they might want to look at my maths score to make sure I could 'cope with the course', and after that it all went smoothly. One of my friends applied with a lower 98 ATAR, and he got in as well. The fact that he did well in the ANU secondary college physics program helped his cause. Other friends in the program got 99.2-99.95 ATARs and of course also had no problems applying and getting in.

As for the PhB, I have several friends in that program. If you get above 99 you have a good chance of getting into the PhB. If you don't get in, the B Science (Advanced) program is good too. It's not all about your marks, give the PhB a try first. They generally like to meet with you when you apply and talk to you about your motivations to apply to such an 'exclusive' degree. Don't worry too much about the extra-curriculars, they don't play such a big deal as long as they can see you can engage with other people and have a multitude of interests outside of academic study at school - in other words, that you're also interested in and capable of learning on your own.

In fact, that's a big theme at university: managing your own learning. No more hand holding, it's up to you to manage how you pace your learning; whether you go to lectures or watch them online; if you buy the recommended textbook or find extra sources for learning; or if you spend an evening studying or at the ANU bar. Nevertheless, you'll meet lots of interesting people at the ANU just like you - especially in the PhB and R&D degree. Both degrees have their own little communities that have guest lectures and lunches every once in a while, and are very supportive of new students.

You can expect ~20 contact hours (ie. a mix of lectures/tutorials/labs/pracs) per week, with a total recommended workload of 40 hours (or 10 hours per course). What I have found though is that is a conservative estimate, you'll find yourself spending a lot of time doing the assignments, especially in MATH1115, and simply keeping up with all the courses. Also worth noting, it is expected of you to get a HD (80%) average to stay in the degree, otherwise they will shift you into the standard engineering or science degrees. But don't worry about that now, if you're generally motivated and have good study habits you'll do well in the PhB or R&D, and most importantly you'll enjoy your time at uni.

Last edited:

rife168

HSC
If you get over 99 you will be accepted, and it doesn't need to be well over 99. I got 99.10 and actually got an early offer (got a call from ANU before christmas). If you don't get over 99 then that's when your extra-curriculars come into play.

Possibly my favourite part of doing the PhB is the flexibility, I did 1st year & 2nd year maths, physics and philosophy in semester 1, and now I'm going to be doing 1st, 2nd and 3rd year maths courses, physics and electronics in semester 2. You can basically choose whatever courses you want as long as you justify it to the course coordinator - basically just having a chat to her about it. I think the only courses that are off-limits are some of the specialty music and arts courses which are only available to people doing specific degrees, such as the B. Design Arts - Gold and Silversmithing courses, for example.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)