Philosophy (1 Viewer)

mei_ling03

Ain't love grand.
HSC
helloOO! well, it's a shame i didn't come back to find another 8 pages of discussion here... cmon guys don't you all have something to say about this topic? oh well just here to browse.. have fun

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by ChangingPants
Ahh yes, philosophy. One that always always has a profound effect on me is contemplation of the concept of existence. Not existentialism, but existence. We know as little about existence as we do about death. Stare at yourself in the mirror sometimes, and try to step outside yourself, look at yourself as though from the eyes of a stranger. It is a momentary sensation when you manage to wrap your mind around something so puzzling as existence and being... it only lasts a split second - perhaps beyond the reach and capabilities of our limited human minds?
hell yeah how weird is that

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by lengstar
and what of people who have no respect for other people, who think those that do not believe in God don't deserve to go to heaven, yet there are people who don't people in God and are much better people than those that do? who is more deserving? the stuck up elitist bitch or the humble person?
the humble person of course
imo - believing in god is not everything, it does not determine your deservance, more important is how you use this belief to live, and if you don't use it at all, then its bs

i'll read this whole thread one day

johnwoo

I've skimmed through this thread and I'm proud to see ppl discussing this topic. I've noticed however that alot of you assume too much and forget to free your mind of any "facts" or "truths". Remember the uncertainty and that theres always multiple view points. You could start with the simplest "facts" and ask yourself 'why?' in absolutely every thought as you progress further.

"If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things." - Ren Descartes

"I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of all that exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." - Albert Einstein

Try not assuming that god thinks like humans, so... simply. Question god's primordial and current existence and reason for existence (that voltaire quote is an all-time goodie!). Even if you are a christian (I was when younger). I spoke with a devout christian once who commended me, saying something along the lines of "God wants us to question and search for him because if we search with all our hearts we will surely find him."

Well keep up the good work guys. Perhaps look into gnosticism, pantheism, idealism etc with serious thought. Most importantly, keep your minds thinking, keep questioning and you will keep growing. Enjoy.

BTW, go matrix !!

Last edited:

lengstar

HSC
Existentialism, i'm still in denial over my own existence.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
has this turned into a religion thread? we need another philosophical topic

sei

HSC
Originally posted by iambored
has this turned into a religion thread? we need another philosophical topic
not yet. Religion is a HUGE part of philosophy. So in discussing religion, this thread has actually stayed on topic very well..

And still no-one wants to refute the arguments I put up?..

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
A question that I have been wondering...

It revolves around perspectives.

Is everyone equal?

We all feel that the world revolves around us. Each individual has their own point of view. Whether it is going out, breathing, walking, moving, it appears as though you control your life. Everything around you revolves around your actions. You are the center of attention.

But how is that possible?

Who is to say that you are the center of attention when everyone in the world has their own perspective to look upon.

I believe and know that there is a main focus. One person which the world/universe truely revolves around. Can you guess?

I certainly would love to take philosophy to get a lot of these questions answered or at least have a better understanding.

Nobody is equal. Individuals aren't equal to themselves on some days. People all have equal rank in terms of being human, but this is not the same as being equal generally.

I have often wondered what it would be like to 'step into' somebody elses body for a bit and think their thoughts (while knowing I'm really me) and experience being them.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Philosophy is in essence thought. And I've started a website purely based on thought. :D

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
well.... i aint sure exactly how u can study philosophy
although i find it funny because i tend to blurt out unusual things n every1 tells me i shuld b a philosopher :p

rubylotus11

I am interested in philosophy, although I have to admit I don't have that much knowledge of it. I'm hoping to learn more though.

aLeeOh!

about to explode
HSC
Originally posted by PacifistWarrior
Nobody is equal. Individuals aren't equal to themselves on some days. People all have equal rank in terms of being human, but this is not the same as being equal generally.

I have often wondered what it would be like to 'step into' somebody elses body for a bit and think their thoughts (while knowing I'm really me) and experience being them.

yeh.. ive often thought that too... just to see what its like... but the thing is.. even though you've "stepped into" another person's body and are thinking "their" thoughts.. is it really their thoughts that you are thinking?.. i mean.. okay... everyone has their own experiences right? and the way interpret certain events, etc. totally differs from person to person because we all see things differently due to our own personal experiences, thoughts, etc.
so if you really were "somebody else" and supposedly were thinking "their" thoughts, wouldnt it be greatly influenced by your own?
so in the end, their actually just your interpretations on someone else's thoughts which in a way would make it in the end your thoughts anyway?
far... did that make sense?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)