Physical Journey: Unexpected Detours (1 Viewer)

HSC
historykidd said:
3/4 of my texts had no detours -_-

Fucking polish immigrant.

same!! useless f*cking english question. couldve asked some easy ass question that we couldve all gotten 15/15.

antheajirgens

HSC
N/A
pffft the whole thing was lame. i just talked about how Drive in the country was a detour from his usual life and how the immigrants at central station were apprehensive of the future because of the idea of unexpected detours or something. I dunno the whole thing was crap. And for creative writing my peice didnt fit so i just made the quote a passing comment instead of a 'central theme' or whatever. MEH! its oveerrr!

eppingMCE

HSC
Well i did Crossing the Red Sea, Immigrants at central station, 1951 and the stimulus texts Journeys over land and Sea, and i wrote that the change in emtions from Crossing the Red sea to immigrants at central station depicts there confusion and frustration due to the unexpected detours that they faced. For the Stimulus texts i wrote that the texts promotes a sense of fear through the graphics, illustrating the immaginative fear of seamonsters consuming a ship, thus depicting how there are always detours in physical journeys, and this concept is evidently support by the texts in which i have studied......HEHEH so much BS
:bomb:

morganforrest

HSC
antheajirgens said:
pffft the whole thing was lame. i just talked about how Drive in the country was a detour from his usual life and how the immigrants at central station were apprehensive of the future because of the idea of unexpected detours or something. I dunno the whole thing was crap. And for creative writing my peice didnt fit so i just made the quote a passing comment instead of a 'central theme' or whatever. MEH! its oveerrr!
Hi Ant :wave:

But I didn't think it was too bad. Imo detour = obstacle and my generic essay had all been about challenges and obstacles.

True that it was hard to adapt to Skrzynecki but I used Feliks and Leaving Home and said that he'd lost control/ownership of the journey and deviated off his intended path, hence he had to reestablish control to bring it back.

Used Frost, wasn't too bad and my related text (The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho) fitted perfectly.

Overall I didn't think the paper was too bad tbh.

historykidd

HSC
morganforrest said:
Hi Ant :wave:

But I didn't think it was too bad. Imo detour = obstacle and my generic essay had all been about challenges and obstacles.

True that it was hard to adapt to Skrzynecki but I used Feliks and Leaving Home and said that he'd lost control/ownership of the journey and deviated off his intended path, hence he had to reestablish control to bring it back.

Used Frost, wasn't too bad and my related text (The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho) fitted perfectly.

Overall I didn't think the paper was too bad tbh.
To me it was without a doubt the hardest AOS exam I've ever seen. I've pretty much done all the past HSC papers / CSSA 2004-6 and the idea of detours was incredibly left field whilst section I was very complex and inaccessible to a great deal of candiature.

Also, detours are not simply obstacles :/. It seems to be a very polarized issue but I doubt you could reach the upper bands if you simply spewed out a generic essay on obstacles v growth - my teachers seemed to agree that wasn't the focus and the HSC advice line confirmed this.

Last edited:

cyncyn2007

HSC
i thought this question was quite easy. But i screwed up pretty bad in section 1 hahahha... like no comment.

For awAy i just basically talked about Gwen's unexpected reconciliation from experiences encountered on her physical journey.

A detour is just change right ? lol

eppingMCE

HSC
cyncyn2007 said:
i thought this question was quite easy. But i screwed up pretty bad in section 1 hahahha... like no comment.

For awAy i just basically talked about Gwen's unexpected reconciliation from experiences encountered on her physical journey.

A detour is just change right ? lol
LOL no wonder u think it was easy, your delusional. a detour is just change?? ahah..... a detour is an obstacle that slows you down.

N

noir.

A detour can be interpreted as anything... change, decision-making, overcoming obstacles and grief...

zahraBGHS

HSC
hey im doing raw and i have to relate it to the "Geriatric Patient" but i dont have alot of info can you help me

zahraBGHS

HSC
geriatric patient

can some one give me info on the geriatric patient poem plzz

anna12125

HSC
I thought that this year's question was easier than last year's one. last year's question was quite horrible. I just saw the detours as obstacles or challenges and it depends on the assumptions of the travellers.
I did Wind in the Willows, it fit in quite nicely =)

morganforrest

HSC
historykidd said:
To me it was without a doubt the hardest AOS exam I've ever seen. I've pretty much done all the past HSC papers / CSSA 2004-6 and the idea of detours was incredibly left field whilst section I was very complex and inaccessible to a great deal of candiature.

Also, detours are not simply obstacles :/. It seems to be a very polarized issue but I doubt you could reach the upper bands if you simply spewed out a generic essay on obstacles v growth - my teachers seemed to agree that wasn't the focus and the HSC advice line confirmed this.
No I didn't just spew out a generic essay....but I do agree that section 1 was hard....did anyone else notice the drought of techniques???

ryn101

HSC
I too talked about obstacles. But i think i remember talking about how they create detours, putting the traveller off track. Overall i wrote 8 pages of medium sized writting although i wasn't too happy with my answer, very basic :bomb:

fishy89sg

HSC
historykidd said:
I doubt you could reach the upper bands if you simply spewed out a generic essay on obstacles v growth - my teachers seemed to agree that wasn't the focus and the HSC advice line confirmed this.
then what did we need to talk about?

Chinmoku03

Ippen, Shin de Miru?
HSC
Shit -.-;

I droned on about detours as in the unknown elements associated with a journey and detours as choices presented within a journey... If unexpected detours = obstacles, then I'm fucked, seeing as I mentioned nothing whatsoever regarding obstacles x.x;

Oh dear, I even used Road Not Taken to oppose the question... -.-;

sezza899

HSC
AS long as you define what your interpretation of an “unexpected detour” is, than whatever you say – if it fits the definition should be fine.

I put they weren’t just physical, but emotional detours encountered on the physical journey – emotions that weren’t expected and change the outcome of the journey

Last edited:

morganforrest

HSC
I wouldn't get too caught up in what's right and worong...it is english after all, as long as you argued correctly with plenty of evidence to support your thesis

Alternatively you could be completely wrong

fishy89sg

HSC
sezza899 said:
AS long as you define what your interpretation of an “unexpected detour” is, than whatever you say – if it fits the definition should be fine.

I put they weren’t just physical, but emotional detours encountered on the journey – emotions that weren’t expected and change the outcome of the journey

you had to define the unexpected detour?

i just focused on the extent to which it was in the texts - not defining it

historykidd

HSC
morganforrest said:
No I didn't just spew out a generic essay....but I do agree that section 1 was hard....did anyone else notice the drought of techniques???
I think BOS will take a liberal stance towards marking. As poster above me said, it could've even been emotional detours (a pretty original way to approach it imo).m Yes there was a lack of noticable techniques this year and text three was pretty unfair for standard students imo as most Advanced students (such as myself) struggled to find strong motifs or techniques outside of imagetic language or changing register :/.

jebemti

HSC
during the reading time i read over the question and sort of began to panic as my essay only briefly discusses obastacles etc.

b4 i begin i also think its not fair that eng has become how much a person can write rather than wat they can write
i had a prepared essay which i recognised that i had to do because i am an extremely slow writer and i cannot write up a decent length essay without already having something in my mind. However i can right pretty well.. i used 3 skrzynecki poems immigrants, leaving home and drive in the country..and ivory trail which i found very difficult to link to question

i tried my best to adapt the essay but i was tight on time aswell..i would jst like to known how important it is to adapt to the question and completely answer it

with the same essay ive gotten 15/15 and 14/15 wat would i be looking at in the worst case scenario

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)