Physically cannot bring myself to write notes. (1 Viewer)

Bongos

HSC
How important is it ?
I literally just cannot do it.

My marks are still good and my ranks are good.

Is it important? I try to just do questions.

Is this bad?

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
How important is it ?

Is this bad?
Lol

Nah do whatever you feel works.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Its fine just do whatever works for you. Honestly if you just do questions, as long as you don't take massive one month breaks where you forget the smallest details then you should be fine.

It might be a good idea to write down notes though of stuff that is very vague and you might not remember after a while.

I used to base all my work off writing notes and then by HSC I did not even look at them once in the one month lead up.

Honestly, because I was so used to writing notes, I found it hard to adjust to the times of uni because note writing is a long process and when you don't have as much time now as you did back in HSC its harder.

Also, when you are doing stuff like engineering or science, the notes are useless. The best thing is to just practice heaps and heaps of questions after you have learnt the theory. (probably not applicable to you now but might be in future).

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Its fine just do whatever works for you. Honestly if you just do questions, as long as you don't take massive one month breaks where you forget the smallest details then you should be fine.

It might be a good idea to write down notes though of stuff that is very vague and you might not remember after a while.

I used to base all my work off writing notes and then by HSC I did not even look at them once in the one month lead up.

Honestly, because I was so used to writing notes, I found it hard to adjust to the times of uni because note writing is a long process and when you don't have as much time now as you did back in HSC its harder.

Also, when you are doing stuff like engineering or science, the notes are useless. The best thing is to just practice heaps and heaps of questions after you have learnt the theory. (probably not applicable to you now but might be in future).
pretty much this.

just understand the content (how you do this is up to you) and then start doing what you know (through past papers, questions, teach someone, etc)

enoilgam

HSC
As people have noted above, it really depends on what works for you. If writing notes is a method which doesnt work for you then dont bother with it. However, that being said, note taking is a universal study method and at some point you will probably need to learn this skill (whether for HS or Uni). So it might be an idea to give it a try at some point. Given that you are in year 12 though, it's probably better to stick with a winning strategy at this point - but in uni, you may need to revisit the issue.

Mikasa

HSC
For a lot of subjects, writing notes is merely a form of procrastination that diverts attention from the real task at hand (actually learning & memorising the content). I know I am guilty of this on many occasions. As others have said, whether or not you should write notes depends on your learning style. My friend (who doesn't write notes ever. Not even for content-heavy subjects like Economics) seems fare okay without them. It's a very handy skill to learn and have, however.

hecticated

HSC
I have a friend who is top 5 in chemistry, physics and biology and i know she doesn't really write notes, she does a lot of reading and practice questions. IS THAT YOU? haha but as everyone above is saying, whatever works for you :)

ivyengee

HSC
I know some learn better by just doing past papers and as many questions as possible so maybe you're one of those people!

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
I never really wrote notes, just watched youtube videos and learnt everything. Whatever floats yo boat.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
How important is it ?

Is this bad?
I never made notes for one subject where people were notes obsessed. In the end, I achieved a solid mark in Modern History so like do with your study time what you feel best benefits you.

However, I did feel note taking/summarising was useful in one of my subs in particular (Biology) so did spend the time to do it for that sub and it worked well.

Depends on the sub, you and how comfortable you are with the content to how much it helps. Also, making your own notes/summary are helpful if you refer to lots of sources and really collab in making them rather than just slotting it in exactly as you did in class.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)