Physics HSC Study Guides & Textbooks (1 Viewer)

Best Physics Textbook?

• Total voters

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Re: Physics Books to buy

What about Spotlight Physics?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Re: Recommended Texbooks/Study Guides for Preliminary HSC?

What's the best textbook for HSC Physics? My friend just called me and wants to know what to buy. (EXCEPT Jacaranda Physics as it will be supplied by school). Immediate answer will be really appreciated.

Thanks guys.

The Kaiser

HSC

lyounamu said:
What's the best textbook for HSC Physics? My friend just called me and wants to know what to buy. (EXCEPT Jacaranda Physics as it will be supplied by school). Immediate answer will be really appreciated.

Thanks guys.
Physics Contexts (Longman) is probably your best bet.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

lyounamu said:

Thanks guys
Jacaranda would be the best - but since you're being given it - just use that? It should be enough in my opinion.

alez

feel like an angel
HSC
Re: Physics Books to buy

excel and jacaranda are pretty good for studying alongside whatever you are learning in school
cant go past dot point and past papers for studying for hsc though

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

lyounamu said:

Thanks guys.
I reckon Spotlight Physics would be great. :p

nick3157

Not Actually A Member
HSC
Re: Which Physics HSC study guide, textbooks etc?

dotpoint physics is an awesome study guide. its got more questions than youll ever need, plus answers (including long response answers) and summaries on each unit. it may not have all of the electives tho (i think it only has quanta to quarks which i dont do) but its worth getting just to revise with.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad

JUst wondering the order of texbooks in terms of which would best supplement Physics in Context 2 and Jacaranda 2.

The books im considering atm are Spotlight and Macmillan. Would anyone care to say which one is better?

samwell

HSC
Re: Best physics textbook...

Adrian. said:
Hi, I know this is an open ended question but what is the best physics textbook? I'm going to be doing physics by distance ed. so one with good explanations would be good. Than you in advance.
Jacaranda is gud 4 most sections but in some sections it goes on abt very interesting stuff that we dont really need. i can recommend macquarie physics as a bare minimum standard book. helps with some dot points. Get smart physics sucks its explanations in comparison to jacaranda are pretty crap. excel physics tyhe new one is pretty gud.

r0b

HSC

Dot point Physics is brilliant

lionking1191

HSC

Charity F said:
erm

i've heard the chem one isn't too good
soooo that lessens cred for the phys one
but check it out, i suppose

the most useful textbooks/studyguides for me have been
- Dotpoint HSC Physics Multiple Choice
- Jacaranda
- Macquarie Revision Guide: Physics

that + past HY/Trial/HSC papers are really all you need
spotlight's okay for some sections (like relativity)

jacaranda is good for a general guide - but you have to pick out the bs that you really don't need to know

in context is pretty concise to the point

but all in all dotpoint win hands down

ronnknee

Live to eat
HSC

I disagree with many here

I prefer the Excel textbook over the Jacaranda simply because the content is straight to the point whereas the Jacaranda gives way too much information on the context. Mind me, I have only the first edition of Jacaranda. I don't know where this is applicable with the second version

I also have the Macquarie Revision Guide. It's useless, haven't touched it more than 5 times since I bought it. It has way too little information

Physics Dot Points is very useful as well however you might get bored of it because there are so many repetitive questions

I found Success One extremely useful when I was preparing for my trials

I reckon the best second-hand notes are from Charles Stuart University's website
ie. http://www.hsc.csu.edu.au/physics

Print them off and highlight the keypoints. They're really helpful, however they cannot be solely relied on

Last edited:

lionking1191

HSC

ronnknee said:
I disagree with many here

I prefer the Excel textbook over the Jacaranda simply because the content is straight to the point whereas the Jacaranda gives way too much information on the context. Mind me, I have only the first edition of Jacaranda. I don't know where this is applicable with the second version

I also have the Macquarie Revision Guide. It's useless, haven't touched it more than 5 times since I bought it. It has way too little information

Physics Dot Points is very useful as well however you might get bored of it because there are so many repetitive questions

I found Success One extremely useful when I was preparing for my trials

I reckon the best second-hand notes are from Charles Stuart University's website
ie. http://www.hsc.csu.edu.au/physics

Print them off and highlight the keypoints. They're really helpful, however they cannot be solely relied on
lol agree with macquarie being useless. success one is useful but the answers aren't very well written

pillar

HSC

Anyone want to suggest a good Physics book to work alongside Jacaranda? I mean, Jacaranda is great and all (lots of information and diagrams etc) but it's only got a few questions to really test my knowledge, and those questions rarely have answers in the back of the book (pretty paranoid on making sure I'm getting stuff right lol).

I'm thinking Dot Point Physics, because I've heard it's got plenty of questions and that's mainly what I'm looking for. Something like Conquering Chemistry but for Physics, lol.

Guage

HSC
Best Physics Textbook?

Hey,

I plan to get a Physics textbook for Yr12 this weekend. Which is the most relevant / most succinct / most interesting?

It will be used as a primary text/exercise book, however I've not asked which book my class will actually be using next year. So I don't want a revise-in-a-month-esque thing or el cheapo study guide...

Cheers

PS: A poll will hopefully be coming up soon.

Last edited:

inhinyero

HSC
Re: Best Physics Textbook?

University Physcs 11th ed. by Young and Freedman. Very complete textbook with a lot of physics problems to solve in. the explanations are detailed as well.. i could highly recommend this one.

Guage

HSC

University Physcs 11th ed. by Young and Freedman. Very complete textbook with a lot of physics problems to solve in. the explanations are detailed as well.. i could highly recommend this one.
Cheers. I'll add it to the list for polling, once I bloody well know how. For some reason after I'd made my poll it said: You cannot make a poll more than 2 minutes after your thread? Must've been umming and aahing too much...

inhinyero

HSC

Cheers. I'll add it to the list for polling, once I bloody well know how. For some reason after I'd made my poll it said: You cannot make a poll more than 2 minutes after your thread? Must've been umming and aahing too much...

Make a poll then after half an hour.. hey anyway mate, do you know someone who wants to buy PSP 3000? because am selling mine..

eriito

Elite Member
HSC

Jacaranda is fine

kickass91

HSC

i dont think young&freedman would be good. its a university textbook

i presume the guy was asking for a hsc textbook

i recommend the excel physics

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)