Physics HSC Study Guides & Textbooks (1 Viewer)

Best Physics Textbook?

• Total voters

Artemis.

HSC
Re: The best physics textbook

I don't know if Macmillian has later editions, but the edition we were given (in conjunction with Jacaranda, thankfully) was rushed when the new syllabus was released and has lots of errors in the answers in the back.

So far, Jacaranda is really good for me.

karnage

HSC
Which Physics HSC study guide, textbooks etc?

Hello guys, I was wondering if i could get any recommendations on some Physics study guides, textbooks etc for the HSC and Preliminary course.
My school is taking orders atm for Excel, Macquarie and Dot Point study guides etc.

Anyone had any experiences with these study guides?

I've seen the dot point ones which are good for revision since they are packed full of questions. We get the 'Keep it Simple Science' stuff at school so that is covered.

Thanks in advance and any advice is greatly appreciated. :D

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Re: Which Physics HSC study guide, textbooks etc?

Excel HSC Physics is at least an actual study guide, contains internet websites for you to check out and key points ... Excel HSC (insert any of my subjects here) are either just tiny little summaries or just better off being textbooks.

Last edited:

karnage

HSC
Re: Which Physics HSC study guide, textbooks etc?

Hmm.... so i guess the general consensus is that Excel isn't that good then? Thats basically what ive been hearing whilst browsing around.

How are the Macquarie stuff?

Danger

HSC
best physics textbook?

what do you guys think the best textbook for physics is? one that explains everything well

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Re: best physics textbook?

Hello:wave:

I think that, for a basic, so to speak, understanding of the physical pricipals, that Physics HSC course 2 (Jacaranda) is a good book and well organised with beautiful pictures, but, in saying that, Spotlight PHYSICS is a good textbook for a advanced understanding, but the down side is that its black and white. My school uses Physics context 1 (preliminary) and context 2 (HSC) for class but its probibalby best if you have more that one. Say, an advanced one (Spotlight, Context2- intermidiate) and one basic for reference ( PHYSICS HSC course 2 [jacaranda]) so that if you are stuck then you can see the basic understanding (but do mind you its not BASIC BASIC i.e. baby physics).

All the textbooks for PHYSICS HSC are listed on this website
http://hsc.csu.edu.au/physics/teachers/2340/phys_teachers.htm
and it also has a few resourses.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Re: best physics textbook?

I hate jacaranda:mad1: Like physics in Context better, or what's even better are first year uni textbooks

Flage

HSC
Physics Textbooks

Hey,

I'm doing Physics as one of my subjects but as yet do not have a textbook. What do people here consider the most comprehensive textbook or consider the best? Alternatively, any information on other physics related texts which offer supplementary material? (I'm probably doing Medical Physics as my elective)

D.Buff

Understated.
HSC
N/A
Re: Physics Textbooks

*sigh*
How many times have "which textbook is best" threads been made?

jac > context > surfing > kiss > mac > excel > excel in a month

There I summed it up. Use the search function for more details.;)

*note kiss and surfing don't have notes on Med Phys.

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC

in my opinion
jacarada is the best, followed by excel, macmillian is alright but the one i have is outdated and the only good thing about macquarie is the diagrams.
+ hsc online is good

karnage

HSC

I use a combination of Jacaranda, HSC Online and KISS.

Also have Macquarie and Excel which i use occasionally.

TurkStyle

HSC
Physics Books to buy

Should i buy the excel year 12 physics book for $25 in my school

will that be enough plus wateva my school gives?

do i need to buy more and which one

Last edited:

independantz

HSC
Re: Physics Books to buy

Honestly you really need one text books as the rest generally supply the same information in different ways. In my opinion Jacaranda is the best physics book so if your school suppliesyou with that, then that's sufficient. However, you'd probably be best off investing in a HSC dotpoint book for physics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)