Physics Options (1 Viewer)

xGhanem

HSC
If my teacher decides to teach an option (just because she wants to), and I as a student really want to learn another option, am I able to do it myself? (the option I want to do, since it's 'optional').

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
yes, BUT you have to do that option in the trial exam (if you have them) but in the hsc you can do whatever you like

xGhanem

HSC
yes, BUT you have to do that option in the trial exam (if you have them) but in the hsc you can do whatever you like
Oh, so I still have to do the assignments that she gives out as well?

iBibah

HSC
Oh, so I still have to do the assignments that she gives out as well?
yep, essentially if you were to do that you'd still have to learn the one in class for trials. But in the hsc exam, the teacher doesn't know or care what you do.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Depends on the teacher.

I have a friend who did my option which probably cost a B6.

But in saying that they never studied for the class option nor any other option.

They did that option in HSC just because they had a bit of underlying knowledge in it and they were interested in it.

If your teacher goes through the content, then do the option your teacher does for school and HSC. However, in my case our teacher let us choose random options because we had a small class. Also, our teacher was very understanding to the few of us that needed different options to each other to finalise our choice of uni courses the next year. So in the end our teacher helped a little bit on each option and instead of working through the theory, they chose to show us how to maximise marks in HSC. So we did not have an assessment for our option modules as a result of this.

In the end I got 22/25 for my option this way even though the content was up to me to all learn. So generally, in HSC you need to be more careful as to how to maximise your marks. So adequate preparation is key to maximise marks. To do this, if your teacher is helping you with content, then just stick to the teacher's option as this will maximise marks. However, if you desperately need to do another option as it might help you decide whether you want to enter a particular path in uni, then talk to your teacher about the situation and see how lenient they are.

However, if the teacher says no, the teacher says no, and unfortunately you will have to endure the class option.

xGhanem

HSC
Depends on the teacher.

I have a friend who did my option which probably cost a B6.

But in saying that they never studied for the class option nor any other option.

They did that option in HSC just because they had a bit of underlying knowledge in it and they were interested in it.

If your teacher goes through the content, then do the option your teacher does for school and HSC. However, in my case our teacher let us choose random options because we had a small class. Also, our teacher was very understanding to the few of us that needed different options to each other to finalise our choice of uni courses the next year. So in the end our teacher helped a little bit on each option and instead of working through the theory, they chose to show us how to maximise marks in HSC. So we did not have an assessment for our option modules as a result of this.

In the end I got 22/25 for my option this way even though the content was up to me to all learn. So generally, in HSC you need to be more careful as to how to maximise your marks. So adequate preparation is key to maximise marks. To do this, if your teacher is helping you with content, then just stick to the teacher's option as this will maximise marks. However, if you desperately need to do another option as it might help you decide whether you want to enter a particular path in uni, then talk to your teacher about the situation and see how lenient they are.

However, if the teacher says no, the teacher says no, and unfortunately you will have to endure the class option.
I guess you're right :/
I was kind of in the same situation, I already have a bit of knowledge in the option I want to do (Quanta to Quarks), other than that I just find it WAYYY more interesting than what she wants to teach (Medical Physics), but I hear medical physics is really easy so I guess it's not that big a deal, and I don't wanna risk it, so I'll just stick to whatever she teaches...

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I guess you're right :/
I was kind of in the same situation, I already have a bit of knowledge in the option I want to do (Quanta to Quarks), other than that I just find it WAYYY more interesting than what she wants to teach (Medical Physics), but I hear medical physics is really easy so I guess it's not that big a deal, and I don't wanna risk it, so I'll just stick to whatever she teaches...
It depends what you mean by a bit of knowledge.

Q2Q is the most rote learnable option and whatever you learnt before through youtube vid or whatever, you will have to relearn in the option because a lot in it involves the history of stuff, etc. And the course structure of stuff in HSC are completely different to real life cases as I have discovered in my first few weeks of uni.

But what do you intend to do after HS? Will Q2Q or Medical help you at all?

If you plan to do something in Physics in uni, even then Q2Q would only be helpful in about 2nd year and further giving you plenty of time to read up on the stuff. Medical I would say is a better choice for anything in chemistry, engineering or medical related.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Nice pun on the word 'optional', anyways, I would strongly recommend you stick to what the class does simply because if you don't, you will have wasted an enormous amount of time in class learning about an option you actually don't intend to do and have to have a lot more extra study time. Don't risk it unless you are super confident in the option module you want to do.

xGhanem

HSC
Yeah I'm just gonna stick to whatever our teacher chooses, don't wanna put stress on myself for nothing

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah I'm just gonna stick to whatever our teacher chooses, don't wanna put stress on myself for nothing
Sensible choice. I think it will be worth it in the end to just do what the teacher does in your situation. Anyway there is a much higher chance you will use the stuff you learn in Medical for everyday life or random stuff later on.

xGhanem

HSC
Sensible choice. I think it will be worth it in the end to just do what the teacher does in your situation. Anyway there is a much higher chance you will use the stuff you learn in Medical for everyday life or random stuff later on.
Yeah and I'm certain I'll be learning Q2Q in uni anyway (wanna major in Physics), just wanted a head-start.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah and I'm certain I'll be learning Q2Q in uni anyway (wanna major in Physics), just wanted a head-start.
You won't even start that stuff until second year. Maybe in second semester first year if you are privileged enough.

So you have plenty of time to read up on it. Also, for something like that they start from scratch. Probably the only thing you need at the moment is a good maths and mechanics background.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)