physics or chemistry (1 Viewer)

bemer

HSC
Which one involves more memorising?

and from your experiences which one has been more rewarding for hard study?

All your opinions wanted!!

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Chemistry was more memorising in my opinion. Physics required actual understanding, in my opinion.

spagbowl

bread.
HSC
i found the two subjects to be equal amounts of memorising and equal amounts of rewards really.

bemer

HSC
i found the two subjects to be equal amounts of memorising and equal amounts of rewards really.
what approach did you take to chem

did you make your own notes etc

ps what did you end up getting:)

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Having done both courses, I think HSC Physics is better because I hate memorising.

Of course if we got a paper like the 2009 paper every year, HSC Physics would indeed be purely understanding... just like the old HSC Physics course...

Last edited:

ilikebeeef

HSC
Which one involves more memorising?

and from your experiences which one has been more rewarding for hard study?

All your opinions wanted!!
Chem involves more regurgitating, but I don't mind that. Imo you have to study harder for Physics than Chem, and both are as rewarding as they are hard.

pman

Banned
HSC
phys requires much more understanding, chem much more memorising crap, prob why i did better at phys!

_j-sbugs_24

HSC
i love chemistry =]

but i agree, it requires mass amounts of memorising. which i honestly don't mind seeing as how well it scales...

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Physics does require memorising but looking at this years HSC paper it looks like they're taking out the regurgitating questions.

life92

HSC
chemistry definitely needs more memorising, and phys needs more understanding
but choosing which one,, it really depends on you
some people find memorising really easy and thats just how they get through the hsc
both have great scaling lol
BUT,, i worked my ass off for chem and i only ended up getting 91 and i did like 0 work for phys and had a shit school rank and ended up getting 90
so.. yeah x__x

ValentinesM

HSC
i love chemistry =]
agreed.

• there is more maths involved in physics. which one interests you more? maybe you should flip through the relevant textbooks and see which one appeals to you more. for me, chemistry was more like a personal interest rather than a subject, so i didn't feel like that i was 'studying' for it like i was for English. so it was actually 'fun' to be going through my notes and doing past papers!
  • can you do both?
  • what kind of career do you have in mind? because if you're thinking of doing engineering at uni, physics is assumed knowledge. of course, there is always the bridging course, but it probably isn't that much fun to be rushing an entire year's course into a couple of days, and especially if this takes place in the post hsc summer break =]
  • in terms of HSC reward, just remember that input = output. if you put in enough effort, you'll be rewarded with the marks you deserve. don't pick the subject because of its scaling potentials.
good luck with your decision and your studies!

hdnlv

HSC
for both of them, understanding is more important than memorising :) and for physics if you understand it really well then you really dont have to memorise much at all. for chem though, i think there is more memorising because chemisty you need to memorise properties of many elements and materials etc. and types of bonding, the different chemicals..etc.

both subject have quite a few formulas you need to know

imo, chem is easier in year 11 but for physics, once you Understand what youre learning, its not that hard

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I personally prefer Chemistry on a regular basis, but with a good teacher Physics can really become one of the most interesting subjects that you could possibly choose ^_^

There are a lot of junk formulas in Physics though, whereas in Chemisty to can see what you're getting (unlike in Physics which is take this and punch in numbers :p). It's a personal preference I think.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
I'd prefer Physics but I reckon it's just because of my great teacher. I have had crap Chemistry teachers and that's why I don't enjoy it as much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)