Physiotherapy job prospects? (1 Viewer)

kev-

HSC
How is it? When I graduate from a physio course from uni, will I be guaranteed a job or will I be stuck searching for one?

kev-

HSC
Could you guys please elaborate? Why does it matter (to an extent)?

bangladesh

HSC
The job prospects are higher for USYd students, but even then, they're not great. I know a graduate who is currently working in radiography because he didn't find a full time job. However he's still getting interviews so it's not impossible to get a job either.

madharris

HSC
N/A
Job prospects for physio are not terrible, but in saying that if you know what you're doing, and you do well then it shouldn't be too difficult at all as it goes with any degree. There is a few too many graduates at the moment, however that is soon to change when the NDIS (national disability insurance scheme) is established in sydney, causing there to be a greater need for physios in the community. There's also an aging population, so depending hat you want to do, in a few years time there will be many jobs available if you feel like you need to internally switch physio careers (e.g. paeds to aged care)

The job prospects are higher for USYd students, but even then, they're not great. I know a graduate who is currently working in radiography because he didn't find a full time job. However he's still getting interviews so it's not impossible to get a job either.
Although there may occasionally be some bias towards usyd students, it's definitely nowhere near as big as say doing commerce or science at usyd vs uws. It's more or less the same for all unis in health.

podpaul

HSC
As long as you graduate from a physiotherapy degree, it won't matter at all which university you went to.
If you perform well at uni and your grades are good, that would probably get you a better chance than the uni that you went to.

bangladesh

HSC
As long as you graduate from a physiotherapy degree, it won't matter at all which university you went to.
If you perform well at uni and your grades are good, that would probably get you a better chance than the uni that you went to.
this is certainly not the case. It really matters a lot which university you go to.

podpaul

HSC
And what makes you say that?
I can assure with complete certainty that the university you go to does NOT matter in the medical field. The same goes for whether you do medicine at UNSW or any other uni.

bangladesh

HSC
And what makes you say that?
I can assure with complete certainty that the university you go to does NOT matter in the medical field. The same goes for whether you do medicine at UNSW or any other uni.
we're not talking about medicine. I agree that where you do medicine doesn't matter and that's because theres guaranteed internship once you graduate. With physiotherapy though, it matters a lot as there aren't guaranteed jobs.

podpaul

HSC
we're not talking about medicine. I agree that where you do medicine doesn't matter and that's because theres guaranteed internship once you graduate. With physiotherapy though, it matters a lot as there aren't guaranteed jobs.
I have friends who've graduated from UWS physio, and they had no trouble finding a job.
Tell me if you can find anyone who's graduated from LaTrobe, UWS, Newcastle, or any other universities where they offer physiotherapy who's had difficulty looking for a job.
All universities follow the same guideline which are all approved by the physiotherapy board.

bangladesh

HSC
I have friends who've graduated from UWS physio, and they had no trouble finding a job.
Tell me if you can find anyone who's graduated from LaTrobe, UWS, Newcastle, or any other universities where they offer physiotherapy who's had difficulty looking for a job.
All universities follow the same guideline which are all approved by the physiotherapy board.
I love how you're giving advice based on your sample size n=1. I know plenty of people from those universities who are struggling to get a job and are working in a different profession even though they've graduated as a physio. I even know usyd grads who only have part time jobs so please don't give inaccurate info. Just because they follow the same guidelines doesn't mean all of them have the same chance of employment. We don't live in a world of sunshine and there certainly is bias towards certain unis

podpaul

HSC
I love how you're giving advice based on your sample size n=1. I know plenty of people from those universities who are struggling to get a job and are working in a different profession even though they've graduated as a physio. I even know usyd grads who only have part time jobs so please don't give inaccurate info. Just because they follow the same guidelines doesn't mean all of them have the same chance of employment. We don't live in a world of sunshine and there certainly is bias towards certain unis
I love how you didn't read my comment properly and respond with a smart-arse "sample size of n=1".
I clearly said "friends". So no, the sample size is not just 1, but > 3.
Well I can't tell you about other universities, but all of my friends who are physios are from UWS and they all had some sort of job within the first 3-6 months. So I definitely wouldn't say that's bad.
I don't know exactly how many people you mean when you say "plenty", but sounds like to me they just haven't looked hard enough, or are too picky with the jobs they're after.
Keep in mind, one of my friend had to go far west, out of Sydney to get his full-time job, and now resides there.
Also, you should cut down on your sarcastic and snarky remarks. It just makes you look like a complete tool :)

Jeniistar

HSC
Physios are one of those health professions that can find jobs much easier than others. The demand for them is growing strongly. If you look on seek.com there are at least 200+ jobs everyday. The reason why your friends can't get jobs is most likely due to lack of interpersonal skills/connections/effort.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)