Physiotherapy (1 Viewer)

kbsb

HSC
I'm really interested in this course ..doin it after school. Could any1 doin this course answer the following questions..plaease!
  • Does the course involve a lot of biology
  • What is the male:female ratio
  • Is it similar to a medicine degree
  • Do physio's just give massages cause thats what my mum reckons anywat
  • Is this a good course to do to get into graduate medicine
I know there are a, lot of questions but i just need your help guys
thanks

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
kbsb said:
I'm really interested in this course ..doin it after school. Could any1 doin this course answer the following questions..plaease!
thanks
Surprisingly, no. It is more related to Physics and Chemistry as they are the assumed knowledge for this university course.

I do not really know why you want to know the male and female ratio. If you are worried about whether you can be discriminated because of your gender, don't worry. That's why the 1987 Sex Discrimination Act exists for (not entirely sure about the date).

As far as I know, it does not share much similarities with Medicine as all jobs do. Phyisio does not always do that. They are more involved in giving advices and treatments that involve much more than massaging.

For your last question, I am not entirely sure. But I reckon Medical Science would be the best course.

kbsb

HSC
lyounamu said:
If you are worried about whether you can be discriminated because of your gender, don't worry. That's why the 1987 Sex Discrimination Act exists for (not entirely sure about the date).
haha..lol
naa..just wanted to know cause my dad thinks there will be like way more girls so he doesnt think its a "male" profession..dont ask

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
kbsb said:
haha..lol
naa..just wanted to know cause my dad thinks there will be like way more girls so he doesnt think its a "male" profession..dont ask
Nah. It's pretty equal. All my friends at school who want to do Physiotherapy are male. (but my school is a boy's school)

Anonymous1

HSC
lyounamu said:
Nah. It's pretty equal. All my friends at school who want to do Physiotherapy are male. (but my school is a boy's school)
Nobel Prize winner right here.

In reply to the original poster, I wouldn't say this was a 'good' course to do in pursuit of graduate medicine, however it is a good degree to fall back on if you didn't get in (greater job security as opposed to a generic science degree).

A general science degree would prepare you better for section III of the GAMSAT though.

I've had two knee reco's and have been in and out of physio's for the last few years and have never seen or been given a 'massage' - wherever you got the idea from - forget about it. If it did occur it would be minimal to relax tight muscles.

I'd suggest you try it out for work experience before you rush into anything. It's definately not what you think - it requires keeping notes, taking measurements, constructing rehabilitation exercises/programs, e.t.c.

jessied

HSC
kbsb said:
thanks
Hey, I'm a 3rd Year Physio and..

*Only bio we did was in 1 subject in first year and it was a biochem subject, really easy. The bio component was about 1 or 2 lectures.
*The ratio of Male:Female is about 40:60, slightly more females than males in my year I think, almost equal.
*Some parts are similar to a medicine degree, we focus more on movement and exercise rather than knowing the exact pathology of diseases and prescribing drugs, we're not expected to know as much as them.
*NO, we don't just do massage, they don't teach us how to massage at uni. We do ALOT of exercise prescription and rehab.
*I believe it's a very good course to do if you want to do graduate medicine, you'll have an excellent knowlegde base and heaps of clinical experience/experience with patients (very important thing to have). And also if you don't get in you've got a decent degree (sorry med science) and you can always work as a physio while studying on weekends and earn good money.

Hope that helps, it's an awesome degree if you like interacting with people/want to help people..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)