• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

place in the state for eco (1 Viewer)

laura_a

HSC
Hi guys, I was just wondering how hard/easy is it to place in the state for economics. I'm doing reasonably well in that I'm ranking first in all my internal assessments but is it based on the actual HSC and Trial exams more so? I was just wondering if anyone knew how it worked and what I would need to do to place in the top 10 for the state for eco.

determine

Premium Member
HSC
Hi guys, I was just wondering how hard/easy is it to place in the state for economics. I'm doing reasonably well in that I'm ranking first in all my internal assessments but is it based on the actual HSC and Trial exams more so? I was just wondering if anyone knew how it worked and what I would need to do to place in the top 10 for the state for eco.
Hi Laura, in response to your query, I, as you can probably see from my signature, received a state rank in economics (3rd) in the 2010 hsc, with a mark of 97. It is quite a competitive subject, mainly because it is offered in virtually all selective high schools and top private schools, so there is a lot of competition. You need to have a strong understanding of all the economics concepts in the course and be able to LINK them effectively, as you will often find that the essay questions in particular force you to combine knowledge from a range of topics and rely on you being able to analyse contemporary economic issues. The focus of the short answers is changing too now, as there is an increasing amount of emphasis being placed on contemporary issues too, rather than just regurgitating the course content - you really need to understand the concepts and be ready to manipulate what you know to different questions. Also, don't underestimate the importance of multiple choice, as one multiple choice mark can mean the difference between a state rank and not receiving a state rank, as I know I just missed out on a place in Business Studies because of that!

The state rank is based ONLY on the external exam, but I would say only if you're ranked in the top 2-3 in the subject (depending on how highly ranked your school is overall) would you even have a remote chance of state ranking. Bear in mind that Economics only offers 10 places in the state, so it is even more tight in that respect. Hope that helps!

All the best, and good luck in getting that state rank! :)

d3st1nyLiang

Premium Member
HSC
@determine, I always thought state rank was based on overall hsc mark. then they compare external if there is a tie.
i'm not really sure. I don't think I would have state ranked with my external mark.

khfreakau

HSC
@determine, I always thought state rank was based on overall hsc mark. then they compare external if there is a tie.
i'm not really sure. I don't think I would have state ranked with my external mark.
Yeah mate, if it wasn't for pasindude you'd all be gone LOL.

Also @OP, state ranking eco is difficult, no doubt about it. Work hard and see how you go.

@Aindan i'm not sure how you find eco easy.... expecting 1st in state if that's the case (Y)

The state rank is determined based on the average of your internal and external assessment scores, but keep in mind that the scores they report to you are rounded. State ranks are determined on a basis up to one decimal point, so while you may have gotten 97.4 as an external mark, it would be reported as 97. Same with 96.5. In that sense state ranks can vary a lot and you can't actually know even with the mark that you get in the end.

@determine and liang: liang wouldn't have state ranked if it wasn't for pasindu's crazy mark pulling up his internal mark. However the other guy from our school who state ranked was actually ranked 4th, but he did well in externals and had a good internal thanks to pasindu, so it is also largely based on how good your cohort is if you don't end up first at the end of it.

Last edited:

determine

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah mate, if it wasn't for pasindude you'd all be gone LOL.

Also @OP, state ranking eco is difficult, no doubt about it. Work hard and see how you go.

@Aindan i'm not sure how you find eco easy.... expecting 1st in state if that's the case (Y)

The state rank is determined based on the average of your internal and external assessment scores, but keep in mind that the scores they report to you are rounded. State ranks are determined on a basis up to one decimal point, so while you may have gotten 97.4 as an external mark, it would be reported as 97. Same with 96.5. In that sense state ranks can vary a lot and you can't actually know even with the mark that you get in the end.

@determine and liang: liang wouldn't have state ranked if it wasn't for pasindu's crazy mark pulling up his internal mark. However the other guy from our school who state ranked was actually ranked 4th, but he did well in externals and had a good internal thanks to pasindu, so it is also largely based on how good your cohort is if you don't end up first at the end of it.

@liang - so what was your assessment and exam mark as reported on your hsc results? and what were you ranked internally? was pasindu not ranked 1st internally? i'm confused now lol. :S

@ khfreakau - you're definitely right about the decimal point basis! i applied for my raw marks through BOS, and I actually got a 97.4 for economics, which, as you say, is reported as a 97. :) it was just my short answers that let me down a bit though, hahahahaha, i managed to get a 20 for both essays!!! :)

Last edited:

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Its pretty hard, really you need to get like 100% on every internal exam/assessment and 98%+ on your exteneral one

Invicta

HSC
Its actually pretty hard. You need to make sure you have the theory down pat and then focus on improving your ability to integrate stats and structure the whole thing. Just do alot of qns and write a whole lot of essays (btw reading the economist every day/week is pretty unnecessary just make sure you're up to date - watch sunrise :D) Also 1 silly mistake could mean the difference between a rank and no rank so be careful and read the qns

Dw work hard and you'll get it. Thats how I came 1st :) Best of Luck

d3st1nyLiang

Premium Member
HSC
I got 98 for internal, 96 for external. I was 2nd...
Btw, what was your raw mark for the exam?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)