Plain packaging on cigarettes (1 Viewer)

mirakon

nigga
HSC
I have explained it before.

Basically, I don't want to carry around a packet looking like that, I don't want to be seen buying or holding a packet like that. It creates (or reinforces) a certain negative projection of smokers and a negative stigma. "You can smoke, but we'll make you look like a disgusting motherfucker if you do". Thats what they are saying. I don't want to be a "smoker" in such a society. And I think such a society is wrong.

Smoking is but one issue in this regard. Drugs are another - by making them illegal, we create a society where people who choose to take drugs are looked down upon by the rest of society. They are seen as disgusting, pathetic etc. by the majority of us. We should not be penalising or bullying people who make decisions the government doesn't like.

I have a personal and an ethical issue with it.
I'm pretty sure this image already exists from the graphic images on cigarettes, before plain packaging.

boris

Banned
HSC
I have explained it before.

Basically, I don't want to carry around a packet looking like that, I don't want to be seen buying or holding a packet like that. It creates (or reinforces) a certain negative projection of smokers and a negative stigma. "You can smoke, but we'll make you look like a disgusting motherfucker if you do". Thats what they are saying. I don't want to be a "smoker" in such a society. And I think such a society is wrong.

Smoking is but one issue in this regard. Drugs are another - by making them illegal, we create a society where people who choose to take drugs are looked down upon by the rest of society. They are seen as disgusting, pathetic etc. by the majority of us. We should not be penalising or bullying people who make decisions the government doesn't like.

I have a personal and an ethical issue with it.
is it a negative projection
if it is true?

Annihilist

HSC
is it a negative projection
if it is true?
Does it need to be true?

I don't think it is true.

I'm pretty sure this image already exists from the graphic images on cigarettes, before plain packaging.
I'd go a step further and get rid of the images on cigarettes. The sort of people who smoke are not the sort of people who are going to be reminded of the dangers of smoking and stop. People who already make the conviction not to smoke are not convinced by the images on cigarette packs. They don't work. And the plain packaging doesn't work, really, but it's bullying people into not smoking by trying to make the packs as revolting and unattractive as possible. It worked on me because of my vanity, not because I'm scared of the dangers of smoking.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Does it need to be true?

I don't think it is true.

I'd go a step further and get rid of the images on cigarettes. The sort of people who smoke are not the sort of people who are going to be reminded of the dangers of smoking and stop. People who already make the conviction not to smoke are not convinced by the images on cigarette packs. They don't work. And the plain packaging doesn't work, really, but it's bullying people into not smoking by trying to make the packs as revolting and unattractive as possible. It worked on me because of my vanity, not because I'm scared of the dangers of smoking.
Wait, but surely people will be more revolted by the graphic images than the plain packaging?

And surely, if as you say, people are not convinced by the graphic images to stop smoking, they will not be convinced by merely making the packaging plain?

boris

Banned
HSC
why is it not true?
smoking is regarded as disgusting, even to many habitual smokers. the smell is unpleasant and it tastes like shit and causes premature aging etc

boris

Banned
HSC
you are missing the point of the graphic images
they are health warnings. if they werent required by law to be on packets, im sure most companies would include a warning these days anyway to reduce the threat of potential litigation in the same way most products have warnings about correct usage and hazards

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
If it wasn't for public health measures like this, millions of people would be dead.

Imagine how much smoking there would be if cigarette advertising hadn't been banned back in the 70's.

boris

Banned
HSC
why is it important
to keep people alive

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
why is it important
to keep people alive
generally this is just about keeping poor and stupid people alive

here are a list of the important things poor and stupid people do for you:

1) make your food
2) shine your shoes
3) have sex with you

do you want to live in a world where you cant get those things

Annihilist

HSC
Wait, but surely people will be more revolted by the graphic images than the plain packaging?

And surely, if as you say, people are not convinced by the graphic images to stop smoking, they will not be convinced by merely making the packaging plain?
The whole point is to make the warning labels more prominent. If you look at the proposed packaging designs, all it shows is a massive picture of cancer or rotten teeth or whatever. There's a tiny little brand label at the bottom. So it looks like you've bought a box of cancer, literally. That's all it shows on the packet.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
The whole point is to make the warning labels more prominent. If you look at the proposed packaging designs, all it shows is a massive picture of cancer or rotten teeth or whatever. There's a tiny little brand label at the bottom. So it looks like you've bought a box of cancer, literally. That's all it shows on the packet.
That is a good way of looking at it

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
plain packaging is up there with seatbelts and food labelling as some of the most serious human rights violations of our time

pony_magician

townie for worst user
HSC
idgi

cigarettes aren't allowed to be on display anyway (IIRC)
why would plain packaging make a difference??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)