• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Plan your timetable! (1 Viewer)

sunny

meh.
HSC
You should turn up the first several times at least to see whether you're going to learn from it. I would go to lectures for discrete, but thats just me.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Wow, ouch your timetable can rival my first-year ones.

Welcome to the hardcore Computer Sci/Math based students!

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
MATH1081 has this annoying habit of having blanks in the lecture notes for important things, and you fill those blanks in at the lectures. Theres way too much content to be taught in tutes, so if you're skipping lectures you're effectively missing out on content (which you'll most likely have to figure out yourself). I did discrete last year (second year of uni, so most of the stuff I had learnt already) and turned up to 1 lecture the entire semester, and it was still kind of tough learning things with blank lecture notes. Best bet would be to take sunny's advice.

syper

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
HSC
sunny said:
You should turn up the first several times at least to see whether you're going to learn from it. I would go to lectures for discrete, but thats just me.
Thanks for the advice.. I would really have liked to have Friday's off but oh well :( I'll see if I can go straight to work after that lecture. If not do you guys think I should try to re-arrange my timetable so I have less of a load on Monday's and Thursday's by putting more stuff on Friday?.. It seems like a waste going into uni for just one lecture!
acmilan said:
MATH1081 has this annoying habit of having blanks in the lecture notes for important things, and you fill those blanks in at the lectures. Theres way too much content to be taught in tutes, so if you're skipping lectures you're effectively missing out on content (which you'll most likely have to figure out yourself). I did discrete last year (second year of uni, so most of the stuff I had learnt already) and turned up to 1 lecture the entire semester, and it was still kind of tough learning things with blank lecture notes. Best bet would be to take sunny's advice.
That sucks.. sif leave blanks! So the three 5-6pm lectures won't be enough? :(

Last edited:

sunny

meh.
HSC
Yes...you should deliberately put more stuff into Friday, like some tutes. That way you're less likely to be tempted to just miss the discrete lecture.

I should mention, the later your maths tutes are in the week, the more time you'll get to study for the class tests (if you're that kind of need-more-time-to-study person)

Rekkusu

HSC
Yeah, I just cannot stress the importance of lectures. If you miss out 1, you'll be tempted to miss out more and more.

Put Labs or Tuts on that day, because most of the time tests will take place in your Tutorial or Laboratory periods. With more time in your hands, you get more study. :)

implicity

HSC
Rekkusu said:
Yeah, I just cannot stress the importance of lectures. If you miss out 1, you'll be tempted to miss out more and more.
So true. I did this for discrete last year (semester 1).. I went to maybe about 3 weeks worth of lectures, and ended up missing out on all the additional examples and all, which kinda screwed me over in class tests. That and I couldn't really be bothered with the tests anyway lol. It's okay to do if maths is a strong point of yours.. In the end though I got 74 which was pretty lucky I reckon lol.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
This is pretty much what i'm thinking right now. I'm still not properly enrolled due to some issues so i'm not entirely sure what the final timetable will be...at the moment though looks like im only turning up two days a week

Rekkusu

HSC
Wow...3 hours worth of lects +tuts, and that's maths + Comp as well. :eek:

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
My timetable has 18hrs-week1, 23hrs-week2, then 24hrs-week3 and onwards i think- lol at least I have Friday off

Last edited:

syper

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
HSC
After getting an idea off chucknthem (thanks man) I've decided to go with Pattern B and do two electives in S1 so I get Friday's off :D

This way I get to put off Discrete Mathematics untill S2.. Is Physics 1A generally easier at all?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
Rekkusu said:

Put Labs or Tuts on that day, because most of the time tests will take place in your Tutorial or Laboratory periods. With more time in your hands, you get more study. :)
haha just like BIOS1101 and MATH 1041 aye

gman03

HSC
Not JPEG timetables...... god, gonna help me get thru this :S

Rekkusu

HSC
Aye Sir - *looks at Azndude*

Haha MATH1041 lab tests are funny, for some reason people tend to sit near me and coincidentally, they're also MATH1041 1st year students.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)