Plan your timetable! (1 Viewer)

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Well I have MATH2111 and MATH2901. I have no idea wtf else I'm gonna do.

gman03

HSC
Dumsum said:
Well I have MATH2111 and MATH2901. I have no idea wtf else I'm gonna do.
Things outside uni?

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
wow wtf :|

They don't offer elec3004/elec3006 anymore. Now i have to do 3104/3106 i assume? But why aren't they offering 3106 in s1? :|

Capitalist

HSC
Much appreciated!

Why are law classes so screwed this semester. I liked the Monday/Thursday same time, same room, system. Now it just makes things complicated.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
I think there's been a whole rejig of timetables so things are a bit different to this/last year.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Hmm I wonder what the chances are of mathsstats waiving the prerequisite for MATH3570 Foundations of Calculus...

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Does higher analysis have any relation to 2111? I'm probably gonna choose that and algebraic techniques in number theory for semester 1

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Iruka said:
They probably would let you do it, but you should consider the fact that MATH 3570 has an exclusion with Higher Analysis. If you're planning to do honors in pure, then you are supposed to do Higher Analysis - you could try your luck with talking your way into that instead.
Ah bugger, how'd I miss that? Oh well. Probably do a GenEd.

Edit: although, would I be disadvantged in doing Higher Analysis with not having done Higher Several Variable? I'd be doing them both at the same time.

Last edited:

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Dumsum said:
Ah bugger, how'd I miss that? Oh well. Probably do a GenEd.

Edit: although, would I be disadvantged in doing Higher Analysis with not having done Higher Several Variable? I'd be doing them both at the same time.
Note that Analysis has a lot of epsilon-delta type proofs. Also, Higher Differential Geometry has a lot of vector calculus and tensor stuff which I personally don't like.

I think MATH2111 and MATH3611 would complement each other quite nicely as Several Variable Calculus only covers a little on open sets, compactness, convergence, etc. Good knowledge of set theory from Discrete helps with Analysis.

Other subjects that don't require much background include:

MATH5505 Computational Combinatorics
MATH5785 Geometry

(see http://www.timetable.unsw.edu.au/current/MATHKENS.html for further details)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Whats the deal with postgrad, do they count towards the 30uoc you need to do for maths honours?

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Yeah timetables aren't going to be as good as 2006 ones...It's getting all centralised from what I heard.

Still though, these timetables could still be provisional, best to wait till 11th December - 18th December in order to enrol at MyUNSW.

Affinity

HSC
Dumsum said:
although, would I be disadvantged in doing Higher Analysis with not having done Higher Several Variable? I'd be doing them both at the same time.
Should be fine, did that last year.

Affinity

HSC
Iruka said:
I'm planning to do it next year, too, and possibly MATH 3521, but only if I wimp out of doing MATH 3711.
Won't happen

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
awe this sucks, im going to be five days a week. the life of a commerce student...

gman03

HSC
Intersting.... enrol in one semester at a time eh? So that means when we get our student card we will not have concession stickers for the entire year anymore? I hate to carry a separate concession card around...

sunny

meh.
HSC
I don't like the new by-session enrolment process. You just won't know whats available in session 2 and plan out your load properly.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Affinity said:
Should be fine, did that last year.
Had a chat to Ian Doust, he recommended I don't do higher analysis concurrently with higher sev. var., based on my first year performance, not saying that I'd fail but could probably only manage a DN, as opposed to if I did it in 3rd year could probably manage a HD easily enough. Fair enough I guess :p

So I have:

MATH2111 Higher Several Variable Calc (6uoc)
MATH2901 Higher Theory of Statistics (6uoc)
MATH2240 Introduction to Oceanography and Meteorology (3uoc)
PHIL2001 Logic (6uoc)

Need another elective because I don't -really- want to do a GenEd yet. Another PHIL most likely. Maybe 2002 (ways of reasoning) or 2316 (philosophy of religion). Anyone had much experience with Level 2 philosophy subjects?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)