Planned responses (1 Viewer)

LonelyWolf

HSC
Is it correct to create planned responses for each essay question in the HSC?

I did it for trials and it worked quite well as it is easy to predict the questions to a varying degree.However my teachers, especially my modern and ancient teachers warned against it. I'm only worried about doing planning an essay plan and the question is skewed in such a way that it is not possible for me to adapt my plan.

Your thoughts?

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm going to create planned responses for English. I might not do it for legal studies on the other hand.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Is it correct to create planned responses for each essay question in the HSC?

I did it for trials and it worked quite well as it is easy to predict the questions to a varying degree.However my teachers, especially my modern and ancient teachers warned against it. I'm only worried about doing planning an essay plan and the question is skewed in such a way that it is not possible for me to adapt my plan.

Your thoughts?
As an HSC Modern History marker I always advise against planned essays because they are so easy to spot and they do get penalised as they usually don't actually address the question asked.

What I advise is to plan the content and historiography that you would use for each broad issue and/or dot point.

Very very talented students can get away with it but usually students with learned responses simply add a sentence or two at the beginning and end to address the question and thus get limited to lowish marks.

LonelyWolf

HSC
As an HSC Modern History marker I always advise against planned essays because they are so easy to spot and they do get penalised as they usually don't actually address the question asked.

What I advise is to plan the content and historiography that you would use for each broad issue and/or dot point.

Very very talented students can get away with it but usually students with learned responses simply add a sentence or two at the beginning and end to address the question and thus get limited to lowish marks.
Thanks for the help! Just one last question though:

Germany 1918 - 1939 Syllabus:

1 Weimar Republic
– emergence of the Democratic Republic and the impact of the Treaty of Versailles
– political, economic and social issues in the Weimar Republic to 1929
– collapse of the Weimar Republic 1929–1933
– impact of the Great Depression on Germany

For my trial exams I created plans (based on past questions) for the first option of the Germany essay question. I did a plan for each of the headings below 1 Weimar Republic.

Is that still alright to do?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Thanks for the help! Just one last question though:

Germany 1918 - 1939 Syllabus:

1 Weimar Republic
– emergence of the Democratic Republic and the impact of the Treaty of Versailles
– political, economic and social issues in the Weimar Republic to 1929
– collapse of the Weimar Republic 1929–1933
– impact of the Great Depression on Germany

For my trial exams I created plans (based on past questions) for the first option of the Germany essay question. I did a plan for each of the headings below 1 Weimar Republic.

Is that still alright to do?
That is exactly what I tell my students to do and include a couple of historians so that as you read through it you also have that information being learnt. Knowing what you would discuss in a question in general terms is not the same as memorising a response with the idea that you will regurgitate that response come what may.

enoilgam

HSC
Bringing planned responses into an exam is only really a good idea for english and SOR. For modern and legal, the questions are way too specific and its near impossible to mold your response to a question (unless they are similar which is unlikely). Like cem says, just have a good idea of what you want to say for each dot point. But dont used a memorised response.

HSC
Uni Grad
Bringing planned responses into an exam is only really a good idea for english and SOR. For modern and legal, the questions are way too specific and its near impossible to mold your response to a question (unless they are similar which is unlikely). Like cem says, just have a good idea of what you want to say for each dot point. But dont used a memorised response.
The stuff just to remember are your issues, the legislation and your arguments related to that. The themes and challenges sections of the legal syllabus will be the basis of which the examiners will make the questions. The questions are very similar each year so it should be fine if you have enough practice (ie. writing 2-3 essays for each topic).

LonelyWolf

HSC
Just another question

Past Cold War questions:
2010:
To what extent did the creation of the Berlin Wall in 1961 affect the
development of the Cold War?
OR
Evaluate the successes and failures of the policy of Detente by the end of
the 1970s.

2009:

To what extent were emerging differences between the superpowers responsible for the origins of the Cold War to 1949?
OR
Assess the role of the arms race in maintaining Cold War tensions after 1949.

2008:

To what extent did the ideologies of communism and capitalism influence the Cold War in the period 1945–1991?
OR
Assess the consequences of détente for the Cold War.

2007:

Assess the significance of the Truman Doctrine for the origins and development of the Cold War.
OR
To what extent were Soviet attitudes and policies under Gorbachev responsible for ending the Cold War?

---

the 2007 and 2008 (a) questions are very broad, however the 09 and 10 ones are not. Will this years questions be more narrow like the past two years? or will it variate?

Starfriend

emancipation
HSC
different things work for different ppl. some people i know, they memorise, others i know don't

they do more or less equally well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)