• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Please Enlighten Me - Ext 2 English, things we need to know (1 Viewer)

Jeee

Banned
HSC
Alright, tbh, I am kind of excited for the major work. I just wanted to know all the bits and pieces in regards to Ext 2 English.

- So, how does it all work? The research process + writing, and the entire course holistically?
- What do you use as a log book? An arts diary, exercise book etc? What's better?
- Does your logbook have to be aesthetically attractive (the layout of content etc) and creative? (I'm assuming it's the same as drama in that sense).
- How often and when should one be writing and adding to their major work and log book? What worked best for you?
- What's better you think, a compilation of short stories or one long story?
- If I do short stories, in what way are they supposed to be interrelated?
- And finally, what is the word limit?

Sorry for the mass of questions, just needed to really clarify.
Thanks to those that answer.

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
Alright, tbh, I am kind of excited for the major work. I just wanted to know all the bits and pieces in regards to Ext 2 English.

- So, how does it all work? The research process + writing, and the entire course holistically?
- What do you use as a log book? An arts diary, exercise book etc? What's better?
- Does your logbook have to be aesthetically attractive (the layout of content etc) and creative? (I'm assuming it's the same as drama in that sense).
- How often and when should one be writing and adding to their major work and log book? What worked best for you?

Lots of questions lol. I began with roughly 12 weeks of researching alone. I did most of this during the Christmas holidays (you should do this too) because you won't ever get this amount of spare time again. After all the research was done most of the year was spent doing additional research when i had time, twinking certain facts that could have been inaccurate invalid etc. Then started the actual composition.

I found that my first draft was really never altered at it's core by that much even though i did several other drafts after it. Once you've done that much research your view will be pretty much cemented by the time you're ready to start your first draft.

I used a hardcover diary for my logbook, but others in my class just used a notebook. Tbh it doesn't really matter how it looks, though you only have one so you might as well buy a decent one. The logbook is merely for your personal recording of where you're at throughout the year and acts as a gauge for your teachers internal assessment.

I added to my logbook once a week (though this was considerably more during the early research period and considerably less after my 4th draft). 1-2 a week should be enough.

I did a critical response. But if i was to do a short story i'd do a compilation as not as many students would be attempting this. Not overly important though.

I'm not entirely sure on this one.

The word limit for short stories is 6000-8000 not including your Reflection Statement.

Hope i helped.

Last edited:

astroe

HSC

Well, you either have it as a class or in individual sessions with your mentoring teacher and you talk to them about what you want to do, and they'll guide in in terms of suggested reading material, what to do about, and answer any general questions you have.

I used an A4 Visual Arts diary, it was helpful for sticking in various articles/pictures that I found worth of interest, as well as the general writing of logs. The other students did too, as did the year before - we had a chance to go through their works when it got sent back from the Board of Studies earlier this year. One student also used a larger Visual Arts diary, that could work also but the idea of carrying around something that big puts me off.

Not necessarily, most of our logbooks were pretty much plain writing with a picture/article/whatever pasted in every now and then. I do remember one guy who made his log look like some kind of artwork, it looked like a crazy catalogue - every page was colourful, he'd used coloured cardboard and pasted abstract shapes and metallic cardboard for the headings, it was a bit much to be honest.

You log when you feel like you have something important to put down, but if you're finding that you haven't written in weeks, well that's a problem. I'd suggest forcing yourself to write at least once a week if you're not such a frequent writer.

Whatever, its up to you. Although I think a long story would be better - just personal taste.

Well, not necessarily. You can make them completely different to one another, although I wouldn't know why you would.

That's where the personal reflection comes in I suppose. Everything is up to you but try to have some kind of logical coherent train of thought with your work that others will be able to understand.

For simplicity's sake, yes, they should be related.
I mean, it depends. If you were to do two short stories around a single event but from different perspectives, then that would be okay.

The Short Story word limit is between 6,000 and 8,000 words.
If you were going to do 2 stories, they would have to average between 3,000 to 4,000, and if you were going to do 3, they would have to average between 2,000 and 2,600 words. I really doubt you can make a very good work with such a low word limit. I wouldn't push past 2 stories.

It depends on the medium you are doing and they are as follows:

• Story Story(ies) - 6,000 to 8,000
  • Poem(s) - 3,000 to 4,500
  • Critical Responses - 5,000 to 6,000

The other mediums are more time limit based.

Good luck with it.

Oh, remember to find some kind of link to the Advanced/Extension course - your work has to have been influenced from something you've learnt. I did Crime Fiction for Ext 1, so I could have made a Crime Writing piece and linked it back to the Extension 1 course, for example.

roar84eighty

HSC
N/A
all you need is a solid idea before the christmas holidays and you're set.

what are your ideas/thoughts?

nightshade749

HSC
Yeah, as everyone else says, just research.
Finding the idea is the hardest part. So read widely, brainstorm, etc.
Once you've got the topic, research and write. Finding a balance is essential. And as for the log book, just shove everything in there! Research and drafts :D

I miss Ext 2. It was the best subject ever! There was only 3 of us so we had the lessons in the teacher's tea room. Haha free coffee every lesson! XD

TAC

HSC

1. The research process is meant to be ongoing; essentially, you continue with it until you've finalised your MW and RS. As for writing, it really depends on the person; people obviously work in different ways. I'd suggest you start writing your first draft as soon as possible. With regards to the course itself, you are required to conduct independent research and keep a journal which logs the progress of your research, the development of your MW and RS, and any relevant thoughts/ideas.

2. Anything which is A4 size should be adequate. Initially, I had an A3 Visual Arts diary, but my teacher said there could be problems when mailing it to the BOS for marking, so I changed to an A4 spiral-bound notebook. I typed up all of my journal entries and then stuck them into my notebook, whereas a friend of mine filled his one with all sorts of relevant drawings, etc. Basically, whatever suits you best.

3. Your logbook does not have to be aesthetically attractive. However, your writing should be legible.

4. For your logbook, try and do 1/2 entries per week. My entries were all 700+ words typed each, so I tried to do one every fortnight or so. As for your MW, you should add to it as much as possible; the reason for this is to get you into the rhythm of writing consistently. I basically wrote whenever I had any new ideas, so use that as guideline if you want.

5. Whatever you think will serve your idea best. My MW was a hybrid of both; two short stories within one long story.

6. If you do short stories, then there should be a thematic link which ties them together.

7. The word limit is 6000-8000 words for all written creative compositions.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Start writing stuff in your logbook NOW.

Truly, I did most of the research/conceptualising in the first term of year 12 before the Christmas holidays, and it saved me SO much time/effort. Later on in the year all my friends were freaking and I'd already done the majority of my major- it also becomes really helpful for assessments.

I stress to you - write about something you ENJOY researching or discussing. You'll become so much more motivated to write and put the effort in if you're invested in what you're doing.

My two cents.

accio.brain

HSC
Try and do as much research and experimenting/sorting out of your ideas as you can now, it will really help you later and allows you some time to change your ideas (which i did countless times, even a few months before it was due). Read other Major Works, it helps in getting an idea of the standard that people set. USE THE CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS. You probably haven't been hit with as much work from your other subjects yet so do what you can before you get crammed. Especially if your idea needs a lot of research, which mine did... And ditto what the others said, make sure it's something that you will stay motivated to write about. Don't write about something just because it's smart/complex/challenging or will get you good marks; you need a good idea (nothing completely cliched or you'll be shot) but honestly, when it gets to mid-next year you won't really be wanting something challenging, you just want to enjoy it and love what you create :)

Journal: they don't mark it so it doesn't have to be aesthetically beautiful or anything. It's up to you what you use. I used A4 art journals for my 'reflections' and arch-lever folders to put all my drafts and research in. If you do online research or anything, bookmark/print it to put in your journal; not only will it really help you later to refer to, but it makes your journals look big and impressing and you feel like you've accomplished something when it seems like all hope is lost :) Start writing in your logbook now, all your ideas, frustrations, thoughts, research - you're bound to slack off later, and it honestly helps in sorting out your ideas, even if it's just like you talking to yourself. Which most of mine was.

Haha sorry for the long post. But finally - take note of others' suggestions and everything, but don't get too carried away trying to please your teacher and everyone else. It's your creation; have fun, take criticism, be confident and love it :)

Jeee

Banned
HSC
Thank you SO much guys.
repreprep for you and you and you.

I just have a question...
Wh is doing short stories for the MW good - other than being the 'easier' option?

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Thank you SO much guys.
repreprep for you and you and you.

I just have a question...
Wh is doing short stories for the MW good - other than being the 'easier' option?
Err, the only benefit I see in doing a short story is exactly what you said- it is the easier option. I actually think that doing a different medium other than short story will probably help you in the long run, as you'll stand out more. The competition for short stories is very elite, you only have to read some of the showcase works to understand that.

I personally think the short story medium is way overused for Ext 2, and you really have to be fresh and thoughtful to grab the attention of a marker. To quote the 2008 Notes from the Marking Centre

'Approximately 2300 works were submitted. As in previous years more than half the works submitted were short stories'

That means that your short story is going to be sitting with approximately 1150 other shorts. If you think yours can successfully stand out, then great, go for it. Not so confident in your short story skills? Why not explore other mediums?

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
'Approximately 2300 works were submitted. As in previous years more than half the works submitted were short stories'

That means that your short story is going to be sitting with approximately 1150 other shorts. If you think yours can successfully stand out, then great, go for it. Not so confident in your short story skills? Why not explore other mediums?
This is exactly why I'm not doing short stories.

Too much room for error.

But go for it if you'll enjoy it and be good at it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)