PLEASE FILL OUT MY PIP SURVEY!!! i need more people (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mummie

HSC
Hey, for my pip society and culture im doing manners in society and the importance people place on them. im looking at how they differ from different generations and different cultures or racial/ ethnic groups.
please fill out my surveys thanxs.

1.age
2. sex
3. heritage:
4. do you think you have been taught good manners?

5. From whom or where did you get taught them?

6. Do you think having good manners is an important aspect in your day to day life?

7. Do you speak to your parents the same as you would your friends?

8. Do you treat people who you have daily interactions with manners and courtesy/? Eg shop assistants, bus drivers etc.

9.Do you treat people with higher authority and power with more manners and courtesy? Eg teachers, police officers, doctors etc

10. If so why?

11. Are table manners enforced within your home?

12. Is general politeness enforced eg thankyous and pleases?

13. Do you have a responsibility to help around the house and do your parents put that emphasis on your upbringing?

14. If for example you were on a bus and there was an elderly person or pregnant lady standing would you give up your seat for them?

15. Do you think in that situation the elderly person or pregnant lady would expect you too?

16. do you think manners are increasing or decreasing in todays society?

THANKYOU!!:)

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
1.age - 20
2. sex - F
3. heritage: - Sri Lankan but born in Australia
4. do you think you have been taught good manners? yep

5. From whom or where did you get taught them? parents and culture and possibly influenced by buddhism

6. Do you think having good manners is an important aspect in your day to day life? yes

7. Do you speak to your parents the same as you would your friends? no, i'm less weird and random around my parents

8. Do you treat people who you have daily interactions with manners and courtesy/? Eg shop assistants, bus drivers etc.
yeah. except on busy days where there's like a line of 50 people. then i can understand they don't have time to make small talk.

9.Do you treat people with higher authority and power with more manners and courtesy? Eg teachers, police officers, doctors etc
yes

10. If so why?
they're socially and professionally higher than me. therefore deserve higher respect

we sit in the lounge and eat :p

yes

13. Do you have a responsibility to help around the house and do your parents put that emphasis on your upbringing?
yes

14. If for example you were on a bus and there was an elderly person or pregnant lady standing would you give up your seat for them?
yes

15. Do you think in that situation the elderly person or pregnant lady would expect you too?
yes

decreasing for sure.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
1.age: 17
2. sex: Male
3. heritage: South Korean
Yes
My parents & relatives & grandparents
6. Do you think having good manners is an important aspect in your day to day life?
Yes.

No.

Yes.

Yes.

10. If so why?
Everyone needs to be treated accordingly. I treat certain people with respect as they deserve it. If I don't get the respect I deserve from others, I would not treat them with one.

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes
Decreasing

Cerry

HSC
1. Age: 18

2. Sex: Female

3. Heritage:Australian

4. Do you think you have been taught good manners? Relitively...but that doesn't mean I actually use them all the time.

5. From whom or where did you get taught them? Parents, mostly. And bits and pieces at school, and to some degree, Sesame Street (I swear, that show taught me everything I need to know in life)

6. Do you think having good manners is an important aspect in your day to day life? Yes. People are much more likely to be nice to you/help you out etc if you're nice to them

7. Do you speak to your parents the same as you would your friends? No. I swear a lot less, for one thing. I also tend not to make fun of my parents as much. But that being said, lots of people are disgusted at the way my parents and I interact. We make fun of each other, and if my parents are annoying me, I'll tell them. Lots of people I know wouldn't ever dream of doing either of those things. I also use please and thanks a lot less at home than I do in public.

8. Do you treat people who you have daily interactions with manners and courtesy? Eg shop assistants, bus drivers etc. Yes. If they ask how I am, I respond, and ask them how they are. I say please and thank you. And I tend to address my teachers with their names, rather than "hey, you" or the equivilant

9.Do you treat people with higher authority and power with more manners and courtesy? Eg teachers, police officers, doctors etc Not so much my doctor, since she's the mother of one of my friends, so I call her by her first name, rather than her title. But definitely teachers - I call them Mr and Mrs/Miss/Ms, which I wouldn't normally do with most adults (my parents are very relaxed about that, so I never really picked it up). And as I said before, I use their names, rather than just a general shout

10. If so why? They've got power to make my life difficult if I don't, basically

11. Are table manners enforced within your home? Sort of. Things like not chewing/talking with your mouth open, yes. No elbows on the table, no. And as soon as you get out of your seat, everyone is totally within their rights to put their feet on it until such time as you come back

12. Is general politeness enforced eg thankyous and pleases? Yes, but not as much as it would be in some situations. If I ask for something without saying please, I probably won't get it. If mum or dad asks if I want a hot drink, and I just respond with "yeah, coffee", that's fine.

13. Do you have a responsibility to help around the house and do your parents put that emphasis on your upbringing? Kind of. We have to help with the dishes, and if mum or dad asks us to do the washing or whatever, we do it. But dad is usually home during the day, and takes the opportunity to do cleaning etc while there's no one around

14. If for example you were on a bus and there was an elderly person or pregnant lady standing would you give up your seat for them?' Probably, but it sort of depends. Pregnant woman who's showing, almost definitely. Anyone else, if I've got an armload of heavy books or something, and they've got nothing, and look like they're just fine as it is, probably not

15. Do you think in that situation the elderly person or pregnant lady would expect you too? Some of them would. But then you have elderly people who don't want to be thought of as elderly and all that jazz

16. Do you think manners are increasing or decreasing in todays society? Decreasing. I've had so many little kids address me in a way I never would have dreamed of doing when I was their age. But having spent time in Germany, where they think you're really polite if you say "Please pass the butter" rather than "pass the butter", I gotta say, Australia's not doing too bad at all.

michael1990

HSC
1.age 17
2. sex male
3. heritage: Born in Australia, but mum is English and dad is italian
4. do you think you have been taught good manners? Yes.

5. From whom or where did you get taught them? I got taught them when i was a child, by my mother and father.

6. Do you think having good manners is an important aspect in your day to day life? Of course.

7. Do you speak to your parents the same as you would your friends? No, which i believe i really should. But i suppose going to a public school makes it a little different.

8. Do you treat people who you have daily interactions with manners and courtesy/? Eg shop assistants, bus drivers etc. Yes. Always please, thank you and have a nice day.

More manners? No everyone should be treated equal.

10. If so why?

Yes they are. No elbows on table and so forth.

12. Is general politeness enforced eg thankyous and pleases? Yes.

13. Do you have a responsibility to help around the house and do your parents put that emphasis on your upbringing? Yes, i do daily jobs and weekly jobs.

14. If for example you were on a bus and there was an elderly person or pregnant lady standing would you give up your seat for them? Yes.

15. Do you think in that situation the elderly person or pregnant lady would expect you too? Yes. If not, they should.

16. do you think manners are increasing or decreasing in todays society? They are decreasing. I believe parents do not place enough emphasis on them in households.

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
1.age 18
2. sex F
3. heritage: Scottish/English/Australian
Yes
Parents, grandparents
Yes

No

Yes

No

10. If so why?
I would tend to treat them all the same. I always say please and thankyou to the busdriver, shop assistant etc and treat them with courtesy. It's much the same with other people.

They are, but not when nobody's looking...

Not particularly... it just comes naturally.

Yes. I have had chores/ expectations to help out since around 7 years old: before this I was always encouraged to learn skills such as how to wash a car, cook etc.

Yes. I have in the past.

I think it is expected, even if the person doesn't say anything. It's less likely that anyone will get up if there are a number of people who could just as easily give up their seats though. Weird, that.

I think there's a bit of movement in both directions. People are more tolerant of others (or at least pretend to be) but there does tend to be a lot more people who are in too much of a hurry or too absorbed in their own worlds to show basic courtesey (ie. assuming someone knows you appreciate them, rather than bothering to vocalise this)

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
P.S. add into your discussion that your research may be flawed due to people answering in a way that will make them appear to be more socially acceptable (or in this case well mannered) especially seeing as this is on a public forum. Good discussion point :)

D

dillay

2. sex: Female

3. heritage: Lebanese/ Australian

yes

My mother mainly.

Yes

Depends on the topic and/or situation

Yes

no.

10. If so why?
I already emit the best i can to everyone and anyone.

Erms, no not really. But i know them

No, because I choose to show politeness and say "please" and "thank you" when needed. Therefore there is no reason to enforce me to say/do anything

Yes and yes. Especially because i have 4 sisters living under the same roof, so its a must

Yes

Don’t know but id present the offer anyways

Decreasing dramatically

Last edited by a moderator:

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
1.age 17
2. sex female
3. heritage: aussie
yes

parents/older siblings

its an aspect of my life but i wouldnt say an "important" one

generally yes

yes

yes

10. If so why?
higher station than me

i hate eating with my family because they eat disgustingly. i try to enforce table manners on my parents but they r slobs so i end up turning the tv up high to block out their noisy eating.

generally yes

yes

yes

they might hope i will

decreasing

michael1990

HSC
DownInFlames said:
P.S. add into your discussion that your research may be flawed due to people answering in a way that will make them appear to be more socially acceptable (or in this case well mannered) especially seeing as this is on a public forum. Good discussion point :)
So agree with this.

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
1.age

2. sex
Female

3. heritage:
Anglo-Australian

Yes

Parents

Absolutely

Yes, with respect

Yes - treat others as you want to be treated

Yes

10. If so why?
They deserve my respect, they have earnt it.

Yes - Practice it always and you never make a mistake when it matters

Yes - life without politeness is yuck

Yes - the family is a team that works together

Yes - without a second's thought

Yes - and so they should

Definitely decreasing because in Australia particularly parents do not teach their children and expect others to do it. The "respect others" culture has gone and it is all "me me me" and that means no one else deserves any respectful manners. Also, when my children are polite to strangers and in public people are amazed at how polite they are, as if they never hear it otherwise.

THANKYOU!!:)

NO PROBLEMS! My PLEASURE! :D

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
1.age 18

2. sex female

3. heritage: Australian/German

4. do you think you have been taught good manners? in some areas, in others, not so much

5. From whom or where did you get taught them? parents, friends

6. Do you think having good manners is an important aspect in your day to day life? sometimes, but in general, not really

7. Do you speak to your parents the same as you would your friends? yes

8. Do you treat people who you have daily interactions with manners and courtesy/? Eg shop assistants, bus drivers etc. generally, if they treat you in the same way.

9.Do you treat people with higher authority and power with more manners and courtesy? Eg teachers, police officers, doctors etc yes, but more so if they treat you the same way

10. If so why? ussually people with higher authority provide a service, and your treating them with courtesy allows them to do their job better, in turn receiving their service better

11. Are table manners enforced within your home? no

12. Is general politeness enforced eg thankyous and pleases? sometimes

13. Do you have a responsibility to help around the house and do your parents put that emphasis on your upbringing? yes, no

14. If for example you were on a bus and there was an elderly person or pregnant lady standing would you give up your seat for them? yes

15. Do you think in that situation the elderly person or pregnant lady would expect you too? yes

16. do you think manners are increasing or decreasing in todays society? decreasing

selablad

HSC
Hey, for my pip society and culture im doing manners in society and the importance people place on them. im looking at how they differ from different generations and different cultures or racial/ ethnic groups.
please fill out my surveys thanxs.

1.age 15
2. sex F
3. heritage: ??
Yes, definitely

My parents

Yes, it is the little things like not pushing into lines, letting people through, saying good morning to people, etc

Pretty much, yes - I have a pretty casual relationship with both my parents and friends

Yes

Definitely

10. If so why?
They deserve my respect, because they have worked hard to get to where they are. I am only 15, but I hope that when I am older, people will treat me with the same courtesy.

Yes

Yes

I'm not sure that I understand the question :confused: Yes, I am expected to help around the house

Yes, that is one of the most basic "courtesy" rules. I would feel terribly guilty if I were sitting while they had to stand

I think that it is generally expected that people should do that, but that they don't, if you know what I mean?

Decreasing, I think. There are some people who are just rude (ie no manners at all) but then there are others who are still nice/polite but do not have the same "old-fashioned" manners that people think of when you say "manners"

THANKYOU!!:) That's okay :)

~Natalie:)~

HSC
1.age 17
2. sex female
3. heritage: Australian
4. do you think you have been taught good manners? yep

5. From whom or where did you get taught them?parents/family mainly

God yes

7. Do you speak to your parents the same as you would your friends?nope, i muck around with friends much more than parents but still give them both great respect

8. Do you treat people who you have daily interactions with manners and courtesy/? Eg shop assistants, bus drivers etc. yep

9.Do you treat people with higher authority and power with more manners and courtesy? Eg teachers, police officers, doctors etc nope everyone deserves the same level of courtesy and I treat everyone with a high level of respect

10. If so why?

11. Are table manners enforced within your home? nope we usually eat seperate

12. Is general politeness enforced eg thankyous and pleases? yep

13. Do you have a responsibility to help around the house and do your parents put that emphasis on your upbringing? yep

14. If for example you were on a bus and there was an elderly person or pregnant lady standing would you give up your seat for them?without doubt yep, i hope when i fall pregnant in the future people would do it for me

15. Do you think in that situation the elderly person or pregnant lady would expect you too? they would probably have a certain level of expectation but they probably know not to expect it from everyone today

16. do you think manners are increasing or decreasing in todays society? decreasing

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
2. sex: M
3. heritage: Hong Kong (born in australia...in other words, i'm an ABC)
4. do you think you have been taught good manners? definitely

5. From whom or where did you get taught them? My parents

6. Do you think having good manners is an important aspect in your day to day life? Of course

7. Do you speak to your parents the same as you would your friends? No, I speak to my friends (closer ones) like I'm teasing them constantly. That's what we do.

8. Do you treat people who you have daily interactions with manners and courtesy/? I don't interact with many people besides friend/family. I'm not super polite to my friends though. You don't need to =O Otherwise they'll think you're weird.

9.Do you treat people with higher authority and power with more manners and courtesy? To teachers, obviously =O

10. If so why? So that I don't get detention/bad report

11. Are table manners enforced within your home? No

12. Is general politeness enforced eg thankyous and pleases? Yes, to an extent

13. Do you have a responsibility to help around the house and do your parents put that emphasis on your upbringing? Yes

14. If for example you were on a bus and there was an elderly person or pregnant lady standing would you give up your seat for them? Of course!

15. Do you think in that situation the elderly person or pregnant lady would expect you too? Depends...Individualism =O But mostly, I might say so.

16. do you think manners are increasing or decreasing in todays society? Decreasing.

beebee1991

HSC
2. sex: female
3. heritage: greek
4. do you think you have been taught good manners? id like to think so

5. From whom or where did you get taught them? from my parents

6. Do you think having good manners is an important aspect in your day to day life? yes

7. Do you speak to your parents the same as you would your friends? defiantly not

yes

not really i tend to treat everyone with the same respect, irrespective of their level of authority

10. If so why?

11. Are table manners enforced within your home? no

12. Is general politeness enforced eg thankyous and pleases? depending on the situation really

13. Do you have a responsibility to help around the house and do your parents put that emphasis on your upbringing? no not really

14. If for example you were on a bus and there was an elderly person or pregnant lady standing would you give up your seat for them? yes i would

15. Do you think in that situation the elderly person or pregnant lady would expect you too? i think it would depend of the nature of the person. because some refuse the seat when you offer it to them and some take it like they deserve it.

16. do you think manners are increasing or decreasing in todays society? i believe manners are decreasing in todays society

narrabeennerd

HSC
1.age

2. sex

Female

3. heritage:

Australian

Yes

Parents

Yes

7. Do you speak to your parents the same as you would your friends? No

Yes

Yes

10. If so why?

If your polite you get what you want.

Yes but i have horrible table manners..

Yes

Yes very much so

Of course

15. Do you think in that situation the elderly person or pregnant lady would expect you too? Secretly

yes.

DECREASING!

white ferret

HSC
1.age

2. sex
F

3. heritage:
Chinese

yup

mum and primary teachers

i would say it is nice to have good manners, but it isnt that important if its in a casual context (ie. day to day life)

not really

yup, unless theyre incompetant, then i sometimes let them know, but does that count as bad manners then?

nope

10. If so why?
-

not particularly, unless someone does something very rude, then it gets pointed out

its not enforced, but we say it anyway out of habit

i use to, but less so this year because of 'the stress of HSC year'. so i guess it was emphasised in my upbringing?

yup *cityrail's monotone announcements regarding school children plays in head*

15. Do you think in that situation the elderly person or pregnant lady would expect you to?
sometimes, although once, this really nice lady wanted me to sit down when i offered her the seat!

decreasing

couldnt help but notice the majority of pplz who replied are females aged 17/18. =P.

Becanol

HSC
1.age 17
2. sex Female
3. heritage: Australian
4. do you think you have been taught good manners? Yes

5. From whom or where did you get taught them? My parents and grandparents

6. Do you think having good manners is an important aspect in your day to day life? Yes

7. Do you speak to your parents the same as you would your friends? No

8. Do you treat people who you have daily interactions with manners and courtesy/? Eg shop assistants, bus drivers etc. Most of the time

9.Do you treat people with higher authority and power with more manners and courtesy? Eg teachers, police officers, doctors etc Yes

10. If so why? No idea

11. Are table manners enforced within your home? Only when I was younger

12. Is general politeness enforced eg thankyous and pleases? Again not any more but when I was younger they were

13. Do you have a responsibility to help around the house and do your parents put that emphasis on your upbringing? I get responsibilities and I'm pretty sure my parents consider the effect most things would have on my upbringing

14. If for example you were on a bus and there was an elderly person or pregnant lady standing would you give up your seat for them? If noone else did yes

15. Do you think in that situation the elderly person or pregnant lady would expect you too? I think most of the time it would be expected

16. do you think manners are increasing or decreasing in todays society? Decreasing definately

fareezuh

HSC
1.age- 15
2. sex-f
3. heritage:paki
4. do you think you have been taught good manners?yes

5. From whom or where did you get taught them?parents

6. Do you think having good manners is an important aspect in your day to day life?yes ofcourse

7. Do you speak to your parents the same as you would your friends?no, i respect my parents a lot more and i am closer to my famiy as compared to my friends

yes i do although i am aware of the societal pressures to look down on trades people

no, i am a activist for equality and therfore believe that for the functionaity of society people of varios lvels are needed

10. If so why?

11. Are table manners enforced within your home?yes ut these manners aren't english as i eat curry so use my hands but i follow the tiqutte of eating with five fingers e.t.c

12. Is general politeness enforced eg thankyous and pleases? yes

13. Do you have a responsibility to help around the house and do your parents put that emphasis on your upbringing? yes

yes i would.

15. Do you think in that situation the elderly person or pregnant lady would expect you too? yes-they kind of expect i due to the way they were raised

the awareness that the generation 'x' manners are decrasing is very visble in todays society

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)