Please help! (1 Viewer)

Willohfish

HSC
N/A
Hi! I'm studying through distance education, and I've decided (Despite the advice of peers and some teachers) to take a full load of subjects next year. I've chosen Bio, Ancient History, Chemistry and Advanced English so far, but I'm having trouble with the last two, particularly maths.

I'm not hugely great with maths. I understand the concept and everything, but it stresses me out a lot, which is a problem with an anxiety disorder like mine. Because of this, my original instinct was to just take General Maths, and then do a bridging course when I go for my Bachelor of Science. This would mean I don't endanger my mental health at all. But I want a mark that's worthy of my potential - I can do maths, and I used to get high marks compared to my grade. It's only the stress I'm worried about.

So I'm kinda looking for advice from existing students, since I'm still lost. Which course of maths would I be best suited to? Should I not worry so much, take General maths and just do a bridging course later on? Or should I go for something higher scaling, possibly meaning I get into Uni sooner but posing a risk to my anxiety? Please help me out!

daryl-d

HSC
I would reccomend mathematics - it scales better than general maths and u can learn it your self and if u have trouble with it just get a tutor

to minimise stress i reccomend finishing which ever maths course u choose be it general or advanced maths as it will take a tonne of pressure of u and thus u can focus on other subjects u struggle with.

hope this helps, good luck with what ever decision u make

AlexJB

Unmotivated
HSC
If you believe you can do it, take Advanced maths. In order to keep the associated anxiety levels slow, I reccommend you take it slow, and study consistently throughout the year. If you dedicate a set amount of time each day (even as little as 30 minutes), and do this throughout the year you should have a firm grasp of the topic. As soon as you start feeling stressed, take a break and come back to it later. Remember you're rarely going to be able to complete every question, so if theres something you can't do, don't stress out. Just ask someone for help (if theres nobody around you ask somebody on this board to explain it).

I agree maths can be stressful if you leave study to the last minute. However if your consistent with your study you should be fine.

Good luck!

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Do advanced, it's not too bad when you put effort in. You can always drop down to general can't you?

zazzy1234

Banned
HSC
actually m amath teacher says that if u r gonna drop to general do it at the begginning coz like if u do it half way through would do VERY BADLY overall.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
actually m amath teacher says that if u r gonna drop to general do it at the begginning coz like if u do it half way through would do VERY BADLY overall.
I swapped to general a week before prelim final exams, got ~98% and came first. Ended up getting 95 in the HSC.
So your teacher is pretty off the mark there.

HSC
I would reccomend mathematics - it scales better than general maths and u can learn it your self and if u have trouble with it just get a tutor

to minimise stress i reccomend finishing which ever maths course u choose be it general or advanced maths as it will take a tonne of pressure of u and thus u can focus on other subjects u struggle with.

hope this helps, good luck with what ever decision u make
+1

there is too much wording in the questions with general, 2unit is more linear, so go with go Mathematics well not because of the scaling, but mainly because of the content involved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)