• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Please see this, letter to adrian piccoli, minister of education (4 Viewers)

hayabusaboston

HSC
Nah screw the whole thing, here's the gist:

I was just thinking rather than making english compulsory for ATAR, make it just compulsory in general. So for HSC you get an ATAR and report on all your subjects, but for english you get a separate booklet detailing your english performance. This way your ATAR is a true reflection of your ability (You only do the courses you want to and thus perform well in them, people generally perform well in what they enjoy)
BUT you also get english results, so you do english, you become literate like the board of studies wants you to be,
but it doesnt drag down ur ATAR

so when u go to Uni, the university looks at ur ATAR mainly and can look at English results if they feel like it, depending on how literate you have to be really, in that particular course. Either way, you have done sufficient english in high school to be considered literate, and you get an ATAR reflecting your true ability. ALTHOUGH if ur score is too low the uni doesnt have to accept u.

Basically it just makes things easier for everyone I think
do u think this is a good structure?

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Nah screw the whole thing, here's the gist:

I was just thinking rather than making english compulsory for ATAR, make it just compulsory in general. So for HSC you get an ATAR and report on all your subjects, but for english you get a separate booklet detailing your english performance. This way your ATAR is a true reflection of your ability (You only do the courses you want to and thus perform well in them, people generally perform well in what they enjoy)
BUT you also get english results, so you do english, you become literate like the board of studies wants you to be,
but it doesnt drag down ur ATAR

so when u go to Uni, the university looks at ur ATAR mainly and can look at English results if they feel like it, depending on how literate you have to be really, in that particular course. Either way, you have done sufficient english in high school to be considered literate, and you get an ATAR reflecting your true ability. ALTHOUGH if ur score is too low the uni doesnt have to accept u.

Basically it just makes things easier for everyone I think
do u think this is a good structure?
No this is horrendous.

I don't want international students destroying everyone.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
A staffer will glance at it and send you a standard form letter talking up the government's commitment to x policy area but ultimately giving a non answer to your concerns. Your letter will then be filed away in a black hole. Nothing further will happen. The minister will never see the letter.

This is what happens to letters sent to any government.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
No this is horrendous.

This.

If you want to be a doctor or something else similar that requires a high ATAR you certainly need to be good at English (as dicated by Australian society). Forcing English to be included in the ATAR calculation is essential in ensuring standards are maintained.

hayabusaboston

HSC
No this is horrendous.

How will international students destroy everyone? Uni's still can choose based on english, this provides two methods of assessment of capability for university entry, english ability and overall academic ability. It allows for a universal assessment of english competence! If an international student gets 99.95 but <30 in english, he wont be accepted anywhere. You see?

WHAT THIS DOES IS SEPARATE ACADEMIC RESULTS FROM ENGLISH COMPETENCE, which makes things so much easier for uni's! dont you guys see?

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
This.

If you want to be a doctor or something else similar that requires a high ATAR you certainly need to be good at English (as dicated by Australian society). Forcing English to be included in the ATAR calculation is essential in ensuring standards are maintained.
I agree :)

hayabusaboston

HSC
guys is it not clear by what I have said, english IS STILL COMPULSORY, it is only SEPARATED from your ATAR. So you STILL GOTTA WORK HARD TO MEET THE ENGLISH STANDARDS REQUIRED BY MED SCHOOLS, though it broadens the spectrum a bit to make ATAR achievement easier.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
guys is it not clear by what I have said, english IS STILL COMPULSORY, it is only SEPARATED from your ATAR. So you STILL GOTTA WORK HARD TO MEET THE ENGLISH STANDARDS REQUIRED BY MED SCHOOLS, though it broadens the spectrum a bit to make ATAR achievement easier.
No, the system is fine as it is. If English is pulling a person down so much then perhaps medicine etc is not for them.

hayabusaboston

HSC
A staffer will glance at it and send you a standard form letter talking up the government's commitment to x policy area but ultimately giving a non answer to your concerns. Your letter will then be filed away in a black hole. Nothing further will happen. The minister will never see the letter.

I have sent letters to the past and have received responses for all of them quite quickly.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Not always true Rafy. Happens 90% of the time but not always.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
How will international students destroy everyone? Uni's still can choose based on english, this provides two methods of assessment of capability for university entry, english ability and overall academic ability. It allows for a universal assessment of english competence! If an international student gets 99.95 but <30 in english, he wont be accepted anywhere. You see?

WHAT THIS DOES IS SEPARATE ACADEMIC RESULTS FROM ENGLISH COMPETENCE, which makes things so much easier for uni's! dont you guys see?
But I still don't think someone getting 99.90 and 65 in English should be selected over someone getting 99.7 and 94 in it.

And you've got to remember, scaling is determined by English.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Also without posting the actual letter this thread is useless

hayabusaboston

HSC
But I still don't think someone getting 99.90 and 65 in English should be selected over someone getting 99.7 and 94 in it.

And you've got to remember, scaling is determined by English.
Exactly. Thats why it maintains the need for skill in english because students have to compete with each other to get into a course.

hayabusaboston

HSC
What I said as "the gist" of the letter is exactly what ive said in the letter itself, only in an informal way, and lacking the personal introduction.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I am writing a letter to Mr Piccoli to suggest perhaps a slight change in the english syllabus for yr 12, would anyone be wanting to see what ive written and perhaps add something to it? IT DOES NOT SAY SCRAP THE WHOLE SUBJECT, It must be compulsory. However Ive thought of a structure which might be more appropriate for the majority of us. So anyone wanna read it? I will post it here if u say yes.
I think instead of wasting your time on a letter (which they will ignore imho), you should work on your English. It's the only spanner in the works for that .95 right? I mean someone with your IQ can play the subject of English I'm sure...

hayabusaboston

HSC
I think instead of wasting your time on a letter (which they will ignore imho), you should work on your English. It's the only spanner in the works for that .95 right? I mean someone with your IQ can play the subject of English I'm sure...
I dont have a problem with english really, only minor things which im hoping a tutour can fix, I just thought it might help some kids around the state.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)