plz help... modem problem (1 Viewer)

littlemic21

Lurking In The Shadows
HSC
hi, ive signed up with tpg adsl and got their dsl-200 modem n evrything but wen i tried to install it on my comp which has windows 2000 a shortcut was supposed to appear on my desktop to type my user name n pass in but it didnt work... i tried installin it on my laptop with windows xp n then it worked... i called the company n they said to get a service pack for windows... i did but it still didnt work... does anyone know how to fix this without installin xp coz itll be too slow on my crappy comp
thnx

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by littlemic21
hi, ive signed up with tpg adsl and got their dsl-200 modem n evrything but wen i tried to install it on my comp which has windows 2000 a shortcut was supposed to appear on my desktop to type my user name n pass in but it didnt work... i tried installin it on my laptop with windows xp n then it worked... i called the company n they said to get a service pack for windows... i did but it still didnt work... does anyone know how to fix this without installin xp coz itll be too slow on my crappy comp
thnx

nice avatar :p

if the shortcut did not appear, have you tried manually perusing through the Program Files directory?, i.e. generally it's C:\Program Files

should be under a normal folder named accordingly to TPG or something.

littlemic21

Lurking In The Shadows
HSC
yea i looked at the shortcut target on my laptop... it starts in network connections which is empty and the target is just 2 brackets with these numbers in between

Winston

HSC
yea i looked at the shortcut target on my laptop... it starts in network connections which is empty and the target is just 2 brackets with these numbers in between
when you launch the shortcut, does it execute an application or does it just open up a connection from network connections.

littlemic21

Lurking In The Shadows
HSC
no its not a connection... its this window which u type in ur username n pass then it dials up the adsl

Winston

HSC
no its not a connection... its this window which u type in ur username n pass then it dials up the adsl
does the window look like a Native Window type dialog? or does it look like it's provided by TPG, can you post me a screenshot of what the dialog actually looks like.

littlemic21

Lurking In The Shadows
HSC
na i cant get a screen shot but no its not windows type its a link made when the modem is installed coz its provided by d-link the modem company coz i gotta type my username in the form username@L2TP.tpg.com.au i think its not comming up coz the modem isnt installin properly on windows 2000

Winston

HSC
na i cant get a screen shot but no its not windows type its a link made when the modem is installed coz its provided by d-link the modem company coz i gotta type my username in the form username@L2TP.tpg.com.au i think its not comming up coz the modem isnt installin properly on windows 2000
Check if there's any device errors in device manager, in system properties.

Winston

HSC
usb
if it's plugged via USB, is there a safely remove device icon held under the system tray?

Winston

HSC
yes... it detects it wen i plug it in afta installation
a LAN connection is visible in the network connections right?

Winston

HSC
ok for the software provided by TPG once u install it have u tried choosing anothe location?

and what service pack did you install?

littlemic21

Lurking In The Shadows
HSC
u cant choose a location for the software... it installs the modem drivers

service pack 4

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Did you let Windows install it or did you install it manually using the CD/Floppy provided? Sometimes devices don't work because Windows install them automatically and the driver doesn't match

And you could try using DirectX Diagnosis to check your modem (type dxdiag, under the network tab, everything else is pretty much self explanatory)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)