Poem as Related Text? (1 Viewer)

historia

HSC
Hi,

Would it still be ok to use a poem as related text if i'm already studying Skrzynecki's Immigrant Chronicle as a prescribed text? Or should I try to find a text of a different medium to show more variety?

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
A different medium is probably best, if you are looking for something that is perhaps a bit smaller than a novel perhaps try a short story

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
a different medium allows you to demonstrate skills in deconstructing all types of texts, what is the poem you were intending to use? If you could find a better related text, I don't advise you to use a poem. Check out this link-it has got a lot of interesting and not overused related texts:) http://www.hscdiscovery.com.au/#!belonging-2014/citr

FalseFallacy

HSC
N/A
As everyone above has stated, doing a poem is not advisable if you're doing Immigrant Chronicle. The syllabus for AOS states that you should explore representations of belonging (obviously, not quoted word for word) and therefore, using different textual forms will allow you to address this part a lot more effectively.
If you're planning on doing a different form of poetry (for example, Shakespeare's sonnets or Tennyson's dramatic monologues) it would likely work out, but you'd have to explore the different poetic/rhythm techniques and conventions (which is a bitch) in order to clearly show the difference in the textual forms.

More importantly however, make sure that whatever related text you use can easily compare and contrast with the themes of Immigrant Chronicle in order to write a properly synthesised response. E.g the importance of belonging to family, culture and the dissonance that migrants feel in a new country.

HSC
I got told you can't do the same text type.

I did Skrzynecki and I did Nino Culotta's film They're A Weird Mob. It links really well with the overall rubric of belonging and you can find it on YouTube. It is also not one that everybody knows of which is a massive plus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)