• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Poetry is stupid (1 Viewer)

2syllables

Dango Daikazoku
HSC
Since I am currently bored and with nothing better to do I thought I would
offer some observations which are roughly related to matter of poetry.

To me a good poetry is text that:
1.should include a logical construction,

2.It should use literary devices in competent manner-- metaphors, similes, oxymorons, various sentence structures, etc,

3.Poetry should use as few words as possible, and it should be as efficient as possible in the conveying of sentiment,

4.should be fun to read. It should contain surprises and literary amusement to the mind.

But there also bad poetry in our world There are any number of clear indicators including the following:

1. Clumsy construction to preserve rhythm or rhyme ... he gave to me a
wedding ring/and on that day the birds did sing. <HOW STUPID>

2. Poems that rambles on some subject that the readers dont even noe about man...

It really depends on people's attiudes and their personality but when it comes to school poetry :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: times 100000

Ah well, back to life :)

ign0r4mus

HSC
live.fast said:
Oh and btw
Eliot is a gay man :)
Am i the only one disturbed when live.fast said that elliot is gay and put a smiley face. Is he implying anything about his sexual orientation??

Last edited:

sleepplease

HSC
in terms of your comments about the poem's ambiguity and thus the inability to determine what the author originally intended - i'd be inclined to say it didn't matter. Poetry is about finding something, feeling something in the words which say something to you. It doesn't matter WHY they say soemthing to you or HOW (well it does when you are studying it - but school study is NEVERreal appreciation of poetry) but the fact that if a poem speaks to you, it means something. beauty is subjective remember :)

why do you keep mentioning that Elliot is gay? is that significant in the least?

2syllables

Dango Daikazoku
HSC
I do agree with u on about 'feeling something in the words' but when u say it doesn't matter why or how the author say something. But in fact it does matter, we need to noe the author intentions so that we can UNDERSTAND his meaning in writing the poem. Author intentions depends on his context. The author's intentions is also vital as like u said school can analyse it but furthermore we can unbury his message much easier if we noe what his meaning is. Example: Before 9/11 u prob wouldn't care about terroist bombing but after 9/11 u would be.

My example suxs but just deal with it

laterz

(*man.on.fire*)

HSC
live.fast, think about all the enrgy ur wasting trying to prove elliot is an idiot.
i think its rather hyporcitical to critisise his work for stealing other peoples work, then go on and get what other people said and use that in ur own work. think about it for a sec, he took other peoples work to support his ideals (as sad and depressing as they are). And you took other peoples work to supoort your ideas...ur just as bad as he is:p

i cant be bothered typing anymore...gonna go passout somewhere

The arab is right forever...case closed!!!:D

HSC
i reckon that Eliot is gay cos he can't make up his own stuff. I think this is the fourth or fifth time i've said it, but he just alludes, alludes, and wait for it........alludes a bit more. Most of his work is referencing other texts, hardly any originality.

Come on Eliot, where's the creativity, the originality.

I should start my own thread, who believes that Eliot wrote "The Hollow Men" was wrote with a pair of scissors and glue (i.e: he just cut, copied and pasted from other peoples' works such as Conrad, Dante, and the nursery rhymes which r included)?

i should start a poll!!!

Hollow Men is an infringement of copyright laws......beautiful, i think not

HSC
go live.fast, speak the truth

Hollow Men = Depressing

Eliot = emo

Poetry = .....well, poetry is a way of expressing feeling, and in this case, we as readers should be able to feel the message which Eliot is intending to bring across to us. However, as reasers, we tend to get caught up in a lot of the techniques used by Eliot. You say poetry is about finding meaning, but how bout da author, he writes poetry to express what he feels, and if we can't identify what he feels, what is the purpose of poetry.

A l

HSC
N/A
Just because certain poems have failed to attract your interest, doesn't mean that this is what all poems are like. There are definitely some good poems out there (e.g. Robert Frost).
Everyone has their own opinion on what a good or bad poem is like. It depends on the context you have been brought up with and this varies from person to person. It seems more apparent that you do not understand the whole point of analysing the poem. The context you have been brought up in, seems to be about modern values and prosaic understandings. Writing something straightforward and explicitly conveying meaning in a text makes the text too simple and too boring for readers of your age. That is why there is something called "higher order thinking".
If you read good novels (especially mystery novels), you'll realise that you have to do some thinking to work out what the story is about and what it is implying otherwise you'll be totally lost. The story and its message isn't going to be in your face, so you have to work it out yourself. In effect, you experience the imagery and action in the novel rather than some mundane story saying this person did this and then walked to this place before doing this etc.........
The same goes for poetry. Now, I'm not saying whether the poetry you are doing is good or bad. In class, you do not have to appreciate your texts. All these language devices are there to allow the reader to experience imagery. Allusions are made because of his context, so people that read his poems at the time would draw some sensible meaning to it.
The whole point of analysing the poetry (regardless of whether you like it or not) and exploring levels of meaning is to understand how people interpret texts in various ways according to their context. You have your own interpretation, while other people may respond differently. This is understanding how meaning is shaped by context. It does not necessarily have to be the composer's intention. That's not the point of analysing it. For example if you were living in a similar context as T.S Elliot then perhaps you would think differently about the poem.
Also, with regards to drawing non-existent meaning, how can you draw meaning that isn't there with a reasonable and convincing justification? Any interpretation of a text is fine as long as you can provide a convincing and detailed argument about why you think this is the meaning of the text(s). It seems ludicrous to you probably because you're used to reading texts which convey prosaic ideas to you, plus poetry is not a popular feature of modern literature for youths....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)