Poetry Major Works (1 Viewer)

Enigmatic Eve

HSC
Hey everyone!!

Just wondering for those who elected poetry as their medium for their major work, what was the chosen concept and subject matter?

I did physical and inner journeys, focusing on the diverse radii of journeys that adolescents face, regardless of time and context.

Reply, reply, REPLY!!!

Fire_Hydra

ain't no other
HSC
My concept was the journey from childhood to adulthood - My persona uses a well known children's story as a metaphor to explain her experiences in life...

mandalay

cortigiana onesta
HSC
i was thinking of doing 'the aftermath of love' but it's probably too corny... what do u think?

Enigmatic Eve

HSC
mandalay said:
i was thinking of doing 'the aftermath of love' but it's probably too corny... what do u think?
Are you in year 11?

Yeh, I think its a bit overdone. maybe you can add some creative flair to it somehow...

Remember, You have to link your concept of your major work with Advanced English and Extension 1 English. Do you have any other ideas? Good luck with everything.

mandalay

cortigiana onesta
HSC
yeah i'm in yr 11 and argh i kinda 'forgot' that my concept has to link in with adv and ext english.

lol so yeah i'm much more screwed over that i previously thought.

now, not only do i not have a theme yet, i also have to chose an 'english' related theme...

hmm :$

mandalay

cortigiana onesta
HSC
does your theme have to be related to an area of study in the syllabus, or just english in general?

Serpentia

Mine was the progression of an individual through a week focusing on concepts such as the desensitization of humanity, transience and such by means of technological progression. In the more simplistic sense it is observations made by one character of the modern world she is exposed to. But the week concept was just a way of linking them all together.

Mandalay

Some advice from someone who's been there
a) your concept will change. Even if you don't think it will. When I started off I was going to look at exploring or subverting notions of light and dark.. and look at what I ended up doing.

b) don't worry about the linking with the two courses. Get a concept and you will find links. I promise you that. right now you shouldn't even think about those links - especially considering you haven't even done the courses for year 12 yet. how can you think of links already without having done the course. So put those at the very back of your mind and just go with the flow.

4 unit is the development of a major work over a year. It will all fall into place.

mandalay

cortigiana onesta
HSC
thank you so much for your advice :)

i feel better now knowing that others have been in the same boat as me lol i guess i was just stressing... but i kinda get it now...

thanks SO much, Serpentina.

~ mandalay

mandalay

cortigiana onesta
HSC
yeah i know that my anthology will be a development of a major work over a year... but i guess i'm just worried it won't be enough time lol

when i finally do chose a theme that works... there'll be periods of 'writer's block' etc... i duno... i'm probably just not handling this too well :(

mandalay

cortigiana onesta
HSC
lol ok so now that i realise there needs to be a link... what do u think about the 'imaginative journey'

i think it's too overdone... but i can't really think of much else :S

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
well. first of all i'd like to say that i alleady know that the forums pritty old... but hey.. there's no harm in adding to it....

Anyways. just reading through it... ummm aren't we supposed to link it up to our year 11 advanced and extension...

because if u were suuposed to link it up to year 12 then that would mean u basically couldn't develop ur concept the whole 1st term..... well u could... but not in realtion to ur advanced and extnesion... plus most schools make u write ur proposal in the first term of year 12... and in ur proposal ur supposed to include a connection with the two courses... soooooo... yeh.. u kinda lost me there...

Anyways i don't think they really specified in the syllabus whether it has to be fromm year 11 or 12 ( please correct me on this)..... but oh well both ways i don't see any harm......

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
i may have mentioned to some on a previous thread, but my concept is relating to music and it's contributions to the poetic form and how poetry is a correlation between rhythm and the spoken word. i was planning to examine the works of incubus, oasis, nirvana, bob dylan, jeff buckley etc. i am not sure how plausibly this relates to any year 11 course material, perhaps how poetry can be manipulated and altered to form meaning (perhaps a personal to universal concept)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
My concept was the relationship between parent and child.

Letting them go etc.

I just kinda paralleled it to God and Adam, before God gave Adam free will and flesh - a creation rather than an individual....
Put some foreign languages within it, dense intertextuality...

Some existentialist and postmodern concepts intertwined.

I basically complicated a very simple concept with others.
Got a great mark for it.
46/50

phatic

HSC
Anyone doing poetry, I suggest you read How Poetry Works by Phil Roberts. It doesn't exactly tell you how to write, but it shows all the features(?) of poetry... Yeah... Like metre, sound patterns (there are many more than rhyme), etc... Have a look anyway, it's really helped me.

I'm probably just going to do some observations of the modern world or something, I don't know really. Aslong as they're good, I don't care much about the concept and all that... I'll make it up at the end. :D

Perhaps something to do with Nietzsche and Goethe... there's a certain paragraph in The Birth of Tragedy that's golden. I'll quote it actually. I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do with this concept though... Gah, I hate all this uncertainty.

--

While the transport of the Dionysian state, with its suspension of all the ordinary barriers of existence, lasts, it carries with it a lethargical element in which everything that has been experienced by the individual is drowned. This chasm of oblivion separates the quotidian reality from the Dionysian. But as soon as that quotidian reality enters consciousness once more it is viewed with loathing, and the consequence is an ascetic, abulic state of mind. In this sense Dionysian man might be said to resemble Hamlet: both have looked deeply into the true nature of things, they have gained knowledge and are now loath to act. They realize that no action of theirs can work any change in the eternal condition of things, and they regard the imputation as ludicrous or debasing that they should set right the time which is out of joint. Knowledge kills action, for in order to act we require the veil of illusion—such is Hamlet's doctrine, not to be confounded with the cheap wisdom of Jack the Dreamer, who through too much reflection, as it were a surplus of possibilities, never arrives at action!— What, both in the case of Hamlet and of Dionysian man, overbalances any motive leading to action, is not reflection but knowledge, the apprehension of truth and its terror. Now no comfort any longer avails, desire reaches beyond the transcendental world, beyond the gods themselves, and existence, together with its glittering reflection in the gods and an immortal Beyond, is denied. The truth once seen, man is aware everywhere of the ghastly absurdity of existence, comprehends the symbolism of Ophelia's fate and the wisdom of the wood sprite Silenus: nausea invades him.

Then, in this supreme jeopardy of the will, art, that sorceress expert in healing, approaches him; only she can turn his fits of nausea into imaginations with which it is possible to live. These are on the one hand the sublime, which subjugates terror by means of art; on the other hand the comic, which releases us, through art, from the tedium of absurdity. The satyr chorus of the dithyramb was the salvation of Greek art; the threatening paroxysms I have mentioned were contained by the intermediary of those Dionysian attendants.

--

If anyone's interested, I stole it from the Nietzsche Channel, a site with all his works... http://www.geocities.com/thenietzschechannel/

steffo

steph
HSC
i'm doing performance poetry focusing on elements of popular culture.
i haven't relaly developed my ideas heaps, because i just changed my whole concept and medium too completely. i was doing speech, but it's too bland and inflexible for what i want to do.

i think performance poetry is an awesome option if you are into poetry, or any creative and expressive writing really. and if you like music and drama too. im into performance of any kind and im really excited about this medium.

i would like help from anyone who did do it though. there seems to be lots of talk on just poetry, but not too many posts about performance type of poetry.

does anyone have any recommendations of poets to read? i'm not really looking for deep and meaningful- some of that is good, but anyone have any favourite artists/songwriters who have good lyrics?

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
ummm there is a very good website for performance poet Saul Williams. he is an african-american writer, actor, musician and poet, you could find his website at www.saulwilliams.com

phatic

HSC
Is anyone reading the works of other great poets as part of their research? As inspiration, for ideas, etc... I'm reading T.S. Eliot right now. I enjoy his work so much that I'm considering a critical analysis of his works rather than writing my own for a major work...

camhissey

HSC
Hey

im doing inner journey and such also.

its a suite of poems moving from very dark poems to very happy and lighthearted poems, all because the one narrator experineces thigns along his journey through said poems.

Khypheneight

HSC
I'm doing a collection of poetry for the HSC... my topic/s can be described as metaphorical... my poetry don't tend to have a set topic to them, hence the collection, but they kind of describe the anger and pain my persona goes through... the abuse reality makes her stand... so she kind of goes on "Imaginative Journies"... man, the whole journey thing is starting really annoy me... oh well, the school year is almost over!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)