• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Police officer fatally shot in Tamworth (1 Viewer)

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
"A POLICE officer fatally wounded in a shoot-out with another man today was a father of four, with many years in the force.

The 41-year-old highway patrol officer was shot in the stomach and abdomen during an incident in West Tamworth, about 8am.

Paramedics rushed the officer to Tamworth Base Hospital, but he died a short time later. Another man, who is believed to have fired the shots at the officer, was also taken to hospital. He remains in a stable condition under police guard. The shooting happened outside an apartment block on Lorraine St. It is understood the highway patrol officer pulled over a car in the street, and an altercation arose, which lead to a shoot-out.

The homicide squad is leading the investigating the incident.

Colleagues at Tamworth police station are being comforted and offering counselling, in the wake of the tragedy. A relative of the killed officer told The Telegraph he was a devoted father of four, and an officer of many years experience. "How do you get your head around this…we are all numb," the relative said.

There are over 250 names on the NSW Police Force's Honour Roll – officers who never made it home from their shift. "Unfortunately due to the nature of policing, this Honour Roll will never be complete," a statement on the NSW Police Force website, accompanying the roll, reads. "May they rest in peace . . . lest we forget.""

That is terrible news, Australia should have the death penalty for offenders who kill police officers and other emergency/service personnel.

www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/police-officer-shot-in-tamworth/story-e6freuy9-1226286932459

bladeys

HSC
N/A

That is terrible news, Australia should have the death penalty for offenders who kill police officers and other emergency/service personnel.

What makes a police offer/emergency/service personnel's life more valuable than an innocent civilian's life? I think if youre going to bring in the death penalty it would have to be for all murders not just the murders of police officers etc

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
They are protecting the community for the good of the public. No one expects to go to work and be killed.

Cl324

HSC
N/A
They devote their lives to serve and protect. If a police officer dies in the line of duty, no shit its worse.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Police don't protect people, that is not their primary function and it never has been. They are an investigative force that's functionality relates only to charging people who have broken the law, whatever the law may be, often by means that break other laws. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but all this patriotism about how they're such noble warriors of benevolence protecting the kiddies from the big bad criminals is a crock of shit. They are regular people that are simply above the law in a lot of cases. What has happened is awful, absolutely terrible, but one person's life is not more important, in a court of law, than another.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
You're an idiot.
I was being facetious about how they enforce victimless crimes to the detriment of the community, yeah, but a lot of people (yourself obviously included) tend to forget that they do actually hurt people.

enoilgam

HSC
What makes a police offer/emergency/service personnel's life more valuable than an innocent civilian's life?
Its not about the value of a persons life, its about the severity of the crime. A person willing to kill a police officer poses a great threat to society then most killers. Also, the crime itself is far more egregious than most murders (with the exception of maybe child homicide). I disagree with the death penalty though, but I reakon their should be a life without parole sentence for killing police officers in addition to other homicides (i.e. child killers, murdering a witness).

bladeys

HSC
N/A
Its not about the value of a persons life, its about the severity of the crime. A person willing to kill a police officer poses a great threat to society then most killers. .
mate.. A killer is a killer, regardless of who it is they killed, therefore they are a danger to society, which is why the law puts them in jail.... You cant argue that some killers are more dangerous than others using your cop killer argument.

How many serial killers target policemen....?

lauren-c

HSC
Uni Grad
Aww, such a sad news story! I have relatives in Tamworth and I wouldn't be surprised if they knew him... normally such a nice community!

enoilgam

HSC
mate.. A killer is a killer, regardless of who it is they killed, therefore they are a danger to society, which is why the law puts them in jail.... You cant argue that some killers are more dangerous than others using your cop killer argument.

How many serial killers target policemen....?
Who is more dangerous, a man who kills his wife in a crime of passion or a cop killer? Or what about a bank robber who accidentally shoots a bank customer during a bank robbery? Society needs to make it clear that they will not tolerate people killing the police - its even a key rule in the underworld (its one of the top rules for the Italian Mafia) that police officers are not to be touched. The crime is a serious one because it strikes at the moral fibre of society.

Even under the eyes of the law, the crime of homicide is broken down into different catagories (i.e. murder and manslaughter) because some are more serious than others.

I would consider serial killers to be the most dangerous kind of murderers, I probably should of added that in my previous post.

Last edited:

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Why does a police officer have more of a right to protect themselves with deadly force than anyone else?

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Who is more dangerous, a man who kills his wife in a crime of passion or a cop killer? Or what about a bank robber who accidentally shoots a bank customer during a bank robbery? Society needs to make it clear that they will not tolerate people killing the police - its even a key rule in the underworld (its one of the top rules for the Italian Mafia) that police officers are not to be touched. The crime is a serious one because it strikes at the moral fibre of society.Even under the eyes of the law, the crime of homicide is broken down into different catagories (i.e. murder and manslaughter) because some are more serious than others.I would consider serial killers to be the most dangerous kind of murderers, I probably should of added that in my previous post.
So why can a bank robber accidentally kill a civilian but can't accidentally kill a cop? Your logic is ridiculous and flawed and betrays your original intention.

The reason why the mob leaves cops alone is because cops are people and they will fucking swarm if their own are messed with.

You know

Kill other men, women, kids but don't kill cops because it poses a greater insult to society? You're insane

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
So why can a bank robber accidentally kill a civilian but can't accidentally kill a cop? Your logic is ridiculous and flawed and betrays your original intention. The reaaon why the mob leaves cops alone is because cops are people and they will fucking swarm if their own are messed with. You knowKill other men, women, kids but don't kill cops because it poses a greater insult to society? You're insane
If a bank robber kills a person in the commision of a bank robbery, its constructive murder even if it was an accident. So this means that a cop killer and the bankrobber are subject to the same charge and punishment. I probably should have explained myself better there. Also, in addition to not killing cops to avoid heat, gangsters dont kill cops because its considered dishonorable - in the Italian mafia its considered dishonorable even to resist arrest. So if thats crossing a major line to gangsters, maybe we should reconsider how we see it.

I can see where you guys are coming from with the whole "all life is equal" argument, but I just think that there are certain types of murders which require a stronger reaction from the CJS - cop killing is one of them. I'd also include child killers, serial killers, and people who kill witnesses on the same level as a cop killing.

Also, police are subject to the same self defence standards as private citizens (all people have the right to employ deadly force in certain circumstances).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)