police radar detectors!! (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
recently got one, wow did it come in handy, i found out there was so much hidden cameras around the places which i usually drive to. I know its illegal and all, but who else got one? dw i wont tell ;)

*speeds through 100km + through the school zone*

:lol:

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
um. They are totally illegal and not all that relyable. Depending in your type of detector, it might not be "hidden cameras" you are detecting but just the signal from your own radar bouncing off an overhead bridge or a wall directly ahead or something.

Keepleft

HSC
N/A
Illegal in most Australian States and Territories except Western Australia. Here in NSW the fine exceeds $1,000 for simply having it the car, switched off on the floor!

Police can, and will detect 99% of these devices, so be careful.

I personally see no reason why they are prohibited, aside from politically correct posturings a few years ago when the ARR's were developed. Their prohibition was not the basis that cars using them were wiping themselves and other drivers out, that much is certain. Also accepting the fact that 80% of speed related crashes occure below existing speed limits in any case!

IF you WA folk et al use one, just don't drive like a tool or at lunatic speeds.

WA would be wise to NOT ban the devices, ways and means to set them off to slow down or 'alert' the <1% of drivers that use them.

Last edited:

Evilo

HSC
I got a money saving tip that will avoid you being arrested/fined etc- Don't Speed!

Keepleft

HSC
N/A
Evilo said:
I got a money saving tip that will avoid you being arrested/fined etc- Don't Speed!
Very good, but remember too that 80% of crashes occure below the current speed-limits.

And that has bugger all to do with any 'requirement' for a radar detector.

Avoid 'speed-limit conditioning', but accept legal maximums apply in 99% of cases, often - you genuinely need to be below the speed limit.

Stevo.

no more talk
HSC
I wonder if there's a device to make all hidden cameras, speed detectors and police vehicles blow up within range of my car. Also anyone with a Jesus fish as well as any other driver I don't like and is in my way.

CieL

HSC
DaddyK said:
Whats a hidden camera?...i do beleive all speed cameras have to be advertised atleast 400m before they can read your speed.
I'm guessing police/handheld radars??

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Yeeeah there's nothing that can actually specifically pick up a police radar. The reason it goes off so often is because it picks up zillions of other signals which have nothing to do with police cameras.

So you paid money for an illegal, effectively useless signal detector. Well done.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
scarybunny said:
Yeeeah there's nothing that can actually specifically pick up a police radar. The reason it goes off so often is because it picks up zillions of other signals which have nothing to do with police cameras.

So you paid money for an illegal, effectively useless signal detector. Well done.

It actually works for me, I swear. :D

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Keepleft said:
Very good, but remember too that 80% of crashes occure below the current speed-limits.

And that has bugger all to do with any 'requirement' for a radar detector.

Avoid 'speed-limit conditioning', but accept legal maximums apply in 99% of cases, often - you genuinely need to be below the speed limit.
No. Just no.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
chicky_pie said:
What do you mean? Yes, it is picking up signals. It can't tell the difference between a police radar and a mobile phone, and the latter is what you're getting most of the time.

It's useless.

Keepleft

HSC
N/A
This is the company that makes devices for traffic police designed to 'detect' a motorist's radar detector.

http://www.spectre-rdd.com/stalcar.asp

Rem too; Fixed speed cameras, signed or not, use sensors embedded in the road, not radar to detect speed.

Then we have the point to point systems that judge speed over time and distance. Bear this stuff in mind.

Riet wrote: -
No. Just no.
Stop yelling, just keep your speed safe.

Last edited:

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
chicky_pie said:
to distressed to tell us that she spent a shit load of money on a piece of shit!

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
Keepleft said:
Then we have the point to point systems that judge speed over time and distance. Bear this stuff in mind.
yeh i remember, long time ago, they were going to use them on the highways, so its like there are speed cameras kilometres long, heard this on the news a while back.

have they actually introduced them?

havnt seen any yet.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
wrxsti said:
yeh i remember, long time ago, they were going to use them on the highways, so its like there are speed cameras kilometres long, heard this on the news a while back.

havnt seen any yet.
All fixed speed cameras use that you douche. The two points are about a metre apart right in the line of sight of the camera, and your speed is calculated from the time it takes the front/rear axle to cover the distance between both points.

Keepleft

HSC
N/A
wrxsti said:

havnt seen any yet.
Yes, along the Victorian lengths of the Hume Highway (not to freeway construction standard, hence my refusal to call it a freeway).

And in NSW to the Pacific Highway, operating and some points yet to be installed.

A point between each camera could be hundreds of kilometres!

NSW now operates number plate recognition units (tri-pod device-amber light), if you ever see a parked line of vehicles on the side of a road without number plates, you will know why. RTA estimate that some 300,000 vehicles using NSW roads are unregistered, fines exceeding $1,400 apply now. Issues of insurance etc denote the severity-in-outcome and hence the harsh applied penalties.

Be registered. Whilst not law, your vehicle should at least carry third party property insurance as well!

Last edited:

w2dot

HSC
Driver nabbed with radar detector

March 21, 2008

A driver has been fined $1245 after he was caught with an illegal radar detector, police say.
The 38-year-old man, driving a Holden Monaro, also lost nine points off his licence after he was pulled over by traffic police today in Rozelle, in Sydney's inner-west.
"Leichhardt Highway Patrol were patrolling Victoria Road, just west of the Anzac Bridge ... when officers using an unmarked car observed a driver allegedly using a radar detector," police said.
"The modified Holden Monaro was stopped and the driver was spoken to."
The car was pulled over by police conducting an Easter crackdown on speed and other road safety offences.
It is illegal to use a speed radar detecting device on the road in most Australian states.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/natio...-radar-detector/2008/03/20/1205602552067.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)