Political comment in creative? (1 Viewer)

ncoul

HSC
My creative revolves around female oppression in the middle east- making a comment about islam and how it traditionally places women in subserivence. Is this too outlandish and controversial for the BOS?

fakermaker

HSC
Probably not too outlandish or controversial...but it probably is a shit story.

My teacher always told us: Never write a story where that couldnt possibly happen to you in real life. Eg: dont be a spy, dont be a housewife whose beaten daily, dont be the president of the US.

For my creative, I wrote a story about a boy catching ants...there was a subtle philosophical message in there (cant be bothered explaining it...the ant's physical size was reflective of how he felt, etc). I got full marks for the story in both my trials and the HSC. Point is, think smaller

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
You can write about 'impossible' topics, it's just generally harder to do so because you don't have a way into your character, so to speak.

The topic is probably fine. The only issue is making sure the political point doesn't overshadow the relationship to belonging.

ncoul

HSC
Okay, i'm horrible at creative writing, partly why I got rid of extension. I just wanted to make the piece as poignant as possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)