• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

POLITICAL TRAP: Gillard, Abbott hide from angry protesters (2 Viewers)

Garygaz

HSC
yeh i knew it was a bad analogy it was just the first thing that came to my head.

essentially, all i'm saying is;

a moral wrong was done >200 years ago to the aboriginal people. we've been trying and failing to bring key indicators like education/health up to the same standard as non-aboriginal australians at the cost of god knows how much. i'm just mad that i'm still paying money into education programs, intervention programs and whatever a government will next dream up next and that it his having a negligible effect.

i mean we are literally paying for the sins of our fathers. there's this guilt that we're supposed to burden and everyone is too politically correct to say 'well why?'

Garygaz

HSC
yeh see that's what i mean, it's always 'we' did this. 'we' stole their land, 'we' are responsible for the stolen generation

god damn society is a joke

A

autismsuperstar

throwing money at them is pointless

there is a disproportionate amount of money thrown at back road shitholes with a negligible aboriginal population because some wanker policy makers decided it's the best way to band aid fix the problem. so you have places like bourke, walgett and wilcannia which get millions of dollars of funding. walgett has a brand new hospital with a state of the art theatre room, where all the equipment is still in fkn plastic wrap 5 years later because they don't actually perform any theatre there, but some dickhead was like "lol we'll fix the gap by giving them this brand new hospital so when they whinge about disparity we can say hey look you have a brand new hospital with all these amazing features, stfu"

meanwhile places like wagga, the main referral hospital for most of southern nsw struggles to function and literally kills people because of a lack of funding and direction.

HSC
i
i dont think its the lack of health facilities that causes them to die earlier lol probably just the massive rates of alcoholism, smoking, obesity and general (relative) poverty. and we all know what the solution to being poor is being white (moving to the north shore)

A

autismsuperstar

i just got my text book for this indigenous health subject and basically just replace white with "invaders" for 200 pages

dats racist

HSC
have you read much of it what does it say
is it written by abo apologists (chemical ali)

A

autismsuperstar

i mean was it an invasion. were the british really going to *invade* an entire country with a fleet of rapscallion prisoners and ~200 military personnel and limited supplies

A

autismsuperstar

no they were just setting up camp

no white guilt because everything is relative to the time period from when it occurred. so it was perfectly normal in the 1700s to conquer, rape and pillage the weaker nations and steal all of their glorious land and/or minerals/precious metals. i would be uneasy with them doing this now, but it's hardly fair to refer to white people as "invaders" when the majority of the first white australians actually came to this glorious land bound in shackles and cuffs and forced to endure 7 years hard labour, trying to tend to the soft sandy loams of botany bay

HSC
idk
i dont think it is relevant what it was

land changes hand all the time
imagine if we looked back at certain parts of land in europe and the middle east and tried to go back in time and grant ownership based on the original custodians of the land
sorry everyone get out of england it belongs to the celts or whoever

the only thing i think that should matter is inclusion/equality within the current community that resides in that location. if we didnt count them as citizens or allow them to vote etc (or had some sort of inefficient system of affirmative action that granted you social services based on ethnicity lol) or other discriminatory policies then that would be a problem.

HSC
the government enforcing any sort of notion that ethnicity matters/should be a determinant in anything (through affirmative action etc) is probably doing far more harm than anything else
marginalising coons and causing whiteys to resent them which just further drives a wedge between the different communities

i guess the govt is trying to make up for the institutionalised rape that occured during the 50s and 60s idk

HSC
what explains the difference in health and education outcomes in aboriginals living in major cities and regional centressss especially in recent generations (ones who werent raped/stolen and werent children of raped/stolen kids)

A

autismsuperstar

what explains the difference in health and education outcomes in aboriginals living in major cities and regional centressss especially in recent generations (ones who werent raped/stolen and werent children of raped/stolen kids)
is this a loaded question or...

is there a major disparity in outcomes for indigenous children in rural verses metro areas?

essentially i think it comes down to environmental influences more than anything. if there is no value placed on education or health in the home, and if all you've known is alcoholism and poverty the cycle tends to repeat itself. and it's not unique to indigenous families, obviously. so i think if we were to completely analyse the rural verses metro outcomes, would we find that metro abos are more likely to come from more stable family life with a higher value placed on breaking the cycle than we would in places like dubbo, bourke etc

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
one in three abo kids are hearing impaired, as opposed to like 1 out of 6-10 non-aboriginals (and it persists into late adolescence etc.)

interestingly enough, aboriginal/regional communities with public swimming pools have lower incidences of hearing impairment (possibly just an income effect, not sure)

A

autismsuperstar

so tl;dr the main issue affecting indigenous outcomes is the lack of support from family networks and a lack of close role models with which to impart a positive influence

this is not something we can fix due to the giant mistrust placed on whitey interveners, and is something which must be rectified within the aboriginal communities. as long as the education is available and accessible, and it is, and as long as policy continues to place an importance on improving outcomes for indigenous people, as far as i'm concerned the government is doing its job. but it's a two way street and i doubt anything is going to be majorly fixed for a few generations. until the drunks all die.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)