• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

POLITICAL TRAP: Gillard, Abbott hide from angry protesters (1 Viewer)

A

autismsuperstar

one in three abo kids are hearing impaired, as opposed to like 1 out of 6-10 non-aboriginals (and it persists into late adolescence etc.)

interestingly enough, aboriginal/regional communities with public swimming pools have lower incidences of hearing impairment (possibly just an income effect, not sure)
two reasons, possibly
the over representation of certain defects and health conditions in aboriginal children may be due to the population accounting for a tiny fraction of the overall population
plus smoking, consumption of alcohol and lack of compliance with pre/ante natal care occurs at a higher rate with indigenous women which again is something that needs to be addressed at an environmental level, because the resources are there they're just not being utilised.

and it's not entirely unexpected that the healthcare is under utilised by aboriginals, especially in regards to kids. the big cloud of DOCS and memories of stolen generation etc still have a negative psychological effect which in turn becomes further detrimental to the cause

A

autismsuperstar

and what i mean by that is:

a problem which begins as a minor childhood affliction, not unique to aboriginals and certainly not indicative of child abuse *becomes* classified as child abuse and neglect because an unwillingness to seek medical advice at the first instance results in further, sometimes irreversible pathology

they're trying to rectify that with the recruitment of more aboriginal health workers and patient liaison officers but idk

HSC
is this a loaded question or...

is there a major disparity in outcomes for indigenous children in rural verses metro areas?

essentially i think it comes down to environmental influences more than anything. if there is no value placed on education or health in the home, and if all you've known is alcoholism and poverty the cycle tends to repeat itself. and it's not unique to indigenous families, obviously. so i think if we were to completely analyse the rural verses metro outcomes, would we find that metro abos are more likely to come from more stable family life with a higher value placed on breaking the cycle than we would in places like dubbo, bourke etc
no, comparison of aboriginals v whites in cities and large regional centres
there is still a discrepancy but they are living in the same postcode, attending the same schools with access to the same (if not better) health care
why is this

its removing the additional bias that you get when you lump in aboriginals living in the desert and fnq etc

A

autismsuperstar

so then the answer possibly is environmental factors, i.e. family influences etc?

HSC
that has never even crossed my mine

cant take the kids to the doctors they might take em off me

A

autismsuperstar

that has never even crossed my mine

cant take the kids to the doctors they might take em off me
yeah absolutely, it's not something you think of but i had a great discussion with an aboriginal health worker once and i was like please can you just explain what the reluctance is and she was like

basically
because of the ghosts of the past, aboriginal women are concerned that if their child gets sick and they take it to the hospital, they will be accused of neglect or mistreatment even if it's something normal and benign like an ear infection, tonsillitis etc

so what starts as a basic case of otitis media which can be easily treated with antibiotics, becomes something much more serious like meningitis, deafness etc which then *does* become classed as neglect

so it's like

a pretty shitty cycle

a c

HSC
no they were just setting up camp

no white guilt because everything is relative to the time period from when it occurred. so it was perfectly normal in the 1700s to conquer, rape and pillage the weaker nations and steal all of their glorious land and/or minerals/precious metals. i would be uneasy with them doing this now, but it's hardly fair to refer to white people as "invaders" when the majority of the first white australians actually came to this glorious land bound in shackles and cuffs and forced to endure 7 years hard labour, trying to tend to the soft sandy loams of botany bay
Can't you use this line of reasoning to excuse every atrocity, ever.

Virtually all the wars, occupations, genocides, purges of the 20th century were culturally normal for a particular national culture.

Garygaz said:
a moral wrong was done >200 years ago
Because no major discrimination occurred after 1788. If you want to find a slighted people, you're looking at still living parents/grandparents who faced horrible discrimination, so it's not really surprising that the current generation isn't functionally healthy.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Uppity darkies... if they don't want vastly disparate education and health outcomes, why didn't they just go to a rich private school like Tony Abbott?
what exactly do you think should be done bro

HSC
Can't you use this line of reasoning to excuse every atrocity, ever.

Virtually all the wars, occupations, genocides, purges of the 20th century were culturally normal for a particular national culture.

Because no major discrimination occurred after 1788. If you want to find a slighted people, you're looking at still living parents/grandparents who faced horrible discrimination, so it's not really surprising that the current generation isn't functionally healthy.
in some instances yes im sure you could but in most cases, i doubt it

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Pre-agricultural desert people who were isolated from the rest of the world for 40,000 years

oh yeah nah lets just spend some more money this will fix everything

Last edited:
HSC
Not to be rascist, Because they were aboriginal they didn't do anything to them. It was a white Kid they would have pepper sprayed...etc

HSC
its in interesting concept

since white settlement, aboriginal health and education outcomes have increased exponentially

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
aboriginals on welfare should recieve X% of their money in the form of food stamps that can be used only to purchase low-carb foods
and government should subsidise kangaroo meat for them too

now that would help health outcomes

(probably not)

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
there shall be no food stamps on the abostead

A

autismsuperstar

dats racist

you can't tell them what they can and cannot spend our money on

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)