Politically Correctness (1 Viewer)

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Political correctness. What do you think of the whole idea, and do you think it's gone too far. A bit of a while ago John Howard said that schools were becoming too politically correct. Personally I get what he meant, and in a way I agree.

In a way it's important to have manners, and not be offensive, but it's spiralling out of control. In an attempt to become completely multiculutral Australia is losing it's own culture.

What do you lot think?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Your saying 2 different things there. But anyway, id hardly say Australia has made an attempt at being multicultural we ARE multicultural. We also aren't losing our own culture, multiculturalism means certain different cultures "co-exist" (i use the term loosely) in a community.

ie : the cultures dont interact whatsoover and have minimal effect on each other.

Thats how you get your Eastwoods full of noodle bars where anyone who cant speak Chinese will have problems ordering and your Fairfields where anyone of non-middle eastern appearance will have some problems getting around.

Multiculturalism is fun.

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
and then you have the rest of the country where anyone who isnt white is looked at suspiciously

Alexander

Gold Member
Two of Howard's biggest achievements have been to put Reconciliation and Multiculturalism out of the spotlight.
Im not sure if multiculturalism causes us to loose our culture, but it sure stops its development.
There are different shades of grey in political correctness. We were once pretty politically incorrect when we massacred Chinese on the goldfields, but today we seem to give up our own important mainstream celebrations (christmas, easter...) so as not to offend a minority.
I can understand what Enlightened One is saying. But this is a trend in the west...except for maybe the US.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
Originally posted by Alexander
Two of Howard's biggest achievements have been to put Reconciliation and Multiculturalism out of the spotlight.
Im not sure if multiculturalism causes us to loose our culture, but it sure stops its development.
There are different shades of grey in political correctness. We were once pretty politically incorrect when we massacred Chinese on the goldfields, but today we seem to give up our own important mainstream celebrations (christmas, easter...) so as not to offend a minority.
I can understand what Enlightened One is saying. But this is a trend in the west...except for maybe the US.
ummm...i was under the impression that most people still celebrated christmas and easter...

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Originally posted by Alexander
We were once pretty politically incorrect when we massacred Chinese on the goldfields,

massacring people isn't being politically incorrect, it's called murder you fool

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Originally posted by johnson
massacring people isn't being politically incorrect, it's called murder you fool
well it isnt very nice though is it?

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
I was refering to the way some schools banned celebrating christmas because they thought it might offend some people of muslim background who went to the school, and stuff like that, spiralling out of control.

Alexander

Gold Member
Me too.
And the massacres on the goldfield were based on politically incorrect notions of racial difference, that was kinda my point

virgin^sexy

ctn, t9
HSC
theres a school where whiteboards cant be called 'whiteboard's. they have to be called 'caucasian boards'

thats taking things a tad too far.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Originally posted by virgin^sexy
theres a school where whiteboards cant be called 'whiteboard's. they have to be called 'caucasian boards'

but.. they're... white...

that's pretty highlarious though

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Hmm so what would they call whiteout?

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC

bs. i dont believe you

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC

i don;t believe you either

Generator

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by neo_o
Your saying 2 different things there. But anyway, id hardly say Australia has made an attempt at being multicultural we ARE multicultural. We also aren't losing our own culture, multiculturalism means certain different cultures "co-exist" (i use the term loosely) in a community.

This is not a multicultural nation state... We have a number of minority groups existing under an anglo-australian administration.

Alexander

Gold Member
A little bit of politically incorrectness should be a good thing. For one we'd probably end the era of individualism & start rebuilding a sence of community.

Alexander

Gold Member
It's hard enough to develop a culture when you're on the other side of the world fromm your real home in a bizzaro-environment.
For some odd reason, theres been a trend to cut off our roots and live bereft of a real culture.
For a lot of us, our history goes back to the UK and if you're like me, can be traced back to the hundred years war. We miss out on a much larger sence of belonging when we tell ourselves that our culture begun in 1788 with a bunch of stinking convicts who might as well have been sent to mars.
If you think of an immigrant to any country, you think of someone with a very strong sense of their own history, families, customs etc. as they are surrounded in a 'place' called Australia full of sorry souls with no bearing of all these things.
I don't think im the first 'Auzzie' to feel a pull back to the motherland, where we belong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)