Politically Correctness (1 Viewer)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i like political uncorrectness

we're australian, being politically uncorrect is who we are.

Alexander

Gold Member
lol. Do u know he was a breath away from replacing Churchill as wartime PM? He was the alternative that wanted peace with the Nazis and preservation of the empire. I think that would've created a much more exciting world and political correctness would be non-existent...but NO, human rights and other such decency had to prevail.

but i suppose motherland was a bit rich. Im just a frustrated expat.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
That's your opinion Alexander, I myself wouldn't want to go anywhere else but this country, suppose it's cause I was born here.
We do have a culture, even if it did begin in 1788. But then your forgetting Aboriginals if you say that.

Alexander

Gold Member
The aboriginals have a very rich culture, and personally i wouldn't dare to offend them by adopting them as my own. We're just too different, same with the US and native americans.
It's contradictory to want to tap into aboriginal spirituality when we've been destroying it for so long.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Enlightened_One
Political correctness. What do you think of the whole idea, and do you think it's gone too far. A bit of a while ago John Howard said that schools were becoming too politically correct. Personally I get what he meant, and in a way I agree.

In a way it's important to have manners, and not be offensive, but it's spiralling out of control. In an attempt to become completely multiculutral Australia is losing it's own culture.

What do you lot think?
it depends on the school n stuff coz teachers can really reflect the values. i got to a public school but no way r we politically correct. ive never been to another skool so i dont know whether it is like this at all schiools but our teacher dont just teach they make comments about stuff and i dunno

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Alexander
lol. Do u know he was a breath away from replacing Churchill as wartime PM? He was the alternative that wanted peace with the Nazis and preservation of the empire. I think that would've created a much more exciting world and political correctness would be non-existent...but NO, human rights and other such decency had to prevail.

but i suppose motherland was a bit rich. Im just a frustrated expat.
you're suggesting it would have been a positive to appease hitler?

Alexander

Gold Member
Sorry. Old habit of sarasm. But i wont negate from the fact that it would've made the world really interesting.
when you get down to the nuts and bolts of it, WW2 was 2 massive dictators thrashing it out (hitler and stalin) and there is much more evidence that stalin was more brutal, more sencelessly evil and personally involved than hitler. It was a huge dialema for the allies to forge a pact with stalin, but they couldn't win without him...hence the cold war starting immediatly after the war...
sorry, is this off the topic?

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
now i know its a terrible thing to quantify the number of people who died under each regime and turn them into a statistic, but i do believe that ultimately, hitler was the worst of the two. stalin's purges, as well as his war against the kulaks, were terrible things and claimed too many lives to count (conservative estimates think around 20 million deaths by his hand). but the motivation for hitler i believe was much more sinister - he was killing people purely out of hatred, not for political and strategic purposes. if hitler had one WW2 and maintained power, i believe the world would be in a much worse state than what it is now, and it would definately not be "interesting," as you so eloquently put it.

Alexander

Gold Member
I know what you're saying and i dont really want to sound callous, but to me hitler was a man of the people, reflecting the general hate and bitterness of Germany. His passion won support. Hitler's motivation for war was living space for the German people, which he believed were great, and they blushed and believed him.
But stalin was this shadowy figure who emerged out of obscurity to realise he has absolute power thru the hard work of genuine revolutionaries believing in something better. Stalin left it to others to build a god-like image of himself, while he was really a "rude and evil man" as churchill put it. He worked thru the night scribbling figures in the thousands on the margins of lists of people who were to be killed, or specifying that ONE person be taken out of thie list, just to give him a sence of power. He wasn't a smart guy, an educated guy or a popular guy. He was sadistic to the extreme and decented into a depraved type of madness.
Stalin had NO mativation, killing people for NO political or strategic purpose. Too me, that is pure evil...innocent people being sent to their death or work camps. Not to mention the cold statistics that put Stalins genocide in a much higher catagory.
Plus, if Hitler had won the war early on, maybe we wouldn't have the a-bomb...a fact that has raised the stakes of any state activity.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Hitler wasn't the reason the a-bomb was created. If Japan had kept out of the war, Hitler would have conquered Europe. That would have removed the monarchy for all you republicans by the way.
Japan though attacked America and bought the yanks into the war and they created the a-bomb to stop Japan. It was Japan's fault that Germany lost (which is a good thing), and that America became involved in world war 2 and created the atom bomb.

Generator

HSC
N/A
From what I know that weapon was being developed regardless of the war against Japan...

Alexander

Gold Member
Japan increased Germany's already slim chances of taking europe. They tied up loads of resources and troops of all major countries involved. German scientists provided a huge incentive to develope the a-bomb sooner. They thought Hitler was about to.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Yeah, but America didn't enter the war until Japan attacked them. Europe was nearly lost. Then America helped them win it back, while we took care of Japan until they developed the a-bomb.

Europe would have fallen, and Hitler would have had control of it all. Japan would have been the same small island it is. We would have lost our monarch, and the yansk would have become richer from continuing unaffected, like in world war 1. It was just Japan seeing the oppurtunity to try to grab some land while everyone else was preoccupied.

I have to give the Japanese minus points for thinking though. They bought the yanks into the war, and then decided to try and conquer all of Asia and eventually Australia.
Whether or not they would have invaded Australia, I don't know, but they would have had a better time if they hadn't involved the neutral America.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Japan had been expanding its borders for some time...

'Our' monarch? We are not living in the British Isles, my enlightened friend.

Last edited:

Alexander

Gold Member
Hitler had no chance in hell of taking Russia. They also had no chance of defeating the british navy, another prereq. for invasion. Nazi victory was pure luck mostly. They hadn't planned even take France...oops
The best tool the allies had against germany was Hitler. That's why they didn't try and assasinate him, because they feared that someone with more than 2 braincells would replace him.
Japan had to go south in borneo to take the oil there and they had to deal with singapore and pearl habour to do this. They came in at the best time for Germany. But hitler declared war on the US in an act of spontinaety, even though the US had no intention of doing anything to Germany before Japan was defeated.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Acutally generator, we are still part of the Commonwealth, and we are still under the rule of the monarchy. And in the second world war we didn't have republican views, and I used the term in the retrospecitive. After all, the reason we joined the war was because our moither country needed us.

Alexander

Gold Member
*excited about reactivating republican debate*
But what about all the damn Irish in Aust.? I think the reason we joined the war was because of Menzies (dont get Asquith started on him)

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
I don't want to restart the republican debate, but i wouldn't mind if someone opened a thread on it, this place is all about debating political issues.

America has alot of Irish too, but they didn't jump into the war waving green flags. We saw ourselves as just part of the monarcy back then, and we loved England a hell of a lot more too.

Last edited:

Alexander

Gold Member
I concurr doctor. Culturally of course we identified much more with Britain and im the last one to understate the monarchy's value to us. But after ww1, New York was the new London. Europe's days were over...but yeah, cant argue that we really gave up the practical ties to britain until Singapore fell.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)