Polynomial Help! (1 Viewer)

cyndix3

HSC
Hi, having troubles solving this:

If the polynomial x³ + 3px² + 3qx + r = 0.
Show that the double roots must be (pq - r)/(2q - p²)

Thanx heaps in advance! :)

jyu

HSC
your working ok, (pq - r)/(2(q - p²))

khfreakau

HSC
Algebra might get a little ugly, but what I'd do is sub (pq-r)/(2q-p^2) as x in each equation, and show that =0. By doing that, you're "showing" that it's a root of P(x) and P'(x). To be safe, I'd also sub it into P''(x) and show that it's not a root of that to show that it's definitely a double root. A more surefire method, imo.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Algebra might get a little ugly, but what I'd do is sub (pq-r)/(2q-p^2) as x in each equation, and show that =0. By doing that, you're "showing" that it's a root of P(x) and P'(x). To be safe, I'd also sub it into P''(x) and show that it's not a root of that to show that it's definitely a double root. A more surefire method, imo.
+1

ttrinix

HSC
+1
Algebra bashing is only required if you need to "Find an expression for the double root"

HSC
Uni Grad
+1
Algebra bashing is only required if you need to "Find an expression for the double root"
lol, have fun guys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)