Polyphasic sleepers? (1 Viewer)

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Hey, are there any polyphasic sleepers on BoS? Just wondering 'cause I'm starting it now, and yeah.
Also, if you are a polyphasic sleeper, when did you start? 'Cause I'm in year 12 now, and if it's detrimental to my study :evilfire:

HSC
bad idea.

pretty much everyone who blogs their experiences with it goes back to monophasic sleeping

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Ye I realise it's not meant to be permanent, and eventually the social aspects of monophasic sleeping will prevail, but I'm not really interested in the social aspects of Year 12

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Ye I realise it's not meant to be permanent, and eventually the social aspects of monophasic sleeping will prevail, but I'm not really interested in the social aspects of Year 12
Is this working for you man?

HSC
personally i think you should try a biphasic sleep routine, which basically consists of around 4 hours of core sleep plus a 70-90 nap in the afternoon

polyphasic simply messes with your natural patterns too much, if you dont take naps between recess / lunch breaks you WILL fall asleep in class. Also if u happen to get 2 exams on the same day during ur hsc, that could be a problem

the adjustment process is a living hell, too, so id try and do that in the holidays.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
S'okay, I rarely learn anything in class :)
Except English, that's the only subject I learn stuff in.
I'm actually very curious as to how the adjustment phase feels like.
@ namu: Just started

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
A while back I tried a biphasic sleep routine where I'd sleep 5 hours from 2-7 and 1 sometimes 2 when I got home from school. Whats the big issue is that sometimes after you get back from school you don't feel tired and can't go to sleep so the whole routine is screwed.
Do you really need this polyphasic routine?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Ah... somehow I am interested in this polyphasic sleeping pattern especially the Everyman sleep pattern because my sleep pattern now is already very similar to this (I sleep like 6 hours as my core and 30 minutes every now and then)

I might try this and keep you guys informed...haha :D

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Haha, good to hear Namu :D
@ clintmyster: curiosity killed the cat.

Lori.

HSC
this is the most ridiculous idea and it would completely backfire on you; if you were to actually go through with this, you would be feeling sluggish all the time, your brain wouldn't be able to take anything in, your immune system will weaken, you'll probably gain weight, and you'll be more affected by stress.
The best way of dealing with the hsc, if it scares you this much (and it must if you're ready to mess with your body in this way), is to get yourself into the best physical and mental state you possibly can, therefore you ought to get 8 solid hours of sleep, at least 30 minutes of exercise each day, eat healthily and do something to relax and get away from it all - anything from watching tv to hanging out with friends - and don't beat yourself up over allowing yourself to 'indulge' in these kind of things.
Realistically, you're not going to spend the next year studying/stressing til 2 am then getting up at 5 so you can study/stress some more, and then continue on like that until you've driven yourself insane and totally burnt out one month in.
Just continue with your life as normally as possible, and relax - the hsc is not that bloody hard.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
this is the most ridiculous idea and it would completely backfire on you; if you were to actually go through with this, you would be feeling sluggish all the time, your brain wouldn't be able to take anything in, your immune system will weaken, you'll probably gain weight, and you'll be more affected by stress.
The best way of dealing with the hsc, if it scares you this much (and it must if you're ready to mess with your body in this way), is to get yourself into the best physical and mental state you possibly can, therefore you ought to get 8 solid hours of sleep, at least 30 minutes of exercise each day, eat healthily and do something to relax and get away from it all - anything from watching tv to hanging out with friends - and don't beat yourself up over allowing yourself to 'indulge' in these kind of things.
Realistically, you're not going to spend the next year studying/stressing til 2 am then getting up at 5 so you can study/stress some more, and then continue on like that until you've driven yourself insane and totally burnt out one month in.
Just continue with your life as normally as possible, and relax - the hsc is not that bloody hard.
Are you talking this out of experience?

I don't know. I think it is different for individuals. There ARE people who can go through this and feel really alert throughout the day.

My original sleeping pattern was already very similar to the Everyman Sleeping Pattern. I have just started that and it seems quite good actually. But that's just me and I just started this so I wouldn't know all about this in depth.

I will keep in touch with you guys whether this works or not.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
For about 2 or 3 months in year twelve (around half yearlies) i did the everyman schedule, modified to have 3 hours sleep at night and only one nap of 30 minutes when i arrived home from school.
I got HEAPS of studying done, and it was all great. But then I got the flu, my mum confiscated my study notes as she thought I was obsessive, and I saw no option other than to return to monophasic. Took about a week or so to get back into normal sleep patterns.
I am considering returning to the everyman schedule again soon though... but with the right amount of naps.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
For about 2 or 3 months in year twelve (around half yearlies) i did the everyman schedule, modified to have 3 hours sleep at night and only one nap of 30 minutes when i arrived home from school.
I got HEAPS of studying done, and it was all great. But then I got the flu, my mum confiscated my study notes as she thought I was obsessive, and I saw no option other than to return to monophasic. Took about a week or so to get back into normal sleep patterns.
I am considering returning to the everyman schedule again soon though... but with the right amount of naps.
Good to hear wixxy, interesting coming from a first hand experience(which is why I made the thread)
I'll be attempting Uberman. And maybe I should've made this clear in the original post: I'm mainly doing it out of curiosity, the extra study will be a bonus.
So Lori, I think you should maybe calm down a tad and not make judgments when you haven't experienced it yourself. Polyphasic sleepers are meant to feel as fine/better (more alert etc.) then monophasic sleepers. It isn't the quantity of sleep that matters, rather the quality. Please do research before you come in here flaming my experiment with inadequate knowledge of the topic, thanks.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Seriously, though, if you do get sick (e.g. the flu like I did) it is really important that you either revert to monophasic or make sure you get more sleep time (either increase your naps to one hour each, or make one of them a core sleep period of 3 hours like in Everyman)

HSC
Yeah, i've done this several times out of necessity, did get horribly sick from it.

HSC
hey, are there any polyphasic sleepers on bos? Just wondering 'cause i'm starting it now, and yeah.
Also, if you are a polyphasic sleeper, when did you start? 'cause i'm in year 12 now, and if it's detrimental to my study :evilfire:
go to sleep!

eriito

Elite Member
HSC
Day 1: Failed.
Too risky to try again with assessments coming up. I shall commence my transition to biphasic sleeping in the 2 week break :)

Last edited:

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I'd say that polyphasic sleep is probably not the healthiest thing to try out during the HSC.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
I'd say that polyphasic sleep is probably not the healthiest thing to try out during the HSC.
I agree with the content of this post.
Doet during holidays after HSC maybe? Or start it during the 2 weeks break coming up, that way at least you'll be used to it (mostly) by the time you go back to school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)