• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Positive Impacts of John Howard (1 Viewer)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Didnt they make the anti-terrorism laws retrospective?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Iron said:
Didnt they make the anti-terrorism laws retrospective?
AFAIK Howard was strongly against ex post facto laws even though there is no Constitutional clause to prohibit them.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
pro-war officer

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Miles Edgeworth said:
John Howard was the best PM
Miles Edgeworth said:
Miles Edgeworth said:
Miles Edgeworth said:
Miles Edgeworth said:
Miles Edgeworth said:
Miles Edgeworth said:
Miles Edgeworth said:
Miles Edgeworth said:
Miles Edgeworth said:

ftw.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
Australian politics bores me incredibly, unless its about something such as free stuff for me.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
supercalamari said:
Australian politics bores me incredibly, unless its about something such as free stuff for me.
New Zealand's worse.
In fact, I was just considering whether or not to go to the "New Zealand 2008 Elections" thread.
Then i saw the "Anti-Jokes" thread.

badquinton304

HSC
xONBROKENWINGSx said:
everything good about the economy and society before rudd got in
You have outlined an effect. What reforms did howard make to social and economic policy that logically lead to a better economy and society?

Last edited:

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
Nebuchanezzar said:
he kept interest rates low
Uh, he doesn't ask for impacts while he was just PM.

When John Howard was treasurer, interests rates were are 17%.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
blame Whitlam.
Lucky we didnt fucking sink

Is voting liberal 4 PM
HSC
Sastrawan said:

It's pretty easy to ride a boom and claim to have been an awesome economic manager, but in truth, Howard and Costello actually did very little substantial with the economy, bar introducing the GST, which, as kate tully says, was on the cards anyway. I don't particularly hate the GST, I mean... it doesn't seem that big a deal.

Most of the economic reform that allowed for the 90s economic growth was down to Keating. He floated the currency, moved towards a liberalisation of the workplace (which Howard took far too far, imho, with WorkChoices) which increased productivity, and he laid the groundwork in terms of economic relations with Asia that allowed us to benefit from China rise, which as I said was a major factor we were so prosperous during Howard's time. I'm not saying everything Keating did was perfect (lol "the recession we had to have"), but the interest rate did plunge from 18% to 5% during Keating's period. Again this is more complex, because that was largely due to the recession, so people who say that low interest rates are necessarily a good thing (Howard's PR team in the past two elections, and Rudd's in the last) are silly.
You are an absolute bafoon. Are you reading all of this from a textbook?
Because you are not taking a holistic interpretation/

IF howard did nothing in the process of liberating the Australian economy, then why does no one speak of his failures. Even workchoices wasnt a failure, Kevin Rudd still uses it to this day with his watered down "work choices" ("forward with fairness". If Howard simply did nothing and the whole economy (low inflation, low interest rates) were as a result of the "mining boom" then how come no one complains of what HE DID NOT DO to harbour this process.

You claim Keating did EVERYTHING. Did you forget that after the second world war, the british public voted out Churchill because he was not the man to rebuild britain? Keating was merely the precursor and howard the instigator to structural change within the australian economy. You sir are not 'discussing' this topic, merely arguing a single point of view. Things aren't always black and white, please keep this in mind.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Name the structural changes Howard made to the economy.
GST doesnt count.

aussie-boy

HSC
*Work choices was good because it allowed Rudd to reach a slightly more liberal stance on IR; however this moderation effect would not have occurred if Howard had won again

*The intervention; contentious; however after watching several documentaries from both perspectives, it is clear that initiatives like dry zones and income management vouchers were very effective in improving living standards

*Other than that... nothing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)