Possible Questions for King Lear (1 Viewer)

DC10

Can you guys provide some possible quesions for King lear assessment? As this module allows the task to take the form of an essay, speech, interview, article, review, report etc...... Wouldn't it be an essay-type question and then ask you to adapt it into a form of an interview?

thought it'd be a good idea to think of all the possible questions and prepare them 'in case of emergency :eek: :eek:

possible questions....
e.g.
how does readings and interpretations help you in your understanding of king lear

Alethia

hitting dead ends
HSC
I can give u some idea...

Umm..i can't remember the exact qn but it went something like...
"You are the announcer of a radio station. You will interview the directors of two different king lear plays. Write the transcript"
It went something like that...

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
This is a good idea. :) If anyone else wants essay questions for any other module/work, make a thread and I'll make it into a sticky so everyone can get them.

2001 HSC Question:

"How might different productions dramatise the struggle between chaos and order in King Lear?"

2002 HSC Question:

"Two people who value your prescribed text in different ways and for different reasons are having a conversation. Compose their conversation which should include consideration of the structure, staging, language and ideas of the text."

ETA Practise question 2001:

" 'In King Lear, the narrative and its dramatisation present a connection between sexual insubordination and anarchy, and the connection is given a clearly misogynist emphasis.'

Can this feminist criticism of the play be supposed by your study of King Lear and how might this be addressed through different productions?"

ETA Practise question 2001:

"Has your study of King Lear and its reception led you to believe that the play is essentially conservative, or does it challenge issues of power?"

DC10

Originally posted by Weisy
This is a good idea. :) If anyone else wants essay questions for any other module/work, make a thread and I'll make it into a sticky so everyone can get them.

2001 HSC Question:

"How might different productions dramatise the struggle between chaos and order in King Lear?"

mmm this question - this means that you'll have to base your esasy on 2 productions? and omit the readings/criticisms? :eek:

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
yeah, it seems that way. Take a look at the 2001 standards packages for band 5/6 answers. They seem to talk about chaos and order and how it's represented in different productions.

The better answers used hypothetical productions, based on real ones they'd seen...not just related the techniques used of stuff they'd seen.

Remember that critical study is focussed on the text and many possible interpretations - it's not just learning a set of criticisms, and hoping that the question will be about them. Neither the 2001 or 2002 papers explicitly mention criticisms. They are just there to give you an idea about some already established viewpoints/perpectives the interpretation can take.

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
could you guys do a similar thing with other texts and modules? eg. john donne and 1984 qs?
thanks

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
'King Lear is a play that explores ideas and issues that are particulary relevant for contemporary society'

Select one idea or issue which is still relevant for todays society and discuss how a production of one or two scenes from the play might represent this for contemporary audience.

This was our in class lear assessment... in this we were required to talk about aspects of production such as characterisation, lighting, music etc..... I know the direction were quite specific in telling us to use an issue, productions and refering to scenes and that the hsc most probably wont do this... but it was pretty hard talking about one idea, in a few production in 2 seperate scenes and refering to all aspects of production all in one fucking essay

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
because i didnt think the replies posted and then i ended up with 3 of the same posts and unlike some people i dont like to spam and dont want 2 posts like that on a thread cause it looks shit

ahaha ive done pretty well for myself ay... 257 posts in just a few nights.... hehe thats goodo!!!!!

hold on i think i just figured out how i can delete my own posts.. i have to do it in edit... bloody shit there should just be a delete option on the thread... hmm strange cause until this edit im doing now i never saw the "delete post" option up top... hmmm

Last edited:

captnbuttons

I know this will sound really silly but what does the ETA practise question mean? like what is ETA??... becaus ethey seem way more difficult than those put on the HSC?!?

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
eta = english teachers' association.

they'll be marking your exam :D

Smarty_pants!

Possible King Lear questions!

I adapted these questions from a study guide. The first is an alternate text form that has not been addressed much, the second is an essay.

"King Lear is a play whose full meaning can never be comprehended because different readers bring such different perspectives to the text".
Construct a debate type speach in the 'for' argument with refference to TWO critical readings of teh text.

"King Lear is a play about the generation gap, or about politics"
Examine the role of these two concepts in King Lear. In justifying your answer make reference too
TWO contrasting production of the text.

CMAC_NO1

i think we all want questions for :( king lear :(

however, it's not that simple.

look through some past HSC's and Trials.

The 2002 Catholic Trial and the 2002 BOS HSC have king lear in them, and most of them ask you essay type questions exactly as you assumed.

A creative task can also be incorporated into the question.

Common forms are a speech, an interview, etc..

ask your teacher for a discussion question on king lear. I will post a question about king lear on the msg board soon as i dont have it here at the moment.

GOOD LUCK!:D ;)

catmilat

well our teacher has not taught us any critical interpretations, he has given us a sheet on them, thats all!!!!!can u believe the guy, and then when we all complained, he justified it by saying we hadnt finished. well he siad that over a term ago and he has yet to go back over it....so now we are all f*#$ed and i have 2 teach my self from what i can get on the net. and the exams are on monday (king lear on wednesady)..we r doing the catholic ones. every1 who does catholic ones does it on same day, or amybe people in same regions (ie south syd) do it on same day..

luci321

well what i want to know is how to relate two completely different readings (family and exitential) to one another, and then incorporate two scenes with them? I think I am going to fail my exam tomorrow! I have no idea how to answer the question about chaos and order when i have productions by Richard Eyre and whatever his name is Brooks?

Smarty McSmart

KING LEAR IS RIVETING

I found King Lear really easy to understand and i love it so much.
I got 100% in my last assessment and im on my way to becoming a Nuclear Physicist for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im gonna beat that damn orange haired girl for sure!

Golly i hate her, she beat my in my Quantum Physics exam last semester!

Only by a mark though ;)

Want to know more? email me!

Huy

HSC
N/A
Module B: Critical Study of Texts

Question 4 William Shakespeare, King Lear (Catholic Trial 2001)
King Lear establishes certain values. How have these values been presented in a modern production you have seen or imagined?

Question 4 William Shakespeare, King Lear (Independent Trial 2001)
Has your study of King Lear and its reception in a range of contexts lead you to believe that the play supports or sabotages structures of power? Explain your point of view.

Question 4 William Shakespeare, King Lear (BOS sample question)
Every new reading of King Lear implies a reconsideration of the ways the audiences value the play and respond to it. Discuss this view with reference to TWO scenes from the play and how these scenes impact on the play as a whole.

Question 4 William Shakespeare, King Lear (HSC 2001)
How might different productions dramatises the struggle between chaos and order in King Lear?

Question 3 William Shakespeare, King Lear (Catholic Trial 2002)
Shakespeare has the capacity to remain our contemporary. Focus on TWO scenes from King Lear that you have found particularly involving and consider the differing ways they might be presented to achieve particular effects.

Question 3 William Shakespeare, King Lear (HSC 2002)
Two people who value your prescribed text in different ways and for different reasons are having a conversation. Compose their conversation which should include consideration of the structure, staging, language and ideas of the text.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enjoy :)

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Mine today was along the lines of "you are staging your own production of King Lear. Explain to the actors of the female characters how they are to act their parts so as to fit your interpretation of the play"

CursedBeauty

The question in my trials was we had to write a feature article (I hate them) and discuss how King Lear is able to have so many interpretations and viewpoints. We had to include the different interpretations (Marxist, Jacobean tragedy, etc) and the different productions (Brooks, Eyre and others). The question was something like that.

Oh, one advice. Always talk about the textual techniques to prove your point.

Leanne

HSC
for our trials we had to pretend that we were the director for a production of king lear from a particular reading and tell the female actors how best to protray their characters........

i had soo much fun wiv it! made it modern and the girls teenagers... goneril= rebel
regan= middle child syndrome
cordelia= daddy's little girl.....

and lear works for a toilet paper company- 'King Lear Toilet Paper- what to use after u've finished on the royal throne'

i think i went a little bit too far...well i'll have to wait until i get my results....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)