Possible Questions for King Lear (1 Viewer)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by david4444
....But we can't talk about a feminist interpretation because there have been no productions on it. All you can talk about is a feminist reaction to other productions of KL...
na, what about the bondi production, and the cut theatre production, both had feminist elements in it.:rolleyes:

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
You could argue that while there may be few specifically Feminist adaptions, elements of this reading/context are reflected in almost all recent adaptions. This is especially apparent in that much of the play's overtly misogynistic dialogue, such as that of Albany has been cut. As such, these intepretations reduce the original misogyny to an extent, and therefore the feminist reading has altered the play in adaption. (Just mention say, Brook and Elliot's adaptions as evidence.)

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
our teachers told us, no matter what the question is, put in nathum tates romantic production coz the markers LOVE it. sure its as boring as hell, but if it gets me more marks...

also, we havent been taught a thing about critics, only productions and interpretations (which are one-in-the-same right?)

Naji

In class we've just been going through various themes which apply to the play eg. order/disorder, wisdom/folly, sight/insight, natural/unnatural and then apply these themes to how different interpretations and productions would approach them... the Wizard study guide for King Lear has some pretty decent stuff in it, u might wanna check it out

onemoreyear

there are stacks of feminist performances, I can think of three of the top of my head. it is crucial to distingush that there is more than one brand of feminism. there is the feminism of critics like McLuskie who see the play of KL as reinforcing the patriarchal status quo (essentially, shakespeare himself is a misogynist) by artificially manipulating audience sympathies towards Lear. Then there is that of Dusinberre which says KL invites an overthrow of the patriarchal system by showing up Lear et al as dickheads and the daughters as repressed.

keepin_sanity

Hey guys, can someone just clear this up for me plz??? In the HSC exam, is it possible that the question will refer to SPECIFIC themes/interpretations (eg. the role of power/powerlessness; feminist view, etc) or do they tend to make it a broader question like: "Examine how different readings of King Lear emphasise the significant themes of the play"

In other words.....should I be covering ALL the possible interpretations in my study or just stick to say two or three eg. feminist, and marxist.????

This has really been stressing me out b/c if a question revolves around a specific interpretation that I havent really covered in class/study I'll be screwed!!!!

I hope you guys understand what I'm talking about, and plz put me out of my misery!!!!!!!!!!!

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The 2001 question asked specifically about the "struggle between chaos and order", so yes, it's possible.

arn_e

HSC
i dont know about the rest of you guys but im freaking out on the possibility of the HSC LEar question being one on a specific character not a main one (LEar/daughters/Gloster) but something simple like the fool...

eh i dont know.....

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by keepin_sanity
is it possible that the question will refer to SPECIFIC themes/interpretations (eg. the role of power/powerlessness; feminist view, etc) or do they tend to make it a broader question like: "Examine how different readings of King Lear emphasise the significant themes of the play"
i'v ebeen told it can't be just one. if u look deeper at chaos/order and power/powerlessness u can see that ur marxist and feminist actually fit into those categories. chaos begins when women take over, order restored with patriarchy, power in the feminist structure
Originally posted by arn_e
i dont know about the rest of you guys but im freaking out on the possibility of the HSC LEar question being one on a specific character not a main one (LEar/daughters/Gloster) but something simple like the fool...

eh i dont know.....
i dont think they can do that, it think it has to be more general, but who knows. if it's on a small character i am stuffed.

keepin_sanity

Thanks for that guys! I'm just praying that when we get in there it will be a general sort of question...*sigh*...if not I'm buggered!!!

Must go, study calls!! (hehehe!)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by keepin_sanity
Thanks for that guys! I'm just praying that when we get in there it will be a general sort of question...*sigh*...if not I'm buggered!!!

Must go, study calls!! (hehehe!)
yeah, i think it'll b that way, when u look at the trend from 2001 to 2002. :)

revoltism

I heard if u look at the Catholic Papers and Independant trials of this year for most subjects they will be similar to the actual HSC quest. we get.
Can anyone clarify this?
its just what i been hearing cause apparently the teacers doing the Questions are on the board of teachers who do the HSC qs too ???
i dunno

jgirl:).....

nah i think it can be on a small character like the fool - in fact, if u look rly deeply in 2 the character, you could rite an essay on it...wot if they asked u how ud play the fool in ur own interpretation! u gotta no stuff like that

wog10

LISTEN GUYS....

YOUSE KEEP SAYING ALL THIS INTERPRETATION AND THEME STUFF. SURE THERE IS A CHANCE. BUT HAVE YOUSE THOUGHT BOUT THE POSSIBILITY OF THIS QUESTIONS

DISCUSS THE ROLE OF THE ROOL? WHAT IS SHAKESPEARES INTENTION OF USING HIM?

HE IS NOT A 'SMALL CHARACTER' INFACT HE IS SMARTEST CHARACTER AND HE MAKES LEAR REALISE THE FOLLY OF HIS ACTIONS AND OVERCOMES HIS BLINDNESS TO THE TRUTH. THERE IS A ROLE REVERSAL WITH LEAR ACTUALLY BEING THE FOOL ("NATURAL FOOL OF FORTUNES") AND THE FOOL IS THE WISE MAN.

:)

[WILL_wang]

mate...deres no way they will juss ask abt da fool...

dey mite ask abt how lear was dramatised...but the fool..nahhhh

Nupil

HSC
N/A
Could they ask in general terms though "how have minor characters been a part of each individual reading?" ... Expecting you to chose the minor characters and be able to talk about them?

In the old english course - they used to do that ... they did with Macbeth form memory, where they asked you to choose three minor characters and how they aided the tragic demise of Macbeth himself. Could they ask you draw that similiar focus for King Lear?

special K

the fool is actually a really important character in KL... he questions lear's actions which NO OTHER CHARACTER DOES thus he dares to challenge the patriarchal society that lear rules over. "i am better than thou art now; i am a fool, thou art nothing".... studying the subplot of KL is just as important as it contains many symbollic themes such as the idea of 'nothing' and 'the full circle' to name a few....

but seriously, lets just stop torturing ourselves ... everyone's learnt different ways to approach the module so its obvious that we'll have to just cross some fingers and hope its generic

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
hey guys....

this thread has been dead for a while, but the members from the past have talked about a lot of important things. i don't know if anyone here has done Lear yet, but it is a difficult module, however, not so difficult if you don't put a stigma on it.

I've gone through this thread and copied all the questions that people posted into one Word Document... enjoy. :)

to open a potential discussion,

Is King Lear a tale which is unreleavedly pessimistic or one of humble redemption?

Last edited:

malkin86

HSC
Originally posted by ujuphleg

Is King Lear unreleavedly pessimistic or is it a tale which is universally relevant?
How do those two things - pessimistic or universally relevant - go together, at all? It sounds a bit like apples and oranges to me.. :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)