Possible Questions for King Lear (1 Viewer)

dprs

HSC
yeah, I don't see the correlation either....

also, someone posted the question:

"The fools role in King Lear is often viewed as a minor role where in fact the character has great significance to gaining greater insight into themes, perceptions and interpretations of the play. Select two speeches made by King Lears fool that reveal something about your interpretation of King Lear. Relate this to at least one theme."

Will they ask a question like this? Where they specify what sections of the TEXT we have to refer to ("select two speeches")?!?!?!? It seems a bit like we have to know the whole play word for word if they can ask questions like this.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
i apologise for the stupid question which i changed to: Is King Lear a tale which is unreleavedly pessimistic or one of humble redemption?

by this, is King Lear a story which has no hope in it whatsoever (as indicated by the Peter Brook nihilistic version) or are there traces of hope and redemption in there -- ie. Edmunds attempts to repent, Edgars final lines etc.

Originally posted by dprs

"The fools role in King Lear is often viewed as a minor role where in fact the character has great significance to gaining greater insight into themes, perceptions and interpretations of the play. Select two speeches made by King Lears fool that reveal something about your interpretation of King Lear. Relate this to at least one theme."
i don't think they would ask that question in the HSC for a couple of reasons, 1) it would be uber yucky. and its far too specific. you are right, answering that question would require in depth knowledge of 2 of the fools speeches -- and most people will only learn 2 scenes in depth, usually ones with lears speeches.

it is important to keep in mind about critical study of texts though and that knowing the text inside out, for at least part of it, complete with quotes and examples are vital.

schmackers

HSC
N/A
Just thought i'd add a few questions (these are our assessment questions):

1. Discuss the ways in which different critical readings of your text, or different productions of your text, can either clarify or challenge your own reading.

2. Evaluate two different readings of the ending of your text.

3. What reading of your text do you think most clearly demonstrates the way in which form AND/OR language contributes to textual integrity?

laracroft

'Due to the universality of its themes, King Lear is a play that offers value and meaning toa wide range of audiences in a wide range of contexts.'
Write an essay which discusses the themes of the play and how at least two productions presented these themes to their contemporary audiences.

this was from a prior HSC, and was an asssessment task question...its good as it encapsualtes a few main aspects of the text...u have to talk about the themes, the adaptations, the universality of the themes, audiences, contexts and readings....

malkin86

HSC
In what ways can KL be considered significant?

include your own response, ideas language and form create meaning, specific productions andor readings and the values which they convey.

lozlem

ive got an assessment were i am a director and i have to dcide how i would change act one scene one and put a reading to it. I'm thinking feminist any ideas??

Atotoi

Beetroot Strudel Anyone??
HSC
LEar

ahhhh yeh Lear is an interesting study... I wish i could go back to the old School Certificate days when the hardest concept we had to handle was George Orwell's "Animal Farm".

ANyways, ive got an essay to write stating that "King Lear is a play about the difficulties that exist between parents and their children".

I've got the Edmund & GLoucester part okay i think, and LEar along with his daughters three but yeh ive had trouble with the question...

Any suggestions??

I thought the Fool in the Richard Eyre appropriation (1998) was absolutely hilarious. He resembled a redfern hobo.
Except he was actually funny..

lil_miz_meeh

hey
if u were asked to take on the role of the director of King LEar, how would you present an aristotelian play? like what elements of production would be good to express this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)