Post Election Thoughts Continued (2 Viewers)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I'm glad.

How would you feel if you start up a small business, someone is a bit of a dick at work than goes out and gets one of those lawyers you see on tv. 'WE GUARENTEE YOU COMPENSATION'.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
astro said:
it's not just my school...there are other schools which have to sell parts of school property just to afford a library...
The 'reason behind the nature' of my school is the lack of funding - you think we purposely cause one of our buildings to collapse....
I am unaware of the details of the funding arrangements with your school and therefore I find the point only mildly compelling. I think your point is that your school needs more funding. Fair enough, but like I said it does not follow that we must cut funding from private schools.

astro said:
so i suppose what you're saying is, 'fuck the public education system'....
*sigh* I'm afraid, contrary to your inferences that is not what I was suggesting

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
It's sad that the optimistic, fair labor party has created such a divide while the howard government does not.

It's sad that labor supporters like lathams policy over howards, the only difference being that lathams takes money AWAY from private schools.

astro

HSC
not only my school....a lot of schools out there need funding
but do some of the richest schools in Sydney really need the 5000 seater auditoriums? Wouldn't SOME of this funding be better directed in poor public schools?
And i am not saying private schools don't deserve any at all...

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
cherryblossom said:
I did not say private ed funding should be reduced, but if there is a limited amount of money which there is, it should go to the public sector.
you have made little attempt to answer my questions.
Alrite good now we're getting somewhere. Now the revised version of your argument goes like this:

1. Government schools needs more funding.
2. The only way to obtain more funding is to cut funding from private schools.
3. Private school funding should be reduced.

I would disagree with premise 2; I think it is a matter for the government to allocate the funds and it is quite clear the money is available. It is not necessary to cut private school funding. [Incidentally because Howard was promising the same amount of money ($1 billion) as Latham, but without cutting private schools funding, it seems Latham is the one restricting the amount of money to high schools, not Howard. Otherwise Latham would have extra money to provide from the private school funding cutbacks.]

lengstar

HSC
wasn't there like a thread on like this topic already like why don't you go dig it up like now?

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
It's sad that the optimistic, fair labor party has created such a divide while the howard government does not.

It's sad that labor supporters like lathams policy over howards, the only difference being that lathams takes money AWAY from private schools.
The divide has been created by the Howard Government. Funds have been concentrated on the wealthiest of private schools, concentrating the best of resources on a small number of user pays (oh, pehaps that should be mum and dad pays) schools while leaving the rest with second rate material.

The labor party is fair. Asquithian do you still have that link that showed us how much more funding Australia's wealthiest schools have received since Howard came to power? I can't recall the exact figures for each individual school, but I remember that very many of them had received funding increases in excess of 200%. To pay for such an increase the money was taken from public schools leaving many of them in a severe state of shitness. Labor is being fair by giving us the money back and restoring equal funding to all schools.

Yup, taking money AWAY that was taken from us in the first place.

malkin86

HSC
I believe that at the next elections, there will be children in year 5 who have never had another PM but Howard. Correct me if my sums are wrong, but I find that moderately creepy.

Generator

HSC
N/A
What a thread... People, please, if you are going to discuss Labor's primary and secondary education policy, try and know what you are talking about. Anyway, I cannot see how anyone could see any of the schools on the 'hitlist' as being losers.

Medicare Gold was the first step towards reform of the Health system... In taking over the hospital care of the aged, Labor would have ironed out many of the inefficiencies evident between the state hospital and federal aged-care systems... I'm not saying that it was a fantastic policy for all, but it was far from being the winners and losers scenario that many believe.

Carrying on with Asquithian's last point... Labor promises redistribution so that life is fairer for all within a progressive system, yet the Coalition promotes freedom of choice within a deregulated system... Which one creates the losers? Oh, but under the Coalition the individual is to blame for their misfortune and so they, along with their family and associates, must suffer the consequences with minimal government assistance...

Is it that hard to accept that socially progressive policies may complement economic reform and growth?

I know that my point of view is biased, but with their being no such thing as a truly objective point of view that is of little concern. In other words, we are all biased and unlikely to change (but the arguments tend to be fun).

Enjoy the three years of the Coalition holding power in both houses (if not more within this politically apathetic country). I know that I will.

HSC
the worst thing about the election result were all the letters in the SMH on monday. all the crowing from liberal voters saying "thank god we re-elected john howard, now lets watch as bush gets re-elected just to show those damn bolshie communist god hater."

ok..... maybe i made that up, but really, there were people saying that we should abolish state govts (apparently there would be "efficiency" increases making the hospitals and schools better. sounds like a good idea...), or make voting voluntary (giving politicians the opportunity to rule an even more apathetic public).

The worst one tho, was the letter that said "This election result means that Australians have chosen to live in an economy, rather than a society".

Not a bad turn of phrase, but as a reality, how depressing.

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
i guess critical thought or even discussion evers concerns you...? probably why you do com....you have your head stuck in the sand and you are quite happy to continue that way because tackling the issue is just too hard...

i guess we should all sit back and not criticise everything...and never fight againt majority...cos you know dissent is terrible...
you criticise everything

but to be honest, yes, you're right, tackling the issues at hand is just too hard - on this forum and with people like you who's opinions will never change. Surely you realise it is not worth the effort for me to trawl through all these posts just to prove a point. I don't really care too much about you guys. I mean, I have the government that I want and you don't, why do I need to bother?

Yes great generalisation too that all com/law students have their heads stuck in the sand. Is a statement like that typical of you loose cannon labor types? ;)

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I've made the transition, people in private schools can seem like wannabe richers and weird but u get used to it.
lol we had a few sluts who got kicked out and went to private school.
yeh there was a thread on this, basically it was an abbotsleigh girl yelling insults at me and me going...OK...
I was very pissed last night, I'm sorry if I insulted anybody..like I said it's a choice...and no, not all money should go to the public sector but the vast majority of it should...because public schools, I don't know about ones in syd, but the rural ones have no other avenue of funding...I mean...raffle tickets only get you so far...
it's alright Asqy many schools are mourning right along with you....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)