Post-grad Speech Pathology? (1 Viewer)

jackiee236

HSC
I've just started my HSC course to be heading into Uni in 2014. I'm interested in Speech Pathology but am wondering what undergrad course would be the best to study to be able to study Postgrad Speech Pathology.
Any help would be appreciated :)

UncoKane

Huzzah!
HSC
Uni Grad
Anything. Possibly science since there will be a lot of science in Speech Pathology, but to do it postgrad you also need linguistics (which you could take as an elective in a B Sc).

me-mfhs

HSC
Uni Grad
Hello! I just finished my speech pathology degree 1.5 weeks ago literally hahahaha! But I came from the undergraduate degree (Bachelor/Honours) and not postgrad. Most of my peers who are doing postgraduate (Masters) did the "Bachelor of Health Science" degree previously - which is mainly at the usyd main campus and not Cumberland campus. Why not just do undergraduate straight away instead of post grad hehe? ^_^??

Regardless whether you do undergrad or post grad you'll end up learning the same thing, except Master's is done in 2 years instead of 4. To be honest, I dont think any undergraduate degree would 'help' with what you learn as I'm not sure of any degree that teaches the stuff we need to know?? Maybe try to find something that gives you the basics with anatomy, physiology and neurology (particularly head, neck, brain). I think you can learn linguistics really fast if you practice heaps.

Half of the course seems "sciencey-based" (e.g. like neurology, cranial nerves, anatomy of the head and neck, swallowing problems) and the rest of it is "Englishy" (e.g. speech, language, fluency, voice problems).
Some keywords that might help you find a course to prepare you or give you an insight into speech pathology are: phonology, semantics, syntax, morphology, dysarthria, dysphagia, apraxia of speech, stuttering, aphasia, pragmatics, phonetics, linguistics, phonological awareness.

LetterNo1

HSC
Uni Grad
Hello! I just finished my speech pathology degree 1.5 weeks ago literally hahahaha! But I came from the undergraduate degree (Bachelor/Honours) and not postgrad. Most of my peers who are doing postgraduate (Masters) did the "Bachelor of Health Science" degree previously - which is mainly at the usyd main campus and not Cumberland campus. Why not just do undergraduate straight away instead of post grad hehe? ^_^??

Regardless whether you do undergrad or post grad you'll end up learning the same thing, except Master's is done in 2 years instead of 4. To be honest, I dont think any undergraduate degree would 'help' with what you learn as I'm not sure of any degree that teaches the stuff we need to know?? Maybe try to find something that gives you the basics with anatomy, physiology and neurology (particularly head, neck, brain). I think you can learn linguistics really fast if you practice heaps.

Half of the course seems "sciencey-based" (e.g. like neurology, cranial nerves, anatomy of the head and neck, swallowing problems) and the rest of it is "Englishy" (e.g. speech, language, fluency, voice problems).
Some keywords that might help you find a course to prepare you or give you an insight into speech pathology are: phonology, semantics, syntax, morphology, dysarthria, dysphagia, apraxia of speech, stuttering, aphasia, pragmatics, phonetics, linguistics, phonological awareness.
Hi,
don't mean to hi jack the thread, but im studying B sci and was looking into the postgrad speech path. Do you have an idea of how intense it is compared to the undergrad? you said some of your peers are doing it.
Hope you can help.

Thank you in advance

madharris

HSC
N/A
Hi,
don't mean to hi jack the thread, but im studying B sci and was looking into the postgrad speech path. Do you have an idea of how intense it is compared to the undergrad? you said some of your peers are doing it.
Hope you can help.

Thank you in advance
I've heard it's pretty intense as you're essentially cramming 4 years worth of content into 2. I know quite a few people doing post grad health science degrees who do quite a significant amount of hours of study outside of uni.

LetterNo1

HSC
Uni Grad
I've heard it's pretty intense as you're essentially cramming 4 years worth of content into 2. I know quite a few people doing post grad health science degrees who do quite a significant amount of hours of study outside of uni.
4 years worth in two? from what i read i thought you still only do 24 credit points per semester...so they have trouble with it? (the study load)
Can you by any chance do it part time?

madharris

HSC
N/A
4 years worth in two? from what i read i thought you still only do 24 credit points per semester...so they have trouble with it? (the study load)
Can you by any chance do it part time?
yeah you still only do 24, but I think they stuff the subjects with as much content as possible - at least from what I've heard
I Don't think the study is troublesome, I think that there's just a lot of it.

Yeah you can do it part time

Last edited:

LetterNo1

HSC
Uni Grad
yeah you still only do 24, but I think they stuff the subjects with as much content as possible - at least from what I've heard
I Don't think the study is troublesome, I think that there's just a lot of it.

Yeah you can do it part time

Thank you!

I think i would like to study it once i graduate :)

me-mfhs

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey :)! I'm not really sure hwo they feel about it but it's true that you sort of cram the 4 years into 2 years hahaha. Also, they 'throw' you into clinical placements whereas if you do bachelor's they sort of hold your hand when you start loool!
But don't worry you'll be fine cuz there's alot of master students I heard now :)!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)