Post Your 2017 University Offers Here (1 Viewer)

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad
I got offers for combined actuarial studies at unsw and macquarie and ended up choosing applied finance and actuarial studies at mq

cormacshaw

HSC
N/A
Well I was hoping for Eng (Hons) + Med Sci at USYD, ended up getting Med Sci at UNSW instead Feb Round 1. Going to try for Eng in Round 2 as there's still vacancies.

In the meantime...MedSci at USYD (currently enrolled) or UNSW (offered). Hmmmmm.....

sea-r-du

HSC
N/A
Main Rounds: Bachelor of Science, Usyd
February Round 1: Bachelor of Design Computing, Usyd

sea-r-du

HSC
N/A
Well I was hoping for Eng (Hons) + Med Sci at USYD, ended up getting Med Sci at UNSW instead Feb Round 1. Going to try for Eng in Round 2 as there's still vacancies.

In the meantime...MedSci at USYD (currently enrolled) or UNSW (offered). Hmmmmm.....
Just checked, it's a bit odd that you've didn't receive an offer for the first one, Eng/Med Sci and Med Sci are currently the same cutoff, but still have vacancies, yet you got into Med Sci but not Eng/Med Sci?

For me, i've got to decide which suits bests for me within 10 days, Science (statistics major) or Design Computing (UI/UX stuff).

Last edited:

sida1049

HSC
Just checked, it's a bit odd that you've didn't receive an offer for the first one, Eng/Med Sci and Med Sci are currently the same cutoff, but still have vacancies, yet you got into Med Sci but not Eng/Med Sci?

For me, i've got to decide which suits bests for me within 10 days, Science (statistics major) or Design Computing (UI/UX stuff).
If you're interested in software design, it's worth noting that you can do a B. Science and major in statistics and computer science. I don't know much about Design Computing, but computer science units include Graphics and Multimedia, Human-Computer Interaction, and Design and Analysis, which sounds somewhat relevant. It's probably more technical than Design Computing, but if it interests you, double majoring in Science is always an option.

cormacshaw

HSC
N/A
Exactly what I thought when the offers came out, still miffed about it, especially when USYD Eng/MedSci still has vacancies for Round 2! :S

sea-r-du

HSC
N/A
If you're interested in software design, it's worth noting that you can do a B. Science and major in statistics and computer science. I don't know much about Design Computing, but computer science units include Graphics and Multimedia, Human-Computer Interaction, and Design and Analysis, which sounds somewhat relevant. It's probably more technical than Design Computing, but if it interests you, double majoring in Science is always an option.
I know, that dilemma...

So what I was thinking is that I will go on campus sometime this week and check out the Wilkinson building, see what's its like and have to offer! :) I did thought about doing Computer Science while I was in Year 10 and 11, but checking that it involves really technical topics like assembly, electrical engineering related topics and essential topic like Data Structures, which I'm very weak at, it really wasn't for me. Really the only topics that interest me in Computer Science is HCI as you've listed lol.

I'll have a think about it

sida1049

HSC
I know, that dilemma...

So what I was thinking is that I will go on campus sometime this week and check out the Wilkinson building, see what's its like and have to offer! :) I did thought about doing Computer Science while I was in Year 10 and 11, but checking that it involves really technical topics like assembly, electrical engineering related topics and essential topic like Data Structures, which I'm very weak at, it really wasn't for me. Really the only topics that interest me in Computer Science is HCI as you've listed lol.

I'll have a think about it
If you're going to check out the Wilkinson Building, make sure you check out the IT building as well (it's near the Seymour Centre, which is near the Wilkinson Building I believe); it looks and feels really neat!

With regards to a computer science major, you have a good degree of choice in your units, so if you don't like the more technical topics that slightly border on electrical engineering or assembly, you don't have to do them! Most of a computer science major is learning how to code, then learning more abstract and advanced applications of coding, such as databases, operating systems, and even artificial intelligence. (In my opinion, INFO1105 Data Structures is an important unit to take; it's fascinating and useful.)

Also, most people don't know this but USYD doesn't recognise minors... except IT. You can do a minor in IT. The advantage here is that while a major requires 24 senior credit points (and typically at least 24 junior and intermediate credit points), the minor requires only 18 credit points (3 units) of intermediate and senior credit points (i.e. if you really want, 3 intermediate units are sufficient). This way, you can take the bare minimum computer science/IT units that relate to the skills of your interest.

Last edited:

sea-r-du

HSC
N/A
If you're going to check out the Wilkinson Building, make sure you check out the IT building as well (it's near the Seymour Centre, which is near the Wilkinson Building I believe); it looks and feels really neat!

With regards to a computer science major, you have a good degree of choice in your units, so if you don't like the more technical topics that slightly border on electrical engineering or assembly, you don't have to do them! Most of a computer science major is learning how to code, then learning more abstract and advanced applications of coding, such as databases, operating systems, and even artificial intelligence. (In my opinion, INFO1105 Data Structures is an important unit to take; it's fascinating and useful.)

Also, most people don't know this but USYD doesn't recognise minors... except IT. You can do a minor in IT. The advantage here is that while a major requires 24 senior credit points (and typically at least 24 junior and intermediate credit points), the minor requires only 18 credit points (3 units) of intermediate and senior credit points (i.e. if you really want, 3 intermediate units are sufficient). This way, you can take the bare minimum computer science/IT units that relate to the skills of your interest.
Thanks for your input! :)

So as I've said I'm very weak at Data Structures (I've tried many times learning Linked Lists, I understand the concept and analogy of it but when it comes to coding, I can't digest anything), so I don't think I'll go pass it, I even struggle with strings lol... It's odd that I like coding with mathematical programming packages like R, MATLAB and Mathematica, but struggle with real comp languages like C, C++ or Java.

But aside from that, I did check out the Design Computing program, you can *kinda* minor in Business Information Systems (not an official minor as you've said, but you can take 24 units of credit of INFS units such that it can technically be counted as one), which I'd consider doing.

I don't know at this stage, both are really good degrees.

Last edited:

sida1049

HSC
Thanks for your input! :)

So as I've said I'm very weak at Data Structures (I've tried many times learning Linked Lists, I understand the concept and analogy of it but when it comes to coding, I can't digest anything), so I don't think I'll go pass it, I even struggle with strings lol... It's odd that I like coding with mathematical programming packages like R, MATLAB and Mathematica, but struggle with real comp languages like C, C++ or Java.

But aside from that, I did check out the Design Computing program, you can *kinda* minor in Business Information Systems (not an official minor as you've said, but you can take 24 units of credit of INFS units such that it can technically be counted as one), which I'd consider doing.

I don't know at this stage, both are really good degrees.
Honestly, studying on your own is completely different to studying in a lecture, or in a computer lab, where lecturers and tutors can help you, along with other students.

I empathise with your concern though; I'm not much of a programming/computer science guy myself, but I took computer science electives anyway to complete a B. Science requirement because knowing how to program is a sought-after skill in many professions. Honestly, I was not looking forward to INFO1105 Data Structures at all; I did alright in INFO1103 the previous semester (81), but wasn't really thrilled by it. But about a couple of weeks into it, I realised that I actually really enjoyed the unit; unlike INFO1103 (which was purely learning how to program), it went into some really interesting, abstract concepts.

Same with you, I understood the basic concept in a form of an analogy or another, but getting the structure down in code was something that scared me. I dedicated time to do the weekly readings, but I struggled because although the textbook has pages and pages of continuous code, all of it went right over my head. However, in the tutorials and assessments, they don't really get you to write out structures (thank god!); instead, the focus is on using and manipulating the pre-existing structures, which wasn't actually that difficult once you play around with it and get a sense of how the data moves through the structures. And surprisingly enough, I found this unit a lot more enjoyable, and perhaps even more accommodating than the introductory unit INFO1103. (I ended up getting 93 in INFO1105.)

So if someone like me, who have practically zero experience in coding before uni, can do just fine in those programming units, so can you.

But either way, I'm sure both degrees are good, and can get you into the career you want.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

sea-r-du

HSC
N/A
Feb Round 2: Bachelor of Commerce, Macquarie University

Probably not going to accept tbh.

ischolar

HSC
UNSW PhD in Science. Now waiting for scholarship outcomes. Anyone else walking down the same track..

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad
Wait your doing a phd and you did ur hsc in 2015? Are you a genius or am I delusional?

si2136

HSC
N/A
Wait your doing a phd and you did ur hsc in 2015? Are you a genius or am I delusional?
I don't think anyone's bothered to change their HSC date, or either they're just faking it like the most of us.

ischolar

HSC
lol.. No, I am no genius. sorry but it was unintentional.. I just registered today and did not fill the details properly.. My HSC goes way back in 2005. I had a bachelors, a masters and around 3 years of work experience afterwards.. I hope this make sense now and brings me back among ordinary people..

D94

HSC
N/A
UNSW PhD in Science. Now waiting for scholarship outcomes. Anyone else walking down the same track..
Almost, but the post-PhD opportunities were quite slim in engineering so I rescinded my application (had a supervisor and the scholarship was easy to obtain in engineering - less competitive).

Good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)