Carlz135

HSC
we are doing Calvino too...but not yet. As well as:
Possession
FLW
Dead White Males
Orlando

the questions

Lolliana, MIke, I would love to share your notes!
However I dont have a great deal at the moment, i do have some helpful stuff on Orlando though, I would be happy to send!

AND

Does anyone have any ideas for postmodern supplimentry texts.
I have a few but have got myself rather confused about it. Any ideas?

the questions

GLoria!!! I was wondering if you could recomend any texts that would help me with postmodernism, it seems that you are well read, well I am asuming that. Any help would be much appreciated!

fingolfin101

I recently saw kill bill 2 and i'd highly recommend it as a postmodern text... I'm hoping it will come out on DVd so i can do more stuff with it, but
I used Mulholland Drive for one of my exams as related material.

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
on supp texts--

have any of you read linda hutcheons A Poetics of Postmodernism ? if you haven't, I seriously suggest you ask your teacher to get ahold of it for you, or get a copy yourself. Not only does it give you the actual CONCEPTS (not techniques and shit) of postmodernism that all you tards will be lacking in, but every couple of pages (particularly in the first few chapters) there is a rundown of a 'postmodernist' text saying what the text is (whether film or novel) and why it's postmodernist and how it uses postmodern technique/concept etc. If you want the highest possible results, you will go through the book and find these examples, you will copy them out over and over again until you memorise them, and then you will encorporate them into your essays along with your own supp texts and the prescribed. It's unethical but the way I see it, it's the same learning method that highschool employs anyway; take advantage of it and use it to help you understand postmodernism and ace the topic at the same time. (I used at least three texts from the aforementioned book, simply one medium to long paragraph on each alongside my own chosen supp texts and the prescribed and I got full marks.) The book also has a lot if in-depth discussion of FLW if anyone needs more info on that.

Kill Bill would be good because you could do a number of controversial readings (particularly in relation to gender and culture) and postmodernism sits well with controversy.

if anyone would like my copy of hutcheon's text (because they can't get a hold of their own) just email me mercy@commoror.net
it has nice pink highlighter over all the important bits and, like I said, it really drills into you the concept (problematizing of history etc) above everything else, which is what the teachers of postmodernism fail to accurately and fluently teach and what the students don't know to look for.

derrida

Old Hack
HSC
hey

i have some questions..... about..... me (derrida)

Ok....

The syllabus says talk about some theorists or know them or whateva.... well ...... how the fuck do we talk about derrida?

Ive read Of Grammatology cover to cover and i know all about derrida.... but he just seems so built in to the english syllabus u know? Like in how we look for gaps in texts, how we find alternative readings, ie the whole idea of deconstruction is basicly what the english advanced/standard syllabus is trying to get us to do.

I guess i could talk about how he has changed the whole way we confront a text. But the thing is, talked about in this way, it seems derrida's significance is only historical, u know? Cause deconstruction in my mind is the freaking syllabus! So we cant exactly write an essay with a Derridean slant, like we can with a Jamesonian or Baudrillardian slant. A derridean slant would be like what most good essays take.

Dont get my wrong i probably know more about derrida then everyone here, ive been into him since year 10, and hes my fav philosopher along with sartre. But i have no idea how to intergrate his theories or what ever into an essay........ Like where is derrida's significance outside of a historical view, that i can communicate in an essay??

anyway

Peace Love and Deconstruction

Derrida

Carlz135

HSC
Muholland Dr is on Movie One Tonight on Foxtel for anyone that is interested, 10.10pm i think. Even if you dont buy Movies Plus Package you have the channel bcoz of the special deal this weekend.
i'm gunna tape it eh!

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
i'm not using any david lynch films purely because i think he's a pretentious wanker

has anyone else had the 'click' in pomo? because i was dumb and not getting it for like 2 terms and now it's clicked into place and i'm loving it.

ps. how funny is dead white males! : )

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by AsyLum
Being John Malkovich -awesome
Adaptation -awesome
The Unbearable Lightness of Being -havent seen
Momento -awesome
Pulp Fiction -awesome
Go -a little easy
Moulin Rouge -i wouldnt class it postmodern really
The Truman Show -post modern in a sense not really though
Mulholland Drive (and other David Lynch's films) -good
Three Colours - Blue, White, Red<havent seen
Run Lola Run -havent seen
Natural Born Killers -hmm not really...

other ones i can suggest:
Shrek
Usual Suspects
Fight Club
American Beauty
Originally posted by the questions
Lolliana, MIke, I would love to share your notes!
However I dont have a great deal at the moment, i do have some helpful stuff on Orlando though, I would be happy to send!

AND

Does anyone have any ideas for postmodern supplimentry texts.
I have a few but have got myself rather confused about it. Any ideas?
Originally posted by glycerine
i'm not using any david lynch films purely because i think he's a pretentious wanker

has anyone else had the 'click' in pomo? because i was dumb and not getting it for like 2 terms and now it's clicked into place and i'm loving it.

ps. how funny is dead white males! : )
rofl!!

see DWM is a bloody awesome text, not many like it though...

...and you never really "click" with postmodernism...cos god forbid that would be generalising and exasperating a perspective which is quite unequivocally improper.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
dwm is sooo hilarious! it's really funny though, i was dying of laughter and reading out bits to people (not in my ext1 class) and they just stared at me and i was like "i guess you have to have been swallowing this wank for the last 6 months to find it funny..."

i did my major portfolio for ext1 today... it was really weird, i never even finished possession and could write about it easily, i've seen orlando like 6 times and couldn't do anything with it. :p

roopa

hihihi....i have looked everywhere on stuff about calvino's "the castle of crossed destinies"....but all i can find are bibliographies...so if u had any notes or any pointers for this text could u pleeeeeeeeeeeeease send them to me....much thanx

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
does anyone have a list of the main theorists and what their main philosophies were? i got heaps on existentialists but thats only good for flw.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
i'll post up for you the development of pomo thought. its a list of the theorists and their developing ideas: NOTE: NOT all of these theorists are POSMODERNISTS

1)Ferdinand De Saussure linked meaning and language to culture and context. proposed that sounds have meaning only because we ascribe a meaning to them in our culture. This has lead to the idea of Binary Opposites (the idea that we understand a word or concept becuase of its relationship with or oppositin to another word or concept

2)Roland Barthes Developed on the works of Saussure. Developed what is known as Reader Response Criticism: If language has meaning only in a specific context, then meaning will be crated by the responder NOT the composer. In other words, the author is dead.

3)Jacques Derrida Further developed works of Saussure & Barthes. Deconstruction Theory: the idea that a text is understood in relation to meanings created in other text (Intertextuality) and therefore, to understand a text we must deconstruct the assumptions and ideas that lie beneath it

4)Michel Foucault Developed on Derrida. Believed that cultural assumptions (about class, gender etc) were societal constructs but often accepted as immutable truth. this, he said, led to institutionalised power for some groups in society.

5) Lyotard Worked on ideas of cultural myths. Proposed that nothing is true, and that the things we believe to be true are transient myths that will pass in time.

6) Jean Baudrillard Challenged the idea of reality. Believed that reality no longer exists but is lost in simulated images. termed this "Simulacrum" (the hyper real) in short, the term Simulacrum refers to the blurring between boundaries.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
wow! what a coincidence!! here i was thinking sarah is smart she thought of that all by herself until i read it straight from Routy's notes.. turns out sarah doesnt have her own brain to think of her own definitions :rolleyes:

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
hahaha ur funny :p.. but it turns out im not the one spouting someone elses notes as my own.................

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)