Powerplay - Julius Caesar (1 Viewer)

FadeToBlack

lonely sunday friend
HSC
I'm kind of lost when it comes to powerplay, in terms of what in particular to study, how to structure an essay, and so on.
Does anyone have any powerplay essays they might have done, that they could send/post up? I could even trade other notes, if you're that way inclined ;)

We have to Evaluate and show understanding of the relationship between representation and meaning.
Now i take that to mean they want us to show how powerplay, powerplayers etc are represented by the author, and how this representation conveys meaning to us. Would you consider this correct?
And then, another dot point is Explain and evaluate how media of production and other aspects of texts shape meaning and influence response.
This, to me, means we must explain how form and technique are used to represent powerplay, powerplayers and such in this way, thus conveying the meaning through representation. Like a chain: techniques/form>representation of powerplay>meaning.

If we show all these elements, along with explaining the concept of "representation", and the concept of "powerplay", and fitting the response to the question of course, do you reckon thats what they want?

I typed this all up without reading it over again, so hopefully everything makes sense.

mememe

woah that's a pretty good explanation from someone who is not quite sure. i hate the topic, it seems so simple but when u try and write an essay on it its impossible to know what they want! its my worst topic. i think you've got it though, u just write about the techniques used to represent meaning about powerplay.

FadeToBlack

lonely sunday friend
HSC
Its my worst topic too, probably because i never even picked up Julius Caesar, didnt even know the basic plot for the trial =\

I kind of just extracted my previous deductions from looking at the dot points for Representation and Text

thanks for the reply mememe

tempco

HSC
Originally posted by FadeToBlack

We have to Explain and evaluate how media of production and other aspects of texts shape meaning and influence response.
This, to me, means we must explain how form and technique are used to represent powerplay, powerplayers and such in this way, thus conveying the meaning through representation. Like a chain: techniques/form>representation of powerplay>meaning.
I'm quite unsure regarding that issue... I've compiled a list (rather small one...) of techniques used by Shakespeare in Julius Caesar, eg. Use of weather, language techniques used by Mark Antony and Brutus during their orations (If anyone has any more techniques they would like to add, please feel free to do so :D). But you mentioned form as well. I suppose that has to do with it being a play, and that we should examine the conventions of the text type and isolate what was used to convey the particular aspects of powerplay. I can't even think of something right now... help?

Thanks.

tempco

HSC
And I'm curious reagarding another aspect of techniques... in the actual orations, there a few techniques that could be mentioned.. I know a few, and if anyone could add to what I already know, I would really appreciate it.

Mark Antony
- Speaks in free verse (addressing Roman mob as equals)
- Rhetoric
- Repetition (Honorable)
- Emotive language

Brutus
- Speaks in prose (suggests that he is above the crowd)
- Tone of authority

(Yeh.. that's all I know for Brutus)

So, any contributions?

Last edited:

2late

Brutus also speaks to the mob in a way where he deems them as his intellectual equals - technique called?

Different ways in which power is represented
-military
-political
-oratory

Azn fairies

err... my teacher told me that brutues spoke in prose becasue he is trying to be equal to the mob, not better .
also antony speaks like poetry to show his control and authority.

hope my teacher is right:p

tempco

HSC
Yes, Brutus spoke in prose to be on the same level as the mob. This suggests that he assumed he was on a higher position than the mob in the first place. Hope that made sense.

I might by wrong though >_>

Last edited:

Azn fairies

umm.. yeah i get ur drift .but u can slo say that, he spoke in prose too contrast to his lost in power and confidence and forecast to his downfall..and the power he lacks in ortaoray skills compared to antony..therefore he speaks like the "common people"

tempco

HSC
Well, then you have to consider whether he is capable of speaking in free verse or not... I don't think he was a bad speaker... He just focused on his ideals and reasonings, while Antony had focused on the crowd's emotions and their materialism (Caesar's will). Maybe he was too naive, thinking that the crowd would accept his reasoning... ? Antony also made no attempt to hide his feelings.. his sorrow was reflected in his oratory, swaying the emotions of the crowd along with it. Brutus was a lot more formal... I guess you could bring in his Stoic beliefs (basically accepting things without showing emotion, eg. the death of Portia.. he didn't show much emotion)... his speech was plain and simple.

Last edited:

ssj_goku

Does anyone know wether or not examining powerplay between author and audience is looked favourably on, or even relevant? :)

Blondie

Originally posted by NekkidSerpent
Antony also made no attempt to hide his feelings.. his sorrow was reflected in his oratory, swaying the emotions of the crowd along with it.

u forget that Antony used caesar's body as a visual prop to demonstarte tot he crowd how fickle they are in accepting Brutus' word at face value.

u guys dont like this module eh?
i didnt read the text at all, i just listened in class and took note of all the crap they talked about, and its my best module!

tempco

HSC
Ah... that's right.. totally forgot about that ^^U

Maybe it shows how easily the crowd is affected by they're emotions? If I saw a body full of holes, I'd be "affected"...

braindead

HSC
i think antony also used flattery, which the mob arnt used to, or is that not classified as a techniqe?

tempco

HSC
Yep.. flattery was a part of it.. That's what I'm referring to with him using free verse.. he acknowledges their intelligence, but most of them are mindless sheep.

He also says "You are not wood, you are not stones, but men". Guess that could be considered as flattery.. I think.

Not sure if it's a technique or not though.

braindead

HSC
they also used theatrical devices, irony, juxtaposition of words, parrallel phrasing, figurative lang - metaphor

braindead

HSC
nekkidserpent r u from 11AG or 11AB.
get ur own supp text, dont use the ones provided from the skool
ull be marked reeeeeeeeel low, 'ur own choosing' SPECIFIC REQUIREMENT.
im tryn to find a new supp text rite now - I'm completely losing it !!!!

tempco

HSC
Originally posted by braindead
they also used theatrical devices, irony, juxtaposition of words, parrallel phrasing, figurative lang - metaphor
Theatrical devices -> Caesar's body
Irony -> "Honorable men"
Juxtaposition of words/parallel phrasing -> :confused:
Fig Lang/Metaphor -> Could probably find one if I tried. If you have an example, would you mind posting it? :D

Are any of them incorrect?

braindead: Check your PMs.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)