Powerplay Texts (1 Viewer)

monaro-man

Ramen Raider
HSC
Komaticom said:
Try "Changing Lanes" and "Phone Booth."

Apparently my teacher advised not to use low-intellect texts like "Dude Where's My Car", "Crossroads", " Dumb and Dumber" because they provide the examiner with the notion that you're a moron, uncapable of finding and analysing decent texts. She confessed that examiners do have prejudices towards those who choose those kinds of texts.

*does mannerism*
well, would you describe "The Lion King" as a low intellect movie? If so, i'm screwed (according to you).

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
I used a book (The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier) and a newspaper article (I recall it was something about George Bush) when I did my HSC back in 2001 *memories*

I've heard that Cruel Intentions is a rather good supp. for powerplay.

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
hmm, i'm using The Firm as one of my texts, and i have 2 more but i don't know which one to do, and i'm too lazy to study 3 Supp texts.
there's a poem by Robert Browning called My Last Duchess and i got a newspaper article from the sydney morning herald about RFID chips and how they're recording what people buy.
would the browning poem be more appealing to the markers because it's classical literature?

lalaynie

we did animal farm... its good cos we've prolly had to watch it about ten times so we all remember it... and we have seen it in year 10 but if u get something that you know back to front, you can even use the same texts, a few of my friends used the handmaids tale for journeys and powerplay.. cos theyll be marked separately so no one wil ever no! mwohaha!

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
The BBC mini series "The house of Cards"

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
monaro-man said:
well, would you describe "The Lion King" as a low intellect movie? If so, i'm screwed (according to you).
Monaro Man- do u have any notes on The Lion King that i can have a look at...

Currently, i am using "The Interview" (A film) and "The Flea" (by John Donne) as my related texts...

Also, for all u people with only one related text....for gods sake MAKE SURE YOU HAVE TWO!!!!

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest!!

It's a movie, so it's easay, and it's soooo powerplay

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
a few posts earlier about doing "music" - ummm... coming from a music EXTENSION background... no... if you do a wonderful musical course and do lyrics for your extra text it would not benefit you. Why - its an english course. Yes the 5ths make it sound powerful... umm... because that's a literary technique...

Concentrate on the lyrics if anything. Treat the lyrics like poetry, eg extended metaphors etc. But if you're going to do that, might as well do some poem rather than posting a sign on your exam paper saying "don't give me too many marks" because lyrics implies a frenzied attempt of trying to get an extra text in the last minute...

oh. and HI TOWNIE!!!

boz

CEO
HSC
Sset561986 said:
My teacher said Elizabeth would be perfect but because it is a prescribed text for extention it might be risky using it in hsc exams
My teacher told me that too ( wrote it in big red letters on one of my assesment tasks) so im doing "elizebeth r", the bbc mini series. Basically identical.

Write "not allowed" on my paper (shaking fist)
Yeah whos doing it now.

Simmey

HSC
Elizabeth?

I'm using the Cate Blachett version of Elizabeth....our teacher said that it was ok to use, about 1/3 of my class was using it.
I hope its not grey area, the last thing i want is an over zealous examiner who thinks i'm trying to freeload off extension!

Anything from Yes Minister is supposed to be ok

rebooki

HSC
N/A
im using the Shakur Kapur version with Cate Blanchett and for A+c its perfect... but we're only doing a 20 minute section which shows her goin from no power and claiming the throne...
film techniques like the colour of costumes in relation to the context of images...
the lighting and facial features and stature of characters etc....
if u can bear watch "once were warriors" its an awesome text to use

greenyeah31

HSC
hey, we're looking for related powerplay texts for 1984 and was wondering if you knew any good ones?? peace out

lynchenator

HSC
As an art student i could not go past Francisco de Goya's work entitled "The Third of May 1808" for a related text...

look it up, its a good one

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)