• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Practical examination (1 Viewer)

chiseen

HSC
Hi, I have practical exam and I have to fulfil this dot point:
- perform an investigation to examine plant shoots and leaves and gather first-hand information of evidence of pathogens and insect pests.

At the moment i have only found information of these;
- blight
- leaf curl
- powdery mildew
- black spot
- rusting

Are there any other possible diseases I should research to prepare myself for the practical? Any help will be greatly apperciated

Last edited:

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
-Fungal
Rust disease
Potato blight
dutch elm disease
chustnut blight
ergot

-Viriods
potato spindle-tuber diesase

Tim035

HSC
Here are my summary notes:
PLANT DISEASES
Major cause- Fungi
Also however infected by bacteria, viruses & Protazoans.
Insect pests are a major cause of plant disease, they can eat leaves, suck the sap from the plant or suck nutrients and water from the roots of the plant.
Symptons:
Blight- Discolouration of almost any plart of the plant, tissue death common at site of discolouration. Caused by an array of micro organisms.

Canker- The lesion on the trunk is extremely deep and extends well into the pith. Tissue damage disrupts cambien bundles.

Damping off- Less root density, chlorosis colouring of the plant. It is the collapse & rottening of seedlings by funi.

Dieback- Death of large parts of the plant, twig & branch death and partial defoliation. In Australia widespread dieback in native plants has been caused by mould.

Gall- Tumourous like appearance, caused by excess mitosis, causes problems with osmosis. Abnormal growth or swelling produced by pathogenic invasion.

Mosaic- Patchy variation of normal green colour in leaves, usually light and dark green mosaic. Symptomatic of viral infection, big problem in Tobbaco plants and sugar cane.

Powdery Mildew- A nest of fine fillament on the leaf surface. White powdery bloom on the plants surface caused by a fungus.

Rust- Rust coloured pustules formed by rust fungi.

Rot- Disintegration of tissues often caused by enzymes or toxins produced by enzymes in fungi.

Nutritional deffiencies- Plants can suffer from Potassium and nitrogen defficency.

Soz for all the spelling mistakes, I decided to type them out instead of copy and pasting them as a way of revising them quickly.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)