• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Predictions for Chemistry 2014 HSC? (2 Viewers)

GOsie

HSC
A. Bcoz side with more moles = more collisions = greater rate .
I would have thought B, because if equilibrium position is shifted to the RHS, more 'C' is forming which I think is shown in answer B

iStudent

HSC
A
rate of forward reaction is greater than rate of reverse reaction at any moment. Only A satisfies this condition.

QZP

HSC
I would have thought B, because if equilibrium position is shifted to the RHS, more 'C' is forming which I think is shown in answer B
Nope. If its shifting to the right that means rate of forward > rate of backwards. Hence A

GOsie

HSC
Nope. If its shifting to the right that means rate of forward > rate of backwards. Hence A
it doesn't necessarily start in the middle does it? In (A) the rate of the forward reaction gets slower. In (B) the rate of the forward reaction gets faster. Or is this still wrong?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Hahaha fuck didn't even look at the equations on the graph properly, you are right.
Reactants would be increasing and products would be decreasing.

GOsie

HSC
it doesn't necessarily start in the middle does it? In (A) the rate of the forward reaction gets slower. In (B) the rate of the forward reaction gets faster. Or is this still wrong?
Nvm I realised what I did wrong. I think I get it now. Thanks :)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
The hydronium ion is a strong acid, wouldn't it's conjugate base be OH-? (not sure, but it's the option I'd choose)
Conjugate acids and bases really is a concept resulted from the Bronsted Lowry theory of classifying acids as proton donors and base as proton acceptors, as such, under this definition, acids and their corresponding conjugate bases often differ by a H+ proton, and thus, by this logic, conjugate base of hydronium ion would be water. Usually, the conjugate base of a strong acid is a weak base, and 0H- is a very strong base, so it would be highly unusual for it to be a conjugate base of a strong acid (I don't really think it is possible either).

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
What's not balanced in the equation?
Notice there are 4 oxygen ions in the left hand side, but only 3 on the right hand side.

Just in case some people may have missed my thread, I have posted a full trial HSC chemistry paper on this thread-the answers are also on this thread-these questions represents some of my predictions of potential HSC questions this year. So if you are bored of doing past papers and would like a challenge, feel free to download the paper and have a go under timed exam conditions:)

http://community.boredofstudies.org...a-library-hsc-chemistry-trial-discussion.html

HSC
N/A
Notice there are 4 oxygen ions in the left hand side, but only 3 on the right hand side.

Just in case some people may have missed my thread, I have posted a full trial HSC chemistry paper on this thread-the answers are also on this thread-these questions represents some of my predictions of potential HSC questions this year. So if you are bored of doing past papers and would like a challenge, feel free to download the paper and have a go under timed exam conditions:)

http://community.boredofstudies.org...a-library-hsc-chemistry-trial-discussion.html
I looked at your paper. You posted your answer to question 4 as D. Shouldn't it be B? In fact, I'm certain that it should be B. D accounts for sulfate only, whereas the question is asking "What mass of barium sulfate precipitate would be expected to be formed.."

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)