• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Predictions for Modern? (10 Viewers)

la_sportive

HSC
It's just harder to do a nuanced argument for like occupation like "Whilst occupation was often initially seen as liberation from Allied colonial dominion, Japanese brutality overall detrimentally impacted civilians in SEA, as evidenced by the incidences of guerilla warfare, social issues, etc." it's just boring IMO

Whereas you can do a range of interesting arguments for course of conflict

Reactions: bcv

bcv

HSC
It's just harder to do a nuanced argument for like occupation like "Whilst occupation was often initially seen as liberation from Allied colonial dominion, Japanese brutality overall detrimentally impacted civilians in SEA, as evidenced by the incidences of guerilla warfare, social issues, etc." it's just boring IMO

Whereas you can do a range of interesting arguments for course of conflict
yeah i agree, i would honestly love a battle question or allied strategies one

HSC
Is it possible they ask foreign policy again since its broken down into two dot points
you never know with nesa but i doubt it since they asked it last yr and you would've needed to talk about ideology of foreign policy in that response (the latter fp dotpoint), and in 2019 they assessed the first foreign policy dotpoint

utopianimal

HSC
hi could someone help me out with this,

if a q says Assess the significance of both D-Day and the liberation of France in determining the end of the conflict in Europe. '
or ' How significant were the Russian counter-offensives of 1944 for the final defeat of Germany? '\

can u only talk abt them for 2 bodies and then use another syllabus dot point as in "while russian counter offensives were significant for finaldefeat, britain bombing was also significant"????????????????

radagastthebrown

HSC
hi could someone help me out with this,

if a q says Assess the significance of both D-Day and the liberation of France in determining the end of the conflict in Europe. '
or ' How significant were the Russian counter-offensives of 1944 for the final defeat of Germany? '\

can u only talk abt them for 2 bodies and then use another syllabus dot point as in "while russian counter offensives were significant for finaldefeat, britain bombing was also significant"????????????????
Whilst I don't do conflict in Europe (I do Conflict in the Pacific), generally you should be able to do that. The textbook that I have says to keep at least 60% of your response on the focus of the question. My teacher also says it's a good idea to go 'P1 yes, P2 yes, P3, but it can be argued x was also significant'. Just be cautious and always try to link it back to the original question, because you don't want to veer too far.

la_sportive

HSC
you never know with nesa but i doubt it since they asked it last yr and you would've needed to talk about ideology of foreign policy in that response (the latter fp dotpoint), and in 2019 they assessed the first foreign policy dotpoint
for my national study, they asked in 2022 and 2023 with the diff dot points so yes it is possible

la_sportive

HSC
Whilst I don't do conflict in Europe (I do Conflict in the Pacific), generally you should be able to do that. The textbook that I have says to keep at least 60% of your response on the focus of the question. My teacher also says it's a good idea to go 'P1 yes, P2 yes, P3, but it can be argued x was also significant'. Just be cautious and always try to link it back to the original question, because you don't want to veer too far.
Oh damn I never do that, I usually do one paragraph on the qn (but that's because I make a strong thesis which I link to throughout, so I think it works... at least I get good marks...)

la_sportive

HSC
Oh damn I never do that, I usually do one paragraph on the qn (but that's because I make a strong thesis which I link to throughout, so I think it works... at least I get good marks...)
Ultimately I think it's a safer bet to do 60% unless you have a solid thesis that you're comfortable with arguing or you've practiced doing so in past, like if you have a good argument with only one para on that specific event it's ok (IMO) but equally if you would rather get to the point and not have a sophisticated and more nuanced thesis, then yeah you do have to stick more to the point.

Harry_062

HSC
It shows extensive and breadth of knowledge when you bring in other factors. My teacher always encourages it because sometimes in some dot points there is only enough to write about a paragraph if that’s what they give to ask.
IE if they asked “to what extent was _ the cause of the war” that would be like 1 of probably 4-5 reasons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)