Stage 6?

Excel maybe bad in some cases, most people recommend macquarie over excel

Riviet

HSC
N/A
userdk said:
Which [Stage 6] Textbooks would you recommend,

is EXCEL the way to go ?
Excel chemistry is crap. This is not just my opinion but alot of others'. Not sure about the other excel books though.
Also what subjects will you be doing this year?

userdk

HSC
2U Chemistry
2U Ancient History
2U Modern History
2U Geography

thanks for you suggestions [=

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
for modern history get key features of modern history. it cover's the prelim and hsc course and is written by the best modern history teacher in sydney.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
[highlight]Chemistry textbooks[/highlight] - Conquering Chemistry, Chemistry Contexts 2, Concrete Chemistry, Chemistry Pathways are the main ones that I know of, don't bother with excel as it's not worth the money.

userdk

HSC
Thanks for that everyone [=

Any suggestions for "Ancient History" and "Geography"

Please and Thankyou !

Last edited:

vizman

HSC
Excel chemistry is really crap :mad1: but i've brought conquering chemistry since and its awesome

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
excel to me is crap in general with the exception of maths as it has really good examples ..

felixcthecat

HSC
i was just choosing between macquarie and excel yesterday lol ^^.. well it seems that macquarie has more notes and less excercises while excel has lotsa examples you need to do.. i personally think that excel is set out quite badly, everything's squished together it makes it harder to understand everything.. but then there's this 'physics in a month' (or wutever in a month) or sumthing excel book which has the basic skills.. (i reali don't get y it is called that tho.. heh) so i ended up buying the macquarie study guide plus that excel "... in a month" book for basic revision ^^"'

edit: btw i bought macquarie and 'geo in a month' (excel) for geography yesterday~ just maybe u wanted to kno

Last edited:
P

pLuvia

Probably excel for History?

And why are you only doing 8 units? are you doing 4 units of tafe courses?

Pubert

HSC
I bought conquering chemistry and have seen chemistry in context. My school offer chemistry contexts and chemistry pathways, i was told by former students that chemistry pathways is rather shit.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
pLuvia said:
And why are you only doing 8 units? are you doing 4 units of tafe courses?
Don't forget about the 2 compulsory units of english. Other than the texts/novels in english, you don't really need any supplementary textbooks for english.

P

pLuvia

Oh yeh lol didn't realise :p

This is for preliminary, no supp texts needed for english

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
2U Chemistry
Chemistry Contexts 1 or Conquring Chemistry 1, you might be given one of these text books at school so dont buy it just yet.

2U Ancient History
Excel don't make a prelim ancient history, i'll ask my history teacher on what book to get for ancient history.

2U Modern History
Excel dosen't make a preliminary yr 11 modern history book only a HSC one but it has nothing to do with the yr 11 syllabus and could change so dont get it!!!
Get the History Teachers Assosication modern history study guide but wait till the new one comes out.
Excel's alright for yr 12, but my history teacher told me to get some other book which has both yr 11 and yr 12 modern history combined in it , i cant remember the name i'll ask next week.
Macquarie makes an prelim modern history study guide but it's not so good.

2U Geography
Macquarie i've heard is better than excel.

Last edited:

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
pLuvia said:
For preliminary?
yep for prelim.

history teachers assosication modern history isn't that good but i have the old copy so im not sure about the new one. and wooz i think your talking about key features of modern history. that`s the best textbook ..

P

pLuvia

hopeles5ly said:
yep for prelim.

history teachers assosication modern history isn't that good but i have the old copy so im not sure about the new one. and wooz i think your talking about key features of modern history. that`s the best textbook ..
I don't think it's necessary for year 11 is it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)