Preferences? (1 Viewer)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Re: First Preferences?

Wooz said:
Alot of Graduate med courses have problems with content, esp anatomy. But essentially you end up with the same qualification an MBBS.

I'm looking at the B. Arts/MBBS course at UNSW 7.5 years, If you really want to do science adv go for it. But you must maintain set standards in the combined med program at Usyd and do compulsory non-credit extra-curricular subjects, i've spoken to one guy from ruse who got in but was kicked out of the program. The only real benefit is that you dont have to do GAMSAT.

http://www.medfac.usyd.edu.au/futurestudent/combineddegree/admission/sci-med.php
http://www.science.usyd.edu.au/fstudent/undergrad/course/com-scimed.shtml
MBBS MBBS

ok heres the low down.. wtf will u do with a BSc? after u have ure MBBS?..

truth.. nothing.. why?.. cos if u think about it.. ure best off doing the MBBS/BSc (Med) (Hons) at UNSW/ UNCLE/ Monash/ UWA/UAdel in 7-7.5 yrs.. or MBBS/BSc at UQ in 6 yrs.. USyd is just pressing buttons in naive lil yr 12 minds..

frankly.. ud do BMus or BA if u wanted a rounded education with the MBBS.. the BSc at Usyd is not relevant to MBBS training and Usyd is relying heavily on 'reputation'.. the course isnt that quick either .. so do the BSc(Adv) or BMedSc with the MBBS if u plan to do some physics or chem..

Usyd technically isnt the oldest med school.. thats a lie.. its the first founded.. UMelb was first to take classes in medicine.. so look carefully at all ure options..

I am sitting here looking at my work.. and there are BSc graduates that at my age that would shudder at the workload i am doing.. 7 yrs will let u mature a lil.. nothing more than that.. u wont touch a stethoscope till ur 4th yr of uni at USYD

Chinmoku03

Ippen, Shin de Miru?
HSC

Unwant3d said:
wow, hardly any engineering students here.

B Civil Engineering [Structures] w/ DipEngPrac @ UTS

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!
Eh, I'm considering Sci/Engo, but people said it's more hands on stuff than theory stuff. Lol and I'd be scaring myself if I imagine myself as an engineer, esp when I can't even do a school prac right x.x;

ssglain

HSC

SoulSearcher:
I'm just a bit unsure as to the order in which I should put the two. That's why I put the UAI cut-offs there. Not for whatever else reason nichhhole seems to be good-humouredly implying - UAC won't look any further down my list if I satisfy the criteria for the first. I could end up in a program that I might regret if I'm not careful with this.

I did talk to a lot of past/current students and staff at both med faculties. Most of them, as expected, persuaded me to apply for their own as first preference, which is why the family friend's comment stood out. It's kind of hard to scrap USyd from my preferences because it's been there, at the top, for a number of years but I guess it's pointless to keep it there anymore if I'm not going to name it my first preference.

Thank you and good luck to you, too.

Wooz:
One of the reasons that I'm not so keen about the USyd program is that it's not really "combined" as they claim it. The MBBS part is essentially graduate, which means that, like +Po1ntDeXt3r+ said, there won't be any clinically aspect until fourth year. Good luck with your path. I think MBBS/BArts at UNSW sounds great, and maybe I'll see you there for the med part at least.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+:
As to "wtf" I will do with a BSci(Adv) - you're right, probably nothing career-wise. It probably won't give me a more "rounded education" but a major in advanced mathematics would definitely do me some good spiritually even if it has little relevance to any medical profession. I admit that USyd's reputation and the seemingly impossible cut-off are tempting for my naive mind, but the USyd's mathematics faculty is what's really pressing the buttons here.

I understand and agree with what you said about options, but it is not an option for me to leave Sydney. If I could go interstate, yeah I'll probably pick UMelb, but so far I can only eenie meenie between USyd, UNSW and UWS.
So which degree are you working towards now?

Last edited:

michael.di.man

HSC

Hey guys, I'm in Year 11 now, and I want to know how important extra-curricular activities are to admissions for high-end course like medicine and law. Is it an integral to the interview or can you just do the interview without many extra-curricular activites? Because though I have quite a bit of stuff from Junior school, my CV this year is looking rather empty....does it really matter?

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC

michael.di.man said:
Hey guys, I'm in Year 11 now, and I want to know how important extra-curricular activities are to admissions for high-end course like medicine and law. Is it an integral to the interview or can you just do the interview without many extra-curricular activites? Because though I have quite a bit of stuff from Junior school, my CV this year is looking rather empty....does it really matter?
I havent heard of any extra-curricular stuff being included in the selection process before ? .. =S
but don`t quote me on that :p

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC

ssglain said:
like +Po1ntDeXt3r+ said, there won't be any clinically aspect until fourth year. Good luck with your path. I think MBBS/BArts at UNSW sounds great, and maybe I'll see you there for the med part at least.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+:
As to "wtf" I will do with a BSci(Adv) - you're right, probably nothing career-wise. It probably won't give me a more "rounded education" but a major in advanced mathematics would definitely do me some good spiritually even if it has little relevance to any medical profession. I admit that USyd's reputation and the seemingly impossible cut-off are tempting for my naive mind, but the USyd's mathematics faculty is what's really pressing the buttons here.

I understand and agree with what you said about options, but it is not an option for me to leave Sydney. If I could go interstate, yeah I'll probably pick UMelb, but so far I can only eenie meenie between USyd, UNSW and UWS.
So which degree are you working towards now?
im in my MBBS at rAdelaide 2.3 yrs to go :)
actually u dun do clinical in Usyd still ur 5th yr lol of uni.. cos u do PBL for 2 yrs.. thats like tutes style

MBBS dedicated programs do clinical for 3-4 yrs at a minimum starting from 2nd yr
Grad MBBS do about 2-2.5ish from yr 2

ud take uMELB if only u werent only eligible for their grad program :p

if u wnat to do mathematics.. depending on wat topic u can actualli do it.. but its all about self-directed work

Grad med is good too but realli pick a better degree choice than the BAdvSc.. ..

also u study about 40-50 hrs a week in medicine to keep ahead

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC

s-AINT said:
I'll be adding the Bachelor of Nursing @ UTS to my preference list.
gracie007 said:
At least I'm not the only one who has considered nursing.

magpam said:
yes *cough* there are better things to do than commerce
yeh especially when it needs english standard and maths ext1 and some guy who does esl and 2u maths wants to pick commerce

somewhereelse

HSC

so ... as i understand it, if you get your first choice, they dont give you any other choices, but if you dont get given your first choice, you can get offered more than one other choice? correct?

in that case, i'm putting liberal studies (international) at sydney as my first...! 99.1 or something crazy like that

fatemjay

rof
HSC

B Engineering / B Commerce @ UNSW
B Engineering / B Laws @ UNSW

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC

wow , seems to be quite a few humanities/engineering people this year.

HSC

1. B/Commerce @UOW
2. B/Arts @UOW

That is all. I MAY chuck a double degree in there in commerce/psych but realistically, I'm not going to get a UAI in the 90's so yep.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC

we need more forensic scientists :D

Scorch

HSC

My first preference was a Bachelor of Arts (Advanced) (Honours) at Sydney University. I'd most likely study Ancient History, Archaeology and the like.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC

somewhereelse said:
so ... as i understand it, if you get your first choice, they dont give you any other choices, but if you dont get given your first choice, you can get offered more than one other choice? correct?

in that case, i'm putting liberal studies (international) at sydney as my first...! 99.1 or something crazy like that
I thought u then got offered your second or the next preference if you meet the criteria/uai cut-off, etc. But you can always change your preferences around in the second round of offers.

Scorch said:
My first preference was a Bachelor of Arts (Advanced) (Honours) at Sydney University. I'd most likely study Ancient History, Archaeology and the like.
I've always wanted to do B.A (ADV, HONs)/MBBS, but i wont make the but, but im def going to do an B.A degrree, I might do this course part-time in the future after under-grad med.

Last edited:

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC

basically if you dont get your first choice, you prob missed the cut off, so they will go down 1 by 1 to see whether or not you meet the criteria.

Scorch

HSC

They basically go from your first to your last preference, and give you an offer for each one you're eligible for.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC

But be sure about your first, second, third preferences, because once you miss out the main round, the late round may already begin closing Vacancies. i.e. B Health Science at USyd did that in 2005/06.

Hahah Jemsta....no way! We need more medical scientists :)

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A

"-OMG im so not doin med at uws, they've a small like a small canteen dudez, like omg im an individual who ultimaztely will be involved in contributing to a better health care system for australian people and here I amz bickering about sandstone buildings ffs. Dudes and OMGS ima pwnt the interviews with me attitude, like rock and roll niggarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)