5. Biomedical Science @ the University of Technology [City]
6. Science @ the University of Western Sydney [Camp..]

I just want out of usyd'z medsci

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
Re: First Preferences?

Scorch said:
They basically go from your first to your last preference, and give you an offer for each one you're eligible for.
you sure ?
i`ve heard that after your first preference , they`ll move down (like you said) through the preferences , but only offer you a spot at the first one which you`re eligible for (i.e. if you get accepted for your 2nd preference , you wont get offers for 3rd , 4th .. preferences)

thats what i thought/read i think. correct me if i`m wrong ^^

Scorch

HSC

xclusv2bhung said:
you sure ?
i`ve heard that after your first preference , they`ll move down (like you said) through the preferences , but only offer you a spot at the first one which you`re eligible for (i.e. if you get accepted for your 2nd preference , you wont get offers for 3rd , 4th .. preferences)

thats what i thought/read i think. correct me if i`m wrong ^^
Sorry, you're right. That's what I meant to write, I'm not quite sure why I didn't. Brain explosion, I suppose. :p

beentherdunthat

HSC

xclusv2bhung said:
you sure ?
:wave: Yeah, I heard this was the method too!!! You only get one offer, even if you're eligible for others, starting from the most wanted to least wanted. That's ofcourse, if you don't reject the offer, then I assume they move down the list... seems a tedious process if you be so picky, so choose right!!! (No pressure no pressure hehehe) :)

samuel slack

HSC

Argh!! Why do we have to make decisions that affect our future! Its crazy! I'm thinking either Law, psychology, or an arts degree majoring in Ancient History. Thats about as far as my thinking has got me. And thats only if i can pull a UAI for the first two. -.-

lexonfire

HSC

samuel slack said:
Argh!! Why do we have to make decisions that affect our future! Its crazy! I'm thinking either Law, psychology, or an arts degree majoring in Ancient History. Thats about as far as my thinking has got me. And thats only if i can pull a UAI for the first two. -.-
oh pfft. its only decisions about our future... :p i get what you mean. but making these decisions is exciting for me, mostly because i am so ready to move on. (GRADUATION in 5 weeks!)

ur choices are so different from each other! what uai u reckon u'll get at this point?

ssglain

HSC

xclusv2bhung said:
I've also heard that your chances for being accepted into a course decreases as UAC moves further down your list because of the set intake quota for each course. So say that you listed Bachelor of X at UX as your 3rd preference. The course has a UAI cut-off of 9x.xx and an intake quota of 100 places. UAC makes offers to 100 other people with the required UAI and who listed this course as their 1st or 2nd preference. Once the quota has been filled, you won't get an offer even if you have a much higher UAI than the cut-off.

Some student liaison from UWS told me that last year, they didn't even look at people who listed UWS's MBBS course below 2nd preference because they'd already had enough people to interview. I've heard many stories about people with very high UAIs who missed out on offers because of this and it's making me feel a bit worried.

---
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
im in my MBBS at rAdelaide 2.3 yrs to go :)
actually u dun do clinical in Usyd still ur 5th yr lol of uni.. cos u do PBL for 2 yrs.. thats like tutes style

MBBS dedicated programs do clinical for 3-4 yrs at a minimum starting from 2nd yr
Grad MBBS do about 2-2.5ish from yr 2

if u wnat to do mathematics.. depending on wat topic u can actualli do it.. but its all about self-directed work

Grad med is good too but realli pick a better degree choice than the BAdvSc.. ..

also u study about 40-50 hrs a week in medicine to keep ahead
A while ago I talked with someone who is doing grad MBBS at USyd. She was praising PBL as the best learning system for a variety of reasons, but I guess it depends on personal preference.

I'm becoming less and less inclined towards USyd the more I think and talk about it. The main factor being that, like you said, USyd's so-called combined program basically operates as a bachelor degree/grad MBBS pathway minus the GAMSAT, and that's really not very much of an attraction. I will find out how much and what level of maths I will be permitted to take in the MBBS programs at UNSW/UWS and see if that will suit my interest. I do value your advice - so thank you. :)

Season

HSC

michael.di.man said:
Hey guys, I'm in Year 11 now, and I want to know how important extra-curricular activities are to admissions for high-end course like medicine and law. Is it an integral to the interview or can you just do the interview without many extra-curricular activites? Because though I have quite a bit of stuff from Junior school, my CV this year is looking rather empty....does it really matter?
Technically no

For law, unless you miss the cut-off you don't even have to bother.

If you do miss the cut-off when you write your sob story to the dean saying, "omgosh you've always wanted to be a lawyer" its pretty useful to have some past experience you can back that up with. Like... I love public speaking and debating in fact I'm captain of debating. I did work experience here here and here, here are the recommendations I recieved. I represented my state at the UNYA conference, I'm awesome and if you don't let me in I'll just try again.

Now that has worked for a couple of people, but yes its only necessary if you miss the cut-off.

Medicine is different, for most unis (some unis more then other) part of the application process is the interview where they bombard you with questions about why you want to be a doctor, being a leader, being a nice person, having a life outside of school, etc. etc. You've got to remember this is probably the arguably hardest courses to get into in terms of competition. One of my friends wants to get into all the same courses as I do (medicine) and she's freaking represented Australia in Science, as well as people who are overqualified friendly freaks.

The absolute minimum to get past an interview in my view would be to have work experience.

That being said if you're a genius you probably won't need this info :)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC

ssglain said:
A while ago I talked with someone who is doing grad MBBS at USyd. She was praising PBL as the best learning system for a variety of reasons, but I guess it depends on personal preference.

I'm becoming less and less inclined towards USyd the more I think and talk about it. The main factor being that, like you said, USyd's so-called combined program basically operates as a bachelor degree/grad MBBS pathway minus the GAMSAT, and that's really not very much of an attraction. I will find out how much and what level of maths I will be permitted to take in the MBBS programs at UNSW/UWS and see if that will suit my interest. I do value your advice - so thank you. :)
well u obviously havent researched ure PBL courses.. cos Adelaide has the longest PBL time.. 3 per week for 3 yrs.. of it.. i suffered.. it suffers if u are not dedicated.. or not all there..:p

elseany

HSC

are we charged the processing fee once or everytime we change our preferences? because i have a feeling im going to be changing my mind.... alot :|

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC

im pretty sure the processing fee is a one off....you wont get charged extra if you do decide to change your preferences.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC

Cythen said:
Was interested to see what everyone's first preference is looking to be so far...

I'll start off:

Bachelor of Arts in Communication (Media Arts & Production) @ UTS

How about you guys?

(appologies if there is already a thread for this)
^ this is the course I want to do too. is very nice.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC

elseany said:
are we charged the processing fee once or everytime we change our preferences? because i have a feeling im going to be changing my mind.... alot :|
One-off processing fee only (+late fee if you are late).
Phone costs apply if you change preferences by phone, otherwise do it online.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC

B Business/ B Science in IT at UTS --- :)

It's a toss between the above course and B Business at UTS....but most likely the first course

Beege

HSC

tanjin said:
B Business/ B Science in IT at UTS --- :)

It's a toss between the above course and B Business at UTS....but most likely the first course
I'm trying to get into that too but if I get lower than 85 in business on the day the results release then I will only do the bscit

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC

elseany said:
nah you wont lol.
you can change as much as you like.
i`ve changed mine twice since i applied =P

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC

Beege said:
I'm trying to get into that too but if I get lower than 85 in business on the day the results release then I will only do the bscit
why? :confused: What difference will it make?

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC

noir. said:
Yaaaahhh I sorted out my preferences and applied this evening

1) 609345 Bachelor of Arts in Communication (Social Inquiry) and Int Stds - University of Technology, Sydney

2) 608020 Bachelor of Arts in Communication (Social Inquiry) - University of Technology, Sydney

3) 601060 Bachelor of Design in Interior Design - University of Technology, Sydney

4) 608030 Bachelor of Arts in Communication (Journalism)- University of Technology, Sydney

5) 608040 Bachelor of Arts in Communication (Media Arts & Production) - University of Technology, Sydney

6) 300131 Bachelor of International Studies - Macquarie University

7) 511219 Bachelor of Global Studies - University of Sydney

8) 300142 Bachelor of Arts in Media and Cultural Studies - Macquarie University,

9) 362029 Bachelor of Arts in International Studies/Bachelor of Communications (Journalism) - University of Canberra
wow 9 whole preferences.
onya , noir =]

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC

noir. said:
Haha yeh i wanted to apply to ALL communications courses at UTS but i couldn't fit it in. UTS is sexy.
lmaoz.
how many did you actually have in mind ?

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC

Just finished applying, although I'm pretty sure courses 2-9 will change in order, or be changed entirely.

1 - 511801 Bachelor of Laws (Combined Law Degrees) - full time at University of Sydney

2 - 426000 Bachelor of Combined Law - full time at UNSW

3 - 512041 Bachelor of Science (Advanced) - full or part time at University of Sydney

4 - 609060 Bachelor of Science Bachelor of Laws - full time at University of Technology, Sydney, City campus

5 - 429013 Bachelor of Science (Advanced Science) or Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics) - full time at UNSW

6 - 604000 Bachelor of Laws - full time at University of Technology, Sydney, City campus

7 - 300305 Bachelor of Science with Bachelor of Laws - full time at Macquarie University, North Ryde campus

8 - 512040 Bachelor of Science - full or part time at University of Sydney

9 - 429000 Bachelor of Science - full time at UNSW

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)